Nothing on TV! What will you watch?

JohnD

With nothing on TV - well UniChallenge last night, yes - what will you watch?

I rediscovered "Un Homme et Une Femme" on YouTube - a very arty film, full of langourous impressionist shots, but including some splendid scenes of testing on the old banking at Montlhéry, at the Le Mans 24, and the Monte Carlo Rally.    And its music by Francis Lai, including the main theme - you know, "daa daa daa dadadada"!

I think I've posted before about the French police-procedural Engrenages (Spiral), currently available on iPlayer.   I'm now on the 8th and last series, Gilou is in jail and Laure in disgrace.    I know they are going to walk off into the sunset, but I still can't work out how.

And the other, strange discovery is "The Watch", also on iPlayer.      If you were a fan of Terry Pratchett and his Ankh-Morpork series, you may miss Terry's odd-ball humour and wonder who is this leering tramp who is called "Sam Vimes" and appears to 'command' the Watch , but the series has very high production values and has a splendid visualization of the greatest city of the Disc World.      Only seen the first episode, looking forward to the rest.

What are you watching?

YouTube mostly. Thought the advert situation is getting out of hand.

Watch very little TV these days. Partly because there’s very little I want to watch and partly because of the excessive advert density on most channels.

Might try “The Watch” - I like Pratchett, so thanks for that tip.  I also much enjoyed the various “Bosch” series (only on Amazon unfortunately) as I also like my Michael Connelly.

Box sets on Amazon mostly. We have a Fire stick and steal our son's login. Mainly watch Nordic/Scandinavian crime dramas, "Engrenages" (I won't spill the beans on what happens to Laure and Gilou, John...) and also about halfway through "Bosch".  After that, we've had a tip-off about a new Korean crime drama that's supposed to be very good - can't remember the name though...

Sorry, Dave, I wouldn't watch Clarkson if he stripped naked and took a bath in baked beans.      The man is a ess-aitch-1-Tee and always has been.

I knew it since I saw him berating his crew, in public, for some minor error, and wasn't surprised when he was sacked for punching his producer.

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

Sorry, Dave, I wouldn't watch Clarkson if he stripped naked and took a bath in baked beans.      The man is a ess-aitch-1-Tee and always has been.

I knew it since I saw him berating his crew, in public, for some minor error, and wasn't surprised when he was sacked for punching his producer.

Sadly so. Although I did watch Clarkson's farm and it did make me wonder if he wasn't a completely irredeemable arse. The other characters in there are worth watching. Caleb is great and Gerald can't be anything but real.

Might try the 'Watch' too. Night Watch was the first Discworld book I ever read and I still think it is one of the best in the whole superb series.

Can't be doing with the modern police procedurals, aside from anything else they are just too unremittingly grim and unpleasant. We need more 'Dirty Harry'

Well Dirty Harry certainly wasnt unremittingly grim or unpleasant, was he?  ": I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, i kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?".   

But I agree, "Engrenages" has some pretty unpleasant crimes, and some police practices that would shock even Harry.

Edited by JohnD