Spain and Castles

rogerguzzi

44 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

ps What do you all think the field of stones were for?

Roger

DSC05865.JPG

They are anti tank defences.

That monument looks like it's to a vulture. Which is quite unusual...

I see what you mean about the pebble dash look. Are those craters from the hailstones? A shame Roger but at least you are not letting it spoil your holiday which is good.

You are certainly getting around. Keep the fun going 

Gosh, Roger (and the MemSahib!) its as if were there with you!    Lovely pics!

If you will and can, a little captioning, please?   Those ?rafters? at the first castle, and the ?mine entrances? near the vulure sculpture?

John

Hello John

The rafters are for the castle as it is being rebuilt as it Community owed for about 20 years

They are not mine entrances they are were the stored the wine in the old days (we saw lots of them and they have little chimneys I suppose to let the fumes out?)

Roger

DSC05706.JPG

DSC05708.JPG

DSC05710.JPG

DSC05809.JPG

DSC05811.JPG

DSC05832.JPG

DSC05839.JPG

DSC05841.JPG

DSC05858.JPG

DSC05876.JPG

4 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

They are anti tank defences.

Hello 

I agree but we were about 3,000 to 3,500 feet up? in the middle of nowhere?

Roger

ps only 2 days to go !

Still these 2 daft old buggers are making plans for next year!(its not a rehearsal for the next life!)

23 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

I agree but we were about 3,000 to 3,500 feet up? in the middle of nowhere?

But in the civil war it would have been the front line Roger. Guernica is in that part of the country 

Map_of_the_Spanish_Civil_War_in_September_1936.png.a4605fb076f8f505436b942200abd070.png

Make the most of the time and enjoy.

And get stuck in with planning for the next adventure :biggrin:

I'm sure that Roger plans in good time!    But I'm off to the CLM tomorrow, and only just recalled that my old road map of France was falling apart and that I had chucked it.     Added to my list of last minute supplies, I visited the two book shops in Lancaster and some others that I hoped might have one.     But the shelves were bare!    They had them for Britain, Ireland and one small roadbook that covered  the entire sub-continent of Europe, in eye-watering small print.

Is everyone 'staycationing'?

Hope I can find one at a service station on the way down to Dover!

John

Hello All

This will be the last Blog thing until we are home and I will do a round up off miles covered and total cost when all the Visa's catch up

We left the really nice place we stayed at which was a retreat in the old days and headed across county by some wonderful roads a scenery to take your breath away (Again)

We stopped in Riano for a snack there I had some good news I think?

I saw a group of Motorcyclists come to the cafe we were at and I said to the Memsahib I think I know one of them it is the son of a good motorcycling friend who passed away a few years ago and the last time I saw him I was with my other Best Mate ever on our way back from the Spa Classic and doing some WW1 visiting and we were in Wipers (Ypres)

So as we were leaving I said are you the son of Moss and he said yes and remebered my name and we got chatting

I told him about Spittys pebble dash fininsh and he said straight away your insurance will cover it(his dad was in insurance and he is he works for the firm that took over Footman James!)

So Roger potentially a much happier Bunny!

So then we head up throught the Picos to the coast for a 2 night chalet by Llanes

I think we have covered about 1750+ miles up to now so will be about 2,000 by the time we are home(not bad for a combined age of 195 year old unit)

Roger and the Memsahib

DSC05905.JPG

DSC05906.JPG

DSC05907.JPG

DSC05908.JPG

DSC05911.JPG

DSC05912.JPG

DSC05915.JPG

DSC05927.JPG

DSC05928.JPG

DSC05931.JPG

DSC05932.JPG

DSC05939.JPG

DSC05940.JPG

DSC05941.JPG

DSC05943.JPG

DSC05945.JPG

DSC05946.JPG

DSC05947.JPG

DSC05948.JPG

DSC05949.JPG

DSC05951.JPG

Hello nick no we were in  hotel room and some hails stones looked like golf balls!!

I hope the man is right and Spitty will get a new coat and the new bonnet that I bought 4years ago! Still you can not rush things?

Still it will have to wait until the winter as I have about 10 new windows being delivered on Friday that will keep me busy for a while?

Roger and the Memsahib heading back to Blighty after another Great trip to Spain

Hello All

Nearly in Blighty now!

We have just bought 6 more bottles of Vino Tinto(seemed rude not to?)

So what,s stopping you all doing similar?( you are mere Kids compared to us!)

The Young at Heart Roger(but old in body)and the young Memsahib!!

Glad you ( and the MemSahib) are (nearly) back safe.  I did look for a red Spit coming back while waiting at Dover to cross over!

In the past I've always found that the wine you buy on hols, under the influence of sun, heat and possibly some opened bottles, is disappointing!  They used to give the amount you could bring back in litres, which wasn't a whole number of bottles, and Linda and I fell foul of a Customs man one year, when we each declared a different number of bottles!   Yesterday, the ferry had posters saying that the limit was 24 bottles, so I hope you have that many!

John

1 minute ago, JohnD said:

Glad you ( and the MemSahib) are (nearly) back safe.  I did look for a red Spit coming back while waiting at Dover to cross over!

In the past I've always found that the wine you buy on hols, under the influence of sun, heat and possibly some opened bottles, is disappointing!  They used to give the amount you could bring back in litres, which wasn't a whole number of bottles, and Linda and I fell foul of a Customs man one year, when we each declared a different number of bottles!   Yesterday, the ferry had posters saying that the limit was 24 bottles, so I hope you have that many!

John

Hello John the fizz we have been drinking for 2 weeks and tasted the one on the ferry we would need good eye sight we and landing in Plymouth! 

Roger

Hello All

Back home in Blighty and we covered 2,076 miles on Spitts speedo!

We got home about 20.45 and held a nice 70+ mph from the Exeter services 

I will work out the MPG after the next fill up and cost when visa's all in!

But other than the Hailstone damage and Spitty running a bit lean before I turned off the other sensor it has been a Wonderfull trip and we have seen some great sites and views again as you have seen and is one they can not take away from us!

Roger and the Happy Memsahib

ps roll on next year we already have rough plans in mind!

Will we ever grow up? or even worse grow old?

DSC05525.JPG

DSC05537.JPG

DSC05552.JPG

DSC05677.JPG

DSC05752.JPG

DSC05766.JPG

DSC05829.JPG

DSC05837.JPG

DSC05851.JPG

DSC05889.JPG

DSC05906.JPG

DSC05940.JPG

DSC05949.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All

A final round up !

We covered 2100 miles and were away for 3 weeks less 9 hours!

We used 50 gallons of fuel so averaged 42mpg (Motorways to Mountain Passes) so not bad  I think

The total cost of the trip even including Holiday insurance(which is for the year)

Was near as Dam it £3,100

We recon that is very good value for money considering what we did and saw and expereanced!

Roger and The Memsahib

ps plans in hand for next year now just waiting for Ferry bookings to open and one Accomadtion to be bookable!

pps still waiting for the quote for Spitty repair but I did call at the paint shop I use to get the colour mached but the man was not there but I got prices for all the paint etc needed and it was only about £200 for 2.5lt of top and under coat plus about 5lt good thinners and 10lt of cooking thinners and filler etc.

As you know I have a new bonnet waiting to be fitted so I have not told the Memsahib yet but I may do it myself over the winter?

I would buy a cheap poly tunnel to fit in the garge to spray in as I do not want an Orange garage and may even get one of those cheap diesel fuel heaters.

Or I may just leave it all as a badge of Honor and spend the insurance money on the next Trip? (so the kids will get less for it when I snuff it? Tough!!)

DSC05953.JPG

DSC05955.JPG

DSC05959.JPG

DSC05957.JPG

DSC05956.JPG