Living Off Grid

Hello All

We had a phone call about 09.30 and thought I would answer it in case it was one of the kids.

Well a nicely spoken young man ask if this was my name etc and then said we are doing an energy survey in your area at which point I said no thank's we live off grid.

But I think what I should have done is kept him talking and offing the best deal he could then I would ask him how they going to deliver this cheap Electric and cheap Gas as we have no mains connection I think that would have P***d him off?

Roger

35 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

We had a phone call about 09.30 and thought I would answer it in case it was one of the kids.

Well a nicely spoken young man ask if this was my name etc and then said we are doing an energy survey in your area at which point I said no thank's we live off grid.

But I think what I should have done is kept him talking and offing the best deal he could then I would ask him how they going to deliver this cheap Electric and cheap Gas as we have no mains connection I think that would have P***d him off?

Roger

You are a bad man Roger :devil:

• Haha 1

Best one was my Mum, many years ago. Turned it round on the lad. She asked what he thought of the job and what he really wanted to do. Realised he hated it as much as you'd think. Then spent 20 minutes with him doing some tertiary education and careers advice on how to achieve his goals in life. She had been a senior guidance teacher. Lovely woman was my Mum :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i have put my mum onto 4g (smarty) internet. BT had been fleecing her for years with 2-3 mb speed and calling it fibre ( fibre went to the nearest green box !!) she is about 2 miles from a green box and its ancient overhead copper?

she only really needed it for email, pics from family took an hour too download so she didn't bother.

her 4g is only about 24mb now but that is up and down.

glad i changed her over as i have been able to support her and work from (her) home.

that's about as off grid i have got.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

My latest tale of Woe living off grid!!!

It all started last Saturday I had started the old Lister 8-1 generator (1958 build!)

Stood and checked it was all running ok and charging the batteries(there has been a distinct lack of sun and wind around here!)

Then went back inside to brush my teeth etc.

I was in our bathroom which faces the engine shed and suddenley I thought I can not hear the old girl chuffing away(850RPM)

So I rushed out to the shed were there was a smell of very hot wiring and she was trying to start again?

So a bit later when I had calmed down I went to find out what the trouble was I thought perhaps she is air locked so I opened the bleed screw on the injector pump and fluid came out but I thought that is a bit pale for gas oil! and it turned out it was water!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we had 500 litres of gas oil delivered a few months ago and after the tanker had gone I thought I would dip the tank to see what the level and at the time I thought thnat looks a bit cloudy but then thought it was just airated!

But now I think there must have been some water in it?

I set about pumping some out of the tank and I recon I pumped out 20 to 30 litres of watery gas oil! I have since scrounged some water testing paste off a mate of our son who services oil boilers and there is no water in the tank now.

So I decided that is not going to happen to me again so I have fitted a fuel and water filter after the 12 volt pump and a drain tap on the old lister fuel filter(with a modern? Ford anglia cartridge inside.

Non of the tanks draw fuel from the bottom all about 2" up with a drain tap below.

But this has never happened to me in 46 years before and I have fitted a timer to the starting circuit of the old Lister so the starting soleniod cut out after 20 seconds and will not restart with out turning off and on again!

So thats my week passed and to put the Tin hat on it the Memsahib has test posative for Covid after meeting other for lunch on Friday (all had done tests before? and they try to tell me it is all over! pull the other one!)

I left a big space between the pump and filter in case I wanted to fit a second one they are only £20 and a very commom filter cartridge.

DSC03028.JPG

DSC03029.JPG

DSC03030.JPG

VERY strong letter to your oil supplier?

Something along the lines of "Sir!   Unless I receive immediate satisfaction my friends shall call upon you, to extract that by force if necessary!"

Water in the oil??? How can that happen, drawn for bottom of tank?

41 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Tempting no doubt but I suspect they’ll just deny it….

Just as well you can sort it all out yourself Roger!

Yes, I suspect so too. Unless you can sample the delivery stream to show an issue before it reaches your tank (as is done with commercial transfers of all sizes) you are up against it.

Honestly Roger,

I am amazed you have gone 46 years without finding water in your fuel! You are obviously doing something right.

If I might, I would suggest checking the tank drains on a weekly basis? On ship we are checking daily, but then you don't use as much as we do! If you happen to have any amount of water in the fuel, you will hopefully capture it before it gets as far as the generator (your setup with suction line being higher than the drain is exactly how it should be!).

Worth a chat with your supplier, as it may be they have a storage issue, but to be honest most suppliers are taking oil direct from refinery so doubt you will get any satisfaction. 

We see this all the time in shipping, it's common practice to mix a wee bit of water in the diesel, means the bunker barge gives you less actual diesel and sells the remainder on the sly!

Aside from this, which it seems you have well in hand anyway, please pass on best wishes from sideways folks to your memsahib, and I hope she clears her covid infection with the minimum of fuss!

Phil

• Like 1

Hello All

Thank's for the good wishes for the Memsahib she is not to to bad it is more like a bit of a hacking cough and feeling tired and the snotty nose.

But I have done my bit to help by carrying the vacumn cleaner downstairs for her !!! ( I will just get my tin hat in case she sees this!)

I have changed the fuel filter on the newer Lister generator(1978/79 build 47522 hours running time ((5.42 years 24/7!))

It is a bit like Triggers broom? pistons, barrel, big end shells,valves /guides, injector,pump, alternator brushes, etc

I suppose it is out of warranty now??

Here is a photos of the fuel tanks and drain taps and 1958 control wiring plus alterations

Roger

ps do you like the level gauge on the old one? there is a float in the tank and used a bit of fishing line and a bit of lead for the pointer and made the scale so I know how much I am putting in!

DSC03033.JPG

DSC03034.JPG

DSC03036.JPG

Roger,

5 1/2 years running in 42 since it was built doesn't sound that much!   Bit like buying a 2nd hand car, previous owner old lady, only drove it to church on Sunday!    Difficult to compare with a car as they don't usually have hours meters, but then running a car at 10,000 miles a year and assume an average speed of 40 mph is 251 hours/year!  Barely over ten days, and 2.75% of the time you own it, whereas your generator has been running for 13% of its life!   

John

PS I like the green colour - goes very well with the brass fittings! 

• 2 months later...

Hello All

Here is a photo of the latest 2 (used) solar panels in place it is a right mish mash of panels but has evoled over about 20+ years I am sure do not give the same power but they give some so I am not going to shot them yet!

We hit 1.5Kw peak today so the new ones are working and all suitsd our off grid life style(no 54 percent on electic for us!)

The LPG and Gas oil and probably the logs? 

But we are still pretty green compare to some! (I have no problems going out in Spitty at 45mpg in a 42 year old car!!!) its not a Chelsey Tractor! and has better mpg!

Roger

ps the new (used) panels are the big ones sideways

DSC03126.JPG

• 3 months later...

Hello All

There is all this talk about everybody getting a energy payment?

So what I want to know how do we apply for it as we have no gas or electric meters?

We still have to buy LPG, Wood and Generator fuel which have all gone up in price.

Plus I paid my taxes etc for 45years!!! 

Roger and the Memsahib (poor pensioners!)

ps both the wind turbines are faulty now! but the old Rutland FM1803 has been flying for just under 21years with NO maintenace! (bearings noisey now and a bit rusty on the tail!) 

The other one is only 8 to 9 years old with no maintenace and noisey bearings but has stopped giving power now!(maybe the slip rings and brushes?)

I am thinking of replacing that one with another Marlec 1200 Terrain Windcharger it will fit straight one the tilt up tower and will be quiet (the LE 600 Howls in high winds!)

56 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

As far as I can tell, you, along with anyone who uses oil, LPG or solid fuel are being screwed (again) as provision seems to be be based on continuously metered fuels.  My oil tank refill this year was 2.2 x last years......

Hello Nick

That is what about I thought ! We do all the right things (wind And Solar) but get Screwed!

Tell me something new! and as I said we paid our way that was asked if that was not enough it was not our fault?

Shaffed again by which ever one is power(all tarred with the same brush?)

Still back to car stuff now and not get up tight!( because we have no control over it ? it is like peeing in the sea and expecting to warm up!(grow up!!)

Roger

ps a mad idea we have booked to  go to Spain Again next year(Booked) but Maybe cross over to Morroco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What could go wrong? and you are a long time dead plus we are only Middle Aged !!!!!!!!!!!!!! (77 & 73???)

Still beening a bit naughty you are as only as old as the woman you feel???

Roger and the Memsahib