First Race of 2024 - CSCC Donington , March 23rd

Friend Rick Aston took this at Oulton.  I had a great first half dice with an MGBGT diven by someone called Richard Hammond.  I passed him, he passed me, and I was catching him again whenni realised that it was pit stop time.  Didn't see him after that, except that he was pleased to see me in the paddock after when I said what good dice we had.    But he called my car a 'Herald'!

FB_IMG_1714328365380.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmmmm!   Race yes, count down no!

I was a reserve, as the previous problem delayed my entry.   7th, then 3rd, and I was still there after practice.  I didn't know I had a race until JUST before the grid was released onto the circuit!

Best was Daughter & Family live bnearish and came to watch!   The Chief Engineer ( he was my Apprentice!) was very pleased.

FB_IMG_1714337993594.jpg

• Like 6

Finally, after booting up the lap top and several days learning how "ClipChamp" works, I can show a video of the race.  Not all forty minutes, just the part of the first half and the pitstop.   I forgot  to press the GoPro extension button until after several laps, which was a pity, as being a last minute reserve entry, I started from the back of the grid.  Many of the back markers were not very quick off the mark, so  I gained about a dozen places before the first two corners.   Anyway, let's take it from where young Master Hammond catches up with me:

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

What's even more interesting is watching the back end of SofS as it goes.      Absolutely no jack up, not even much roll, but it does seem to bounce a bit on humps - EG just before Island Bend at 1:26 in the Video.     I thought my rear spring was maximally stiff - maybe not.

Another factor to work on: Pitstop assistance!    My stop (see video) took 1:25 - Simon Page, above, 40 seconds! As always, Sidewaysers welcome in the paddock, but you have to work for your living!

John

PS next race will be Silverstone, 22nd June.    That's on the GP circuit from the new Pit/grandstand building.   I've got a reserve place on the 1st June on the National circuit, from the original pits and start line.  Swinging '60s will be at Thruxton on the 23rd June, but that would be to challenge the Curse of Thruxton, so I think I'll miss it!   J.

Edited by JohnD

5 minutes ago, JohnD said:

What's even more interesting is watching the back end of SofS as it goes.      Absolutely no jack up, not even much roll, but it does seem to bounce a bit on humps - EG just before Island Bend at 1:26 in the Video.     I thiought my rear spring was maximally stiff - maybe not.

Another factor to work on: Pitstop assistance!    My stop (see video) took 1:25 - Simon Page 40 seconds! As always, Sidewaysers welcome in the paddock, but you have to work for your living!

John

Hello John

If you are ever at Mallory park again I will help if free?

I do like the drain pipe fittings in the doors!!! (they do not look very aerodinamic?)

Roger

ps The job you did on the bonnet looks good and nice to see it being used for what it was built for?(Lightweight)

I am glad I did not scrap it now!

Roger, I'm very grateful to you for the bonnet!   But schtumm about why the bulges are there!   I let on its for more DiLithium crystals in the Warp Drive motors.  And the drain pipe air inlets are HIGHLY aero!!      There's a vortex outboard of the windscreen edge, so that when I built an elaborate adjustable  inlet into the window on Silverback it didn't work, as it didn't reach into the vortex.     The drain pipes do!  AND they are adjusable!    As to Mallory, that would be great, but I'm in the hands of the CSCC.

Egret, thank you!   I'll publish details here when available.

John

7 hours ago, JohnD said:

Roger, I'm very grateful to you for the bonnet!   But schtumm about why the bulges are there!   I let on its for more DiLithium crystals in the Warp Drive motors.  And the drain pipe air inlets are HIGHLY aero!!      There's a vortex outboard of the windscreen edge, so that when I built an elaborate adjustable  inlet into the window on Silverback it didn't work, as it didn't reach into the vortex.  

Gonna need dilithium crystals if you are trying to reach into the vortex John :tongue:

You are so right, Colin!    I looked up "Reach into the Vortex" - don't go there if you value your sanity!

But there is a windscreen edge vortex.  This isn't from the Vitesse as a model but anyway:

image.png.a42b87ec5e0df7805b04c7f64fb582ed.png

So open holes in the window don't ventilate, but extend the inlet/exhaust out into that flow and they work! 

John

Meeting report on Oulton from the CSCC now out, and includes this verdict on the Swinging '60s race:

"the Adams and Page Swinging 60s race had a hugely varied grid. Where else are you going to see an Austin A40 sharing track space with an Aston Martin DB4 and a Morgan +8? And - cripes- a Triumph Vitesse. "

See for the whole report: Oulton Park Race Reports (classicsportscarclub.co.uk)

John

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JohnD said:

You are so right, Colin!    I looked up "Reach into the Vortex" - don't go there if you value your sanity!

But there is a windscreen edge vortex.  This isn't from the Vitesse as a model but anyway:

image.png.a42b87ec5e0df7805b04c7f64fb582ed.png

So open holes in the window don't ventilate, but extend the inlet/exhaust out into that flow and they work! 

John

What the flow lines in that plot show John is that it's not so much the 'vortex' that is the issue at the surface of the side windows but the velocity of the airstream falling over the windscreen pillar.

As Mr Bernoulli pointed out the mass flow of the fluid remains constant so as the velocity increases (as shown by the red lines) then the pressure decreases.

As a result the still air inside the car is at a higher pressure than the fast moving air on the outside surface of the window.

You need to extend outside of the fast moving boundary layer into the 'stationery' air away from the car for the ram effect to work.

This is also why the Spitfire side windows have the annoying habit of pulling away from the pillars at speed.

Edited by Escadrille Ecosse
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 1:05 PM, JohnD said:

Meeting report on Oulton from the CSCC now out

That was a good read John, you also got a name-drop further down in relation to Richard Hammond:

"In the Swinging 60s race Richard enjoyed a fabulous dice with John Davies’ Vitesse"

10 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

That was a good read John, you also got a name-drop further down in relation to Richard Hammond:

"In the Swinging 60s race Richard enjoyed a fabulous dice with John Davies’ Vitesse"

You also got a mention in the latest edition of the TSSC's Courier mag.

Sideways version of the kardashians :laugh:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

You also got a mention in the latest edition of the TSSC's Courier mag.

Sideways version of the kardashians :laugh:

Are you saying my bum looks big?

• Haha 1