Guilty as charged!

JohnD

I know it seems ridiculous, but every time I go to visit Son & Family in London, I go by car.  Nearly 300 miles and our crumbling road system to negotiate; To go by rail would be far more appropriate, but each time, I have things to carry that would be difficult on the train, so I go by car.   And every bloody time I get a speeding fine!    Always on the M25 where the "Variable Speed Limit" can change  gantry to gantry, for no apparent reason at all.

The latest puts the tin hat on it.   I exceeded 40 mph by a small percentage, less than ten mph, hardly scofflaw territory.    They sent me photographs, there could be no defence, so I plead guilty and throw myself on the mercy of the court.      I have sinned and must pay a fine.

But what a fine!  £66 for the offence, but then I must pay another £34 "Victim Surcharge"   What?!?   If there was ever a victimless crime it's this one.     Close reading of the letter finds that this is "a surcharge to fund victim services".     In other words a tax on the fine!   And it will not have escaped your notice that the amount neatly adds up to £100.

But then they add insult to financial injury - I am awarded 3 points on my driving licence.     A review of the relevant Gov.Co.uk site Penalty points (endorsements): Endorsement codes and penalty points - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) shows that this puts me in the same ranks as Careless, Reckless, Dangerous and even Drunk Drivers all of whom may be awarded 3-11points.

No appeal, of course, or rather it would cost very much more than that.     The prisoner may step down.

John

Hi John,

I am not smirking at you getting done but you MUST drive within the signage conditions.

Should the overhead signs change when you are close to them you will not be caught.

The overheads are not the problem -it is the little yellow buggers on the side pole of the overhead gantry.

That is my motorway game - 'spot the yellow cameras'

In 2007 I was in a traffic jam on the A35 near Bournemouth and I got flashed.  I must have exceeded 34mph within my little space - BUT my littlespace was apprx 1 car length front and back.

AND the 3 points will increase your insurance.

Have you been offered a speed awareness course - same cost but with no points.

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

you MUST drive within the signage conditions.

Yeah….. Which can be hard when they’ve got you at 40mph in light traffic conditions for something spurious or even fictional like “debris on carriageway” or “pedestrians on carriageway”. Really? For three whole junctions? I smell a rat… they want you to loose concentration and trigger their bloody cameras…..

Until a few years ago I commuted to central London on a motorbike. 9 miles 10 speed cameras plus, bus lane cameras, cameras at junctions, red route no stopping cameras, a no right turn camera. A nice little earner. Very easy to get caught out at the slightest distraction, in unfamilier areas, especially if you are lost. 

3 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Yeah….. Which can be hard when they’ve got you at 40mph in light traffic conditions for something spurious or even fictional like “debris on carriageway” or “pedestrians on carriageway”. Really? For three whole junctions? I smell a rat… they want you to loose concentration and trigger their bloody cameras…..

I got flashed on the M4 or M25, cant remember which, after the last Castle Combe trackday. My hotel was so terrible I refused to stay, so left chippenham about 11pm. Mooching along at about 75, then the speed limit was reduced to 60. Absolutely no other cars about, so happily carried on reducing speed down to 60ish. That I didn't notice was it must have reduced to 50, as I got flashed. I was doing 60 I think. Saw the 50 at the next gantry.

I had a very uneasy couple of weeks, but luckily no ticket ever arrived. Not sure if my old and rather dull silver on black plate did the trick, or something else.

Anyway, there didn't seem to be any reason for the reduced speed limit for another few miles, when a lane had been shut, presumably for minor maintenace.

15 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Hi Nick,

this is my pet hate - spurious road signage etc.

I did a virtual 'motorway Speed Awareness course last December.

The presenter ask if there were any question.  I asked when were the morons that control the signage to be educated'

He went into Overdrive talking about advanced this and computerised that. My only thought was 'Bolloc**

The false signage  is there simply to annoy everybody and keep them on there toes. That is my belief and I am sticking with it.

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Nick,

this is my pet hate - spurious road signage etc.

The false signage  is there simply to annoy everybody and keep them on there toes. That is my belief and I am sticking with it.

Roger

Don’t get me started on “traffic officers”

:mad:
I think you’ll find they can put the messages up !!

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

I asked when were the morons that control the signage to be educated'

They aren’t “educated”, they are trained to blindly follow the manuals and procedures….. goodness knows who comes up with those, but they are the ones need education (try actually driving on a “smart” motorway in a variety of traffic/weather conditions would be a start)

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

advanced this and computerised that

Garbage in, garbage out….. 

Darn Sarf, you have your 'smart' motorways.       Because it's being converted into a  'smart' motorway, the M6 has been half paralysed  for the last six years.  Miles, up to twenty at a time, of a fixed fifty limit, quite right as only two lanes, while the third is occupied by .... nothing!    And where they are working, the work force can be tiny - thirty guys in that twenty miles, I've counted them (I know, colour me an Obsessive/Compulsive Train Spotter)  And they aren't working, a lot of the time.     You would think that the cost of delayed transport and the investment needed for the works would justify working day and night and weekends, but despite the cost of the enormous machinery the plant is left idle out of ordinary working hours.

Free the M6!

John

Don't get me started on roads "daan saaf". I generally try not to try device when I have to go, as my blood pressure goes through the roof. Usually starts around Lancaster (Fortin) services, runs at "slightly elevated" until Manchester where it goes into overdrive.

This would be tolerable if these drivers stayed "daan saaf", however it appears they insist on coming to Scotland for holidays and like to proceed up the A82 (which is a decent road even by English standards) at 35-40mph. Ohh, and to top it off, they will randomly pull an emergency stop (please bear in mind this is one of two main arterial routes north so used by HGV's etc) to take a snap of Ben Lomond. 

They are normally easily spotted, they mostly hire motorhomes.

And people wonder why there are so many accidents on this road (and similarly the A9).