Today I, Bollocks.....

Yes, I was led to it too.   Nice pic!     I don't know "Derbyshire Car Spotter" at all.  His (?) Facebook page is full of all sorts of cars.

RR,

I was banned - well, I've been banned from the Triumph International, but that's a different story - from a well known US astronomy message board for describing astrology as "bullshit".       I was told that children might read the site.  Some admins (and officials) are just power mad.

John

48 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I was banned - well, I've been banned from the Triumph International, but that's a different story - from a well known US astronomy message board for describing astrology as "bullshit".       I was told that children might read the site.  Some admins (and officials) are just power mad.

:laugh: given that it's a country afraid of using the word toilet it's surprising that they left it at a ban and didn't call in an airstrike to purge the world of you awfulness John. 

On 3/28/2024 at 11:28 AM, JohnD said:

A domestic "Bollocks!" 

We all use those spray bottles of cleaner around the house, but it seems a shame, especially when we should re-use and recycle, to throw a working spray bottle away just because  its empty   Many are made by Unilever, including the one I favour, 'Cif'. 

Unilever marketed  small refill bottles of the concentrated cleaning solution, each about a tenth the size of the spray bottle without any spray, that easily emptied into the original bottle and was topped up with tap water.      The refill bottles were recyclable.

Were, because they disappeared from my supermarket, and when I asked Unilever, they said they had stopped making refills!   No explanation, although previously the supermarket told me they didn't sell well.

Anyway, Boo! to Unilever!  Bring back refills!  A small gesture towards recycling, but they add up.

John

Ah, so it is not just me who couldn't find any refills....

Ian

4 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

@JohnD this popped up on my Facebook feed this morning. Caught my eye as as I thought 'I know that car'.... :biggrin:

https://www.facebook.com/share/CdVw2FxTHxJ9QtE5/

But over on Fb, that's just bloody  rude!    "lelts Examination Scores", self described as a "digital creator" has offered "Fairly used cars for sale".  1970 Triumph Vitesse - Donington Park - Derbyshire car spotter | Facebook.   

John

22 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Beat me to it there Phil

RR you are obviously a man with underappreciated talent :laugh:

Thought it was someone who i had worked with previously who ran the site.

Anyway in now, lets see if they can help as the NAD 402 tuner has also gone tits up and i was using that as a signal source to fix the amplifier. +-12V and 5V all present so maybe an IC?, could be terminal

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

:biggrin:

Meanwhile….. at a lower level of technology….. though important….. things that make you say “POO!”

This is the drain access chamber serving our downstairs bathroom

IMG_4432.jpeg

Turns out it’s settled over the years and has now detached itself from the outflow pipe from the house. 
IMG_4431.jpeg

I say now…. But I reckon it did it a while back as there’s a fair old void. 

Chamber now on the wonk….. about 1” slope the wrong way….. so it’s probably moved about 2”.

IMG_4434.jpeg

Arse!

Fortunately our other bathrooms connect well downstream of this and are unaffected.  Though it probably means that I should pull out the bastard (in)Saniflo and change the motor start capacitor to ensure 1 shower and 2 fully working toilets.

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Anyway in now, lets see if they can help as the NAD 402 tuner has also gone tits up and i was using that as a signal source to fix the amplifier. +-12V and 5V all present so maybe an IC?, could be terminal

According to the schematic there are +32, +12, +5 and -12 volt supplies. 

https://www.audioservicemanuals.com/n/nad/nad-60-7600/nad-402/12583-nad-402-service-manual

12 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

:biggrin:

Meanwhile….. at a lower level of technology….. though important….. things that make you say “POO!”

This is the drain access chamber serving our downstairs bathroom

IMG_4432.jpeg

Turns out it’s settled over the years and has now detached itself from the outflow pipe from the house. 

Time to invite the sons over..... 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Quite. Drainage work never fun at the best of times. Soil drains particularly so - no matter how long you scrub yourself in the shower you can't wash away the memory :sick:

My line of work brings much nastier things than soil drains….  :pinch:, though pretty rarely these days. There was a bit of settled nastiness due the levels now being wrong, but all washed away without difficulty.

The irritation is the sheer physical labour of sorting it correctly, plus some worry about why it’s settled and why there’s a void between it and the house - and what’s to be done about that. 

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

My line of work brings much nastier things than soil drains….  :pinch:, though pretty rarely these days. There was a bit of settled nastiness due the levels now being wrong, but all washed away without difficulty.

The irritation is the sheer physical labour of sorting it correctly, plus some worry about why it’s settled and why there’s a void between it and the house - and what’s to be done about that. 

Sons should learn to dig well....

I would be looking at flexy pipework connectors, a bed of hardcore/MOT type1 or similar, and plastic chamber. Should allow a bit of movement. But that looks like it could have been broken many years, and would have just got worse and worse. But who knows. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I suspect that the backfill round the foundations was inadequately compacted after the house was built so a bit of decent fill in that area will sort things out. Along with the accompanying physical labour :blush:

• Thanks 1

not sure this fits into Today bollocks... but is really frustrating.

I have brought a nice new Microsoft laptop, cheap but nice quality and seem to work well (I5 chip 8G byte ram and 250SSD). This was to replace a very old Acer that I used  for tuning the Herald EFI.

Transfer all the software over, backed everything up onto our NAS box and then copied everything onto the new Windows 11 laptop. This is where it went wrong....
The menu for the file explorer seems ok, copy everything from the NAS box into a directory off the documents folder. But when I took the PC into the garage couldn't see the files.

It seems the default is that the documents folder is a subfolder on the cloud rather than the local hard disk. All's fine if  you are in range of your WiFi (we are in the middle of broadband issues so dont have coverage in the garage, another long painful story). So the files you think are on your local disk are actually in the cloud. Great until you try to tune your Megasquirt in the middle of the fens and cant find the previous tuner files!

Stupid and all seems hidden from the user unless you are very careful.
Windows 10 was fine but Windows 11 seems completely focused around cloud computing. There seems to be an assumption that you can always be connected that really is not true anywhere outside of a large town! 

Your files are not really where you think they are!

Mike, feeling very grumpy.....

1 minute ago, mpbarrett said:

Windows 10 was fine but Windows 11 seems completely focused around cloud computing. There seems to be an assumption that you can always be connected that really is not true anywhere outside of a large town! 

Your files are not really where you think they are!

Yes, Windows 11 is rather tiresome generally in my opinion.

But even with current versions of Windows 10 the effing thing keeps trying to default save your stuff to the cloud. Pain in the arse.

1 minute ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Yes, Windows 11 is rather tiresome generally in my opinion.

But even with current versions of Windows 10 the effing thing keeps trying to default save your stuff to the cloud. Pain in the arse.

W11 complete PITA, I just want complete control of MY PC to do what I want with it, not what MS wants to do...

mike