11 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Another Sykes Pickavant tool bought from Halfords a few thousand years ago. Used very rarely, can't actually remember the last time but it must have been quite a while as the first job after finding the thing at the back of the tool cabinet was cleaning out all the fluff and crud.

However perfect for when you do need it as in this case...

20221224_174404.thumb.jpg.928cf4e97176c7b1b4682e703ec81349.jpg

Deffo have one of these in the cutting/tapping/chasing drawer.

A die is only happy if the top couple of threads are clean in order to get it started.

For Ali and smaller mild steel external threads you can split (Hacksaw) a nut, clamp it onto a good portion of thread and then wind it up.

This often works.

Roger

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

A die is a good way to clean up a thread.    But only one size and pitch.    Do those deal with four pitches each (four sided?) and can they deal with several sizes?

JOhn

Eight pitches, four each end.

As Phil says they are great for chasing threads without cutting with a die as you can do a light clean without affecting the 'fit' of the thread.

And as Roger points out, absolutely perfect for dressing a damaged first thread.

Thank you, all!    And understood, Roger.     I have one of these, a 'bolt chamfer tool'.   Very useful if you need to shorten a bolt, and for cleaning up the end if the threads are manky.    Usually lets a die get going.

Laser 7510 External Deburr/Chamfer Tool: 3-19mm - Machine Mart - Machine  Mart

Edited by JohnD

9 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

If you have a bench grinder, another extremely handy tool, it also does an excellent job of chamfering the end of a cut bolt.

Not to start a duel, but a grinder tends to leave swarf in the thread, needing a run with a die, or a previously threaded nut, to make the bolt free running.   The tool cuts away the chamfer, leaving the threads clear.   Just saying!

John

Hello John,

my grinder hasn abrasive wheel one end and a wire brush on the other end, shape the cut end with the abrasive wheel and clean the swarf with the wire brush.

How do you delete a post in this forum? My earlier post prior to yours was a mistake on my part as I thought Nick's query was the last in the tread. I subsequently saw that it had already been comprehensively answered.

Alec

22 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Not to start a duel, but a grinder tends to leave swarf in the thread, needing a run with a die, or a previously threaded nut, to make the bolt free running.   The tool cuts away the chamfer, leaving the threads clear.   Just saying!

John

John, you are quite correct. It is however often easier/quicker to handle than the chamfer tool.

Old trick though, when cutting a bolt or a bit of threaded rod put a nut (or two if there is space) below the cut and keep it there until the cut end has been tidied up.

41 minutes ago, 2.5piman said:

Hello John,

my grinder hasn abrasive wheel one end and a wire brush on the other end, shape the cut end with the abrasive wheel and clean the swarf with the wire brush.

How do you delete a post in this forum? My earlier post prior to yours was a mistake on my part as I thought Nick's query was the last in the tread. I subsequently saw that it had already been comprehensively answered.

Alec

Three dots, top right, let you edit.    Delete?   Don't know.

12 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Old trick though, when cutting a bolt or a bit of threaded rod put a nut (or two if there is space) below the cut and keep it there until the cut end has been tidied up

That's what I usually do, using two nuts to clamp the bolt / rod in the vice. But it doesn't give you a nice leading edge for poking into a captive nut or whatever. When this tool arrives I'm going to chamfer everything in the garage!

8 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

That's what I usually do, using two nuts to clamp the bolt / rod in the vice. But it doesn't give you a nice leading edge for poking into a captive nut or whatever. When this tool arrives I'm going to chamfer everything in the garage!

Ha ha thats what I started to do. 
there is a knack to using it in a drill. It’s a felt pressure thing as it is self cantering on just 3 cutting edges. 
But a useful tool nevertheless.

9 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

No but what I should have said is that it does help clean out the threads after you have done the chamfering.

• Like 1