Closing the "Cradle of Democracy"

GT6MK3

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

B&gg£r all, Chris.       All that has been decided is that Brexit will occur, formally, tomorrow midnight.     There will now be an "interim period" lasting a year in which all the negotiation to determine exactly what the fiscal and administrative arrangements between the UK and the EU shall be.     A process that in the past between nations has taken five to seven years.   Surely 'discussions' must have already taken place, but nothing substantive until after tomorrow.     So don't hold your breath.

Also what had not happened is the epitome of Triumphalism (i'm sorry about that) demanded by some of the Spartans of the ERG, that Big Ben be recomissioned to ring out at midnight and celebrate this dismal event.    When the competent authorities said that it would cost £500,000 (The ElizabethTower is currently swathed in scaffolding to prevent it falling down, so Betty would be a bit peeved if that happened) so the odious Johnson, that antithesis of a statesman, suggested that everyone "bung a bob for Big Ben bong", which raised as much as £220.    So instead, his equally odious Chancellor has surruptitiously had coined a celebratory 50P piece, half a million of them.  So that's where half the half a million quid went!  These tawdry trinkets are already on sale on Amazon for over £20!   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brexit-Souvenir-Collectors-Uncirculated-Gardens/dp/B07HWR9XPL/ref=asc_df_B07HWR9XPL/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=394334136200&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11315993990146095192&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006854&hvtargid=pla-837201876443&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=81425710069&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=394334136200&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11315993990146095192&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006854&hvtargid=pla-837201876443

Oh, for another TS Eliot, whose Hollow Men have now ended a great and hopeful alliance, "not with a bang, but with a tinkle".

John

Just to put a smidgeon of balance to this.  Late last year Big Ben was allowed to toll  on tow occasions - Rememberance  Sunday and New Years Eve.

This cost apprx  £14,000 on each occasion.

So why a month later does it cost £500,000.      Somebody is very bitter.

We now have to live with a twice won democratic decision - get on with it.

Roger

2 hours ago, GT6Steve said:

Hey guys, this side of the pond is not getting any Brexit news lately.  Can you give me a brief summation of what's expected to change tomorrow?  If anything?

49% think the world will fall to pieces

51% think it already had, and Prof Brian Cox is right:

The "bung a bob for a big ben bong" was (probably?) an off teh cuff remark, probably ill conceived. But seems to have raised a fair amount of cash. Doesn't it go to Help For Heroes if bib ben doesn't get bonged? An admirable charity.

But essentially nothing is happening. I guess the real bunfight is about to begin. But there have been twists and turns already, what with the Huwawi stuff it seems a slight cooling with America trade deals. And Prince Andrew is hardly doing us any favors at the moment. Not to mention the Harry Dunn/Anne Sacoolas political hot potato which has turned public opinion against the US officialdom....

I think I need a large box of popcorn.

13 hours ago, zetecspit said:

Doesn't it go to Help For Heroes if bib ben doesn't get bonged? An admirable charity.

Very much better use for it.......

From an inside source I know very well, who has seen some of our "negotiators" in action...... "we have no negotiators worth the name"

"Not to mention the Harry Dunn/Anne Sacoolas political hot potato which has turned public opinion against the US officialdom...."

Hmmmm....not seen a whisper of that on this side.  I had to Google for the sordid story.

And Thank You for the link ZS, I didn't know a bit of that

I read the cost of the bong was because essentially they have removed everything including the floor from where the bell is at the moment during the renovation, so essentially they would need to rebuild it just to bong twice then remove it again. Then the contractor would need compensated for the delay etc etc.

If they really wanted it, i don't understand why they didn't just use a large speaker...

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Not a mention of the elephant in the room. Considering he wrote a novel on climate change the absence of a mentionof cc and focus upon and economics and travel and brexit reveals his inability to join up the dots. Shallow novelist's pot-boiling.