Post-Thruxton Post Mortem

The race is looking to be a corker!    Entry list shows 16 Gp2s with eight Ginettae/Loti, who usually zoom off and have their own race.   Leaving three Reliant Sabres and FIVE TRiumphs!    No seven litre Camaros etc, who lap us, just a TR6x2, TR5, TR4 and me!     Should be a very Triumph race!

So many from Gp1 have entered the meeting that another six of them have been appended, which will add to the fun.

Hope to see you there!

John

Edited by JohnD

Pete, I might be at Donington on the 10th, I will be at Kop Hill on the 25th - the last is lot nearer London!

Michael, O/d electrics check out, the solenoid moves correctly, I even checked the oil filter, all clear (but half a gear boxful of oil on the floor!)    So if it works, it works, if not higher revs!   I can't investigate, or fix, anything else!

Rev counter  also failed last test drive, but it was just the earth wire had fallen off the gauge.

But all that and it was too late this evening to disturb my neighbours with a test run, I'll go tomorrow.  Hoping for a H-A-P-P-Y like Ken Miles in the film!

Colin, CSCC has been known to go to Knockhill - I will let you know!

John

Edited by JohnD

Now I realise that I am becoming the Moaning Myrtle of Hogwarts Sideways College

Moaning Myrtle Harry Potter GIF - Moaning Myrtle Harry ...

but these Common Room discussions are so helpful!  This time, I'll be grateful for the help of the Electrical Engineers, please!

Test drive today - A-OK!    I can't get the O/drive to work, maybe it suffered in my previous stressing of the box (don't test run the engine without oil in the gear-box - Doh!)  but it's not essential, just helpful.  Everything else works!

Except for the horns.   Once again, not a necessity on track, but the car is supposed to be road-legal and I test it on the public highway, so a good thing to have.   But all I get from the horn push on the steering wheel is slight fluttering from the horns.   OK, out with the multimeter.

Two horns, Hi-Tone and Lo-Tone,  wired in parallel and always live.     Both should get 12V, and they do!  Downstream of the horns goes to the 'pencil' in the steering wheel hub, and there's a full 12V there too.    That contacts the horn button in the wheel hub, which makes a good contact when you press it, to earth the circuit via the steering column       The column has a good  earth.   The horns should sound together, but they don't!

Earthing the horns directly to an earth bolt in the bulkhead, sounds both.   And individually too.

But earthing the 'pencil' in the hub, sounds only the Hi-Tone horn.   

Using a short wire to connect the 'pencil' and the steering column gets the same  Hi-Tone only.    As does pressing the horn button in the usual way,  just the Hi-Tone horn!   And that is iffy. 

I'm thinking there must be a poor contact somewhere, with a high resistance that reduces the volts available at the horns.   But  each part of the circuit seems fine.   Suggestions, please, for further investigation?

Thanks, 

John

Experienced exactly same John.

Crud builds up on the brass ends of the pencil and brass contacts on the push and column ring.

A de-fluff and buff up of these and making sure all the bullet connectors are tight does the job. Usually. 

The other one I used to get on the old Mk4 was hitting a bump and the horns sticking on due to the sliding joint sliding and shorting out the push. Very embarrassing. 

Agree the pencil is the likely culprit.  Clean and clean again.  Make sure the brass protrudes beyond the perspex outer at the bottom (top?) end.

Also don't overlook the earth strap around the rubber universal joint.

I think your circuit does not have a relay?  If it does the contacts might benefit from a clean.

Definitely a poor connection somewhere, the horns draw a large current so will expose a weakness.

Unfortunately can't make it over to watch you this weekend, but have fun

Strange coincidence but my O/D stopped working last weekend, definitely an electrical fault because I could hear the relay clicking but no power was lighting the warning lamp (which picks up 12v at the O/D solenoid). 

Then yesterday I found the horn wasn't working either. Which was good news because it meant a fuse had blown, and indeed changing the fuse solved both problems. But that evidently isn't your problem John, unless you've somehow got the low horn fused separately from the high, which would be unusual.

Sounds like you may have a number of high resistance points adding up. Horns pull a fairly high current so volt drop can be a problem.

Earth path, or lack of, from the column can be the problem. From the factory cars had an earth link strap on the flexible coupling (not needed if using a UJ) and an earth strap from rack to chassis.

A multi meter test in this situation is only partially useful as although it proves some continuity, it doesn’t prove the circuit can carry current. You need a high ish wattage test light for that (old headlight bulb for example)

• 1 month later...

Weekend after next, 29th October, I'll be at Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire for the last race of the season, and my first after the revision of the fuel system.   And a spare gearbox!

I have three spare tickets, if any Triumpheroes would like to come along.    Please PM me?

The programme includes Lotus Sevens, and clones, Modern/Future Classics, and Swinging 60s Groups 1 and 2 (Two races).    Gp.1 practices at1020 and races at 1520, Gp.2(mine)at 1140 and 1710.   30 minute practice, 40 minute race, with pitstop.  Glad of assistance with that if anyone would like to take part.

John

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I posted about the Cadwell event elsewhere: Cadwell Park 2022 - Events and Motorsports - Sideways Technologies (sideways-technologies.co.uk)

Now, I've entered for the CSCC's Thruxton event, 7th May.   Nick will recall the debacle last time, two laps of practice and a burst engine, so I'm spitting in the Devil's Eye and he can do his worst!   I'll report here later.

Thruxton1-5-21.thumb.jpg.8201ae3c4c49f97f78131bfd359b12f7.jpg

That's a rising, not a setting sun!     I'll be glad  to see any Triumpheroes there!

John

Edited by JohnD

Hello John 

I hope you have better luck  this time 

I still think of the the time we met at Mallory park with my late best mate and we fumbled with your seat belt as you had get out and back into your car in the race and Me and John were like laurel and hardy!

But it was fun is that not what is about?

And as my old Mother used to say there is no pockets in shrouds or similar!

Me and the Memsahib are off the Spain again in about 8 weeks !

The first half will be seeing castles etc then the second bit Pyrenees 

We will have the useiual arguments over map reading or lack of it but a bottle of Fizz and maybe a leg over will get over it!

It is just life ?

Roger

DSC03563.JPG

DSC03555.JPG

DSC03566.JPG

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

I posted about the Cadwell event elsewhere: Cadwell Park 2022 - Events and Motorsports - Sideways Technologies (sideways-technologies.co.uk)

Now, I've entered for the CSCC's Thruxton event, 7th May.   Nick will recall the debacle last time, two laps of practice and a burst engine, so I'm spitting in the Devil's Eye and he can do his worst!   I'll report here later.

Thruxton1-5-21.thumb.jpg.8201ae3c4c49f97f78131bfd359b12f7.jpg

That's a rising, not a setting sun!     I'll be glad  to see any Triumpheroes there!

John

Bon chance mon ami!