Post-Thruxton Post Mortem

5 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

Ooh does this mean we might have two Vitesses on track at Castle Combe? 

Seems this is a risk*, one considerably fiercer than the other though…..

*(assuming mine survives having it’s ass kicked halfway round the country next weekend)

• 4 weeks later...

I fear that the Curse of Thruxton strikes again!

I was happy to be 38th in a massive grid of  44 cars, with a best lap of 1:44.7 secs.  There was only one other Triumph on the grid, Andrew Hall in a 2.6L TR6, who was four swcobds quicker.  Race start was marred by a three car collision further up the grid (when will we have rolling starts?)  which led to several Safety Car laps, but then we got going, and I made it to the obligatory pitstop.    From there I got into some fine dicing, using my late braking to stay ahead of others, but then...

I used too much power on the exit of the chicane before the Start/Finish straight, spin, couldn't catch it and ended in the inside Armco.    Rather like Cadwell, Pete!    But this time a rather harder impact.     I was fine, the marshals were superb, determined to secure my safety, almost before their own.

carafterthruxton.thumb.jpg.5ff8722fdae84317026c3780791e66d3.jpg

But Fate was not finished with me yet.   I loaded up, and set off home.  Stopped for a double espresso, and on returning to the van found that my 'pit bike' had fallen off the stand on the tow bar.    The rear wheel had been dragging on the road and been smashed.

bikeafterThruxton.thumb.jpg.df22f462921fae6276d7df2e68894b41.jpg

A quick preliminary to this PM finds that the bumper bar is severely, er, bumped, the rad is pushed back, the front of one chassis rail bent up.     The bonnet is probably scrap, the front valance is.    I've lost a front over-rider and other is scrap.

Oh, and my new GoPro, that should have recorded all this?  IT DOESN'T F&^%&^% WORK!   I tested it in the paddock - one press, beep, it's on.  Press again, beep, beep, beep, it's off.   In assembly, ZILCH!

origin of 'back to the drawing board' | word histories

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

The bonnet is probably scrap, the front valance is.    I've lost a front over-rider and other is scrap.

Hello John

I have a fibreglass bonnet and a valance that I do not need and need to get rid of so if you are interested I will sort out some photos of the bonnet as it needs minor repairs but has the bonnet tubes fitted and a couple of vents in it?

The valance is unused but probably the Herald one (not sure of the differences!)

Roger

That's motor racing.     I once saw Aston Martins racing, one was matt black, which was a bit off for Astons!    I was told, "Oh that caught fire yesterday!   They repaired it overnight, but not the charred paintwork, so the owner bought all the rattle cans of matt black in the nearest  shop and they sprayed in the pit garage!"  That's the spirit!

The last time I asked Honeybourne, they were reluctant to make another GRP bonnet "as the mould is floppy", so Roger, I'm most grateful for your offer!

A Herald valance can be modified to accommodate the forward radiator.

Please PM me and we may discuss the deal!

John

Edited by JohnD

4 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

Does anyone still make fibreglass Vitesse bonnets?

Colin? :ninja::tongue:

I jest…. Honeybourne I think, but have no doubt there are many used ones needing gainful employment if they can only be found.

Bad luck John, 3 times over. You were obviously going well though!

Edit: I see I should read the thread properly before posting…. That’s the bonnet from Alan I presume Roger?

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Edit: I see I should read the thread properly before posting…. That’s the bonnet from Alan I presume Roger?

Hello Nick

Yes and I do need to get rid of some ?

I think 3 spare onesDSC05451.thumb.JPG.bc4b71985eba05dafce4054d69710827.JPG is pushing it?

Roger

ps If John does not want it does anyone else want it and a fibreglass Valance(Herald type new never been fitted)

plus the race bonnet is going spare as well!

DSC05446.JPG

DSC05447.JPG

DSC05448.JPG

DSC05449.JPG

DSC05452.JPG

DSC05453.JPG

DSC00572.JPG

DSC00573.JPG

May be speaking out of turn but pretty sure the one shown on the car is FG and Alan's competition bonnet.  IIRC he also had a very nice steel one matching the car colour, which I would imagine Roger has refitted, making the FG one surplus.....

11 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

May be speaking out of turn but pretty sure the one shown on the car is FG and Alan's competition bonnet.  IIRC he also had a very nice steel one matching the car colour, which I would imagine Roger has refitted, making the FG one surplus.....

Hello Nick

The one shown on the car is steel as well but his race bonnet 

I will refit the original one so that is spare as well

Plus I have another one which i bought to replace the one on the now sold vitesse (which is very solid and just needs very minor work doing before painting

I really need to down size all this stuff or the kids will just scrap it when I snuff it!

Roger

That sucks John, but I suspect a dedicated racer has the same mental attitude about the race car as I do about my skydiving cameras.  

Once they get into freefall I assume they’re going to be lost or broken on every jump, and while I protect them as much as I can, I know I’m the one placing them at risk, and a single error from me or someone else means they’re gone and I have to replace them.

The GoPro failure is avoidable, have you considered a remote control on a wrist mount that will let you see that it’s running?

Thanks, Craig, my attitude isn't quite as philosophical as yours - after all, I'm riding in the camera, as itwere!

I have a remote control, but wired, to a switch on the dash, with light that shows when the camera is on.  I tested it in the workshop at home and then in the paddock.  Haven't extracted the camera to see if those produced short sequences.    But in assembly the button didn't action anything!  Flat battery?

Meanwhile, back in the mortuary, here are some pics of the damage.   Schadenfreude on standby!

2ndpostThruxtonpm1.thumb.jpg.93f9abbb3a0525cfa4b8bbd3841ed11c.jpg 

Rad pushed back, crushing the hose.  Note that curved thingy under the air filter.

2ndpostThruxtonpm2.thumb.jpg.df7906b56fad5163ac1e0a88ec7c48a7.jpg

That used to be a stay, helping to keep the rad upright.  It was straight.

2ndpostThruxtonpm3.thumb.jpg.27294e59b621b0f989da79ad559a68bf.jpg

The alternator chewed up...

2ndpostThruxtonpm4.thumb.jpg.28a11437e3353d5693ff77cc8cdce348.jpg

the oil cooler.

2ndThruxtonpm7.thumb.jpg.1c317a2f539312796e034edf0e8d45fe.jpg

and the electric fan chewed up the water rad.

2ndpostThruxtonpm6.thumb.jpg.dcd1221211e6297dae141a142645f943.jpg

because the front bumper bar extensions to the chassis rails was pushed up and back.

That's the damage.    Well, we have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first Super-Vitesse. SofS will be that car. Better than it was before. Better... stronger... faster.

Taken before .....

T07-05-23016010424.thumb.jpg.f7af30d9f1a2e51f91c41b35571ec32d.jpg

John

• Like 1

My knowledge of GoPros is limited John, but by any chance have set it to take timelapse photos instead of video? We had some on lifeboat we were testing (it never went anywhere, it was a bright idea spawned from the Saving Lives at Sea program). We often found that they could be easily changed from video to time lapse without the users knowing! One of many reasons we abandoned the idea.........

Phil

Hello John

Its all fixable but is a bugger and we feel for you.

The bonnet you are having off me is not conkers but with TLC will help get the car on the race track again and it has the pivot loop which is good as yours must be a bit bent and they are a tube in a tube! which would be a bugger to straighten I expect.

Roger