Today I, Bollocks.....

Wasn’t much handling done and none direct. Poor little sod had had an extended bath in our toilet bowl too before we even met it……..

Lived in places where rabies was a real problem as a kid.  Bunda campus in Malawi had an outbreak while we were there and several dogs were shot including one of our neighbour's pets. The neighbour's had to have the shots too (14 to the abdomen iirc, not nice but better than the alternative!).  

Hello Nick 

Good on you most people would have flushed it away.

Years ago we were doing some reroofing on our old cottage and we found bats in the roof 

So we did the right thing and the Batman came to see us to give advise and we left a small gap for them to return!

Then years later we had the builders in doing roof work and they came across a bat and these big butch builders were terrified!

I just went and picked it up and put it in our wood shed and later it had gone.

Then more roof work years later I left a small hole in the gable end so they get in but not into the roof space.

I think they are lovely and sometimes when I am walking the dog late they flash by me and it is wonderful and the swifts do the same in the day Magic

Roger

I felt that as it had had the will to keep itself afloat and alive for probably several hours, it deserved a bit of help. It was no trouble (other than escaping from its box) and was actually pretty cute once it had dried out and gone furry again.

Surprising how much bigger they look when “unpacked for flight”!

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 9:41 AM, JohnD said:

It might be the other way around....

"The UK has been rabies-free since the beginning of the 20th century, except for a rabies-like virus in a small number of wild bats.    The risk of human infection from bats is thought to be low. People who regularly handle bats are most at risk.  There's only been 1 recorded case of someone catching rabies from a bat in the UK."   Rabies - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

I know, I'm such a comforter!

Such a comfort indeed

Bats are carriers for all sorts of weird and wonderful diseases but they seem to have a quite remarkable metabolic system that makes them unusually resistant to a lot of these infections.

Glad to hear you are on the mend though Nick. I know quite a few people now who are on their second (and in one case third) instance of covid via omicron. Touch wood personally though.

Meanwhile, came back from a trip to the bookshop in town yesterday to find this parked in the street

20220627_154954.thumb.jpg.c1ee98cf1e63cc8c65635514a51e5a2a.jpg

Don't recognise the tow car so no idea who the owner is. Front engine RWD it appears. No engine in there but front suspension looks like MGB with a solid rear axle. Missing nosecone and pod lights in the pasenger compartment.

On 6/25/2022 at 6:03 AM, Nick Jones said:

Wasn’t much handling done and none direct.

Pair of gloves, I tend these days to simply stick em out onto windowsill outside. Technically handling bats is actually illegal without the relevant licence, however provision is made for relocation if they are in harm's way (I suspect a toilet bowl more than qualifies for that!).

I have a roost in my attic space that numbers well over 300, several different breeds at that. So evicting them out the house is a regular job for us! Three at the same time in the same room is the most I have had so far. Fortunately I like em, and the added knowledge that 1 bat can eat up to 3000 midgies a night is enough to endear them to anyone I reckon.

8 hours ago, thebrookster said:

that 1 bat can eat up to 3000 midgies a night is enough to endear them to anyone I reckon.

My experience of Scotland in July/August suggests that you need a lot more bats……

8 hours ago, thebrookster said:

Three at the same time in the same room

Ok,ok, you win! :tongue: (Perhaps you need to eat more garlic?!)

14 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Ok,ok, you win! :tongue: (Perhaps you need to eat more garlic?!)

I reckon honours are about even, I have never found in the loo yet!!

And if I increase the garlic consumption I'll likely turn into one! I prefer a bit of garlic with my meals, not the other way round :tongue:

22 hours ago, thebrookster said:

And if I increase the garlic consumption I'll likely turn into one! I prefer a bit of garlic with my meals, not the other way round :tongue:

:biggrin:

At the velodrome this morning having acquired a very nice second hand track frame to replace my old bike. Had to build it all up before getting on the track so a lot of faffing about with new cranks, chain and getting the fit right. And I put the fabulously expensive full race wheels on as well so Cinders really could go to the ball. It feels very quick.

20220701_090956.thumb.jpg.eb022c1ee73d1cf44a5614ec082ffafc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The sudden arrival of summer prompted me to say bollocks.... and so I ditched my plans and escaped with my bike to the croft house in the Highlands for a couple of days.

Weather has been spectacular. This is Ryvoan

20220710_104901.thumb.jpg.ca9fdd284ee94803354edcea4d74722b.jpg

And this is the name of the man who built the present barn at the croft. This particular James McIntosh was my great grandfather.

20220710_095046.thumb.jpg.801b5b20d644f732227185d2bac9a430.jpg

They were all called James including his great grandfather who lived in the same house.

Sorry about the file sizes. Can't work out how to edit on the phone

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 12:10 PM, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Such a comfort indeed

Bats are carriers for all sorts of weird and wonderful diseases but they seem to have a quite remarkable metabolic system that makes them unusually resistant to a lot of these infections.

Glad to hear you are on the mend though Nick. I know quite a few people now who are on their second (and in one case third) instance of covid via omicron. Touch wood personally though.

Meanwhile, came back from a trip to the bookshop in town yesterday to find this parked in the street

20220627_154954.thumb.jpg.c1ee98cf1e63cc8c65635514a51e5a2a.jpg

Don't recognise the tow car so no idea who the owner is. Front engine RWD it appears. No engine in there but front suspension looks like MGB with a solid rear axle. Missing nosecone and pod lights in the pasenger compartment.

Nova kit car?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_Design_and_Development

17 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Spectacular indeed. Absolutely gorgeous. Is it as hot up there as it is down here?

The family croft is a special place, incredible history.

Been hot but not as hot as with you folks. And bloody windy. But no complaints.

From today's ride over the "Burma Road"

20220712_115219.thumb.jpg.22babf26a5f83196f771410334d91519.jpg

And steam trains too

My cycling, is not as venturesome, but useful when parking would otherwise be difficult, and fun as well.    My old bike was stolen a month or so ago, and is either in parts or at the bottom of the canal by now, so I looked for another on Ebay.     What I got was what I thought was a bargain - so much so that I wonder if  it was knicked from someone else!   Easily worth £600 new, it is nearly new and I got it for  tenth of that.   More, I collected it from an address and a seller that I would not associate with sport cycling!

BUT, it had a problem - with eighteen gears, three chain and six on the wheel, it wouldn't select them properly and sometimes the chain would fall between the chain gears and jam up completely!   I fiddled with the selector adjustors, lubricated them and made no improvement, so knew It needed proper expertise and took it to the local bike shop for a 'tune-up'.     It was better when I collected it, but on cycling home there is a slope, I changed down to the lowest gear and  - WHAM!   The chain seized up completely!   The pedals were unturnable!   

Walked it back to the shop and the most apologetic bike technician found that the bolts holding the chain wheels in place were all loose!!  They were so out of line that the chain had jammed.  He had never seen this before but "should" have spotted it, he said, and of course dealt with it FoC (6 Newton Metres per bolt, if you're interested!)    And the problems are solved!      

Happy cycling!

John

I’ve now done most jobs that crop up on bicycles and we have a fair selection of special tools. I tend to get called in for the scary (difficult) things. They are pretty simple machines  on the whole, but a small values torque wrench is a very good thing to have.

11 hours ago, JohnD said:

Easily worth £600 new

You can probably revise that figure up somewhat John. My MTB has died (bottom bracket has died and unfortunately not fixable either) and it was quite the nasty shock when I started looking at prices, both new and SH!!

Can’t really say too much as I’m not the victim, but there have been far too many “eye-openers” on how quickly  life can fall apart, and the parlous states of the ambulance service / NHS in my life since last Friday evening. Sorry to say that the horror stories in the media about waiting times for ambulances, waiting times on trolleys in A&E and sub-standard care are firmly based on truth.

It also pisses me off enormously that it has taken 5 days and not a little persistence on my part to get the medics to check and confirm the stroke diagnosis we and the paramedics first hypothesised on Friday! (And managed it without an MRI scanner!). Probably the window of opportunity for thrombolysing treatment was closed before the ambulance was even called, but even if the stroke had occurred at the moment of getting through, the window (4 hours iirc) would have closed before their arrival.

I suggest:

Don’t get ill or injured.  If you must, I recommend arranging it for a Monday morning (maybe late Sunday evening might work too). Definitely don’t get ill on Friday evening, or before a bank holiday weekend, because A&E will be like a bad day in Beirut and if you survive that and get admitted, nothing will happen until Monday afternoon anyway and by then you’ll probably have a raging UTI/ chest infection to add to your woes….

And if you are old and arrive looking like a nursing home patient, you better hope that you have someone to come and stick up for you or they’ll pronounce you medically fit for discharge (on the basis that you are still breathing unaided) and ship you off to the first available nursing home without really troubling to discover why you came in. If you do manage to get admitted, you still need someone to notice that the reason you are not eating or drinking is that you can’t sit up without help and your ability to drive a fork has left you…..

Things have improved significantly on the care-standards front since Monday and just as well, but the extra suffering to the patient and cost to NHS caused by the up-front failings are unforgivable.

Maybe should be a rant…. May become one…. My spleen is still pretty fat :mad:

Dunno about legal proceedings but I feel a formal complaint coming on.