Canley CV axle to GT6 hub spacer/shim

jeffc

Greetings Gurus,

I have a set of Canley CV axles that I am fitting to GT6 Rotoflex hubs/vertical links. My problem is, when I obtained the GT6 rear suspension components they did not include the spacer and shim used to position hub at the correct depth on the axles. I contacted Canley who replied "Build shafts as original. using original spacers/shims".
I have checked all the normal suppliers and cannot find the spacer. I do find shims in both .003 in and .005 in thickness. The Canley website seems to suggest that the standard spacer is .139 in.(just a number in a description) and, on the pictorial parts diagram, what appears to be a hand written note,  the shim seems to be listed as .003 in.

Question: Can anybody verify the thickness of the thick spacer and the thinner shim?

Thanks again!

If building up from scratch it will all need setting up and you cannot rely on anything "standard" 

I have never done it, but it is a faff from what I have been told. I think the proceedure is on the canley site somewhere.

It sounds like you have a box of rotoflex bits, but not assembled?

@Zetecspit

I will have another look around the Canley site to see if there are any guides/instructions.

@Nick Jones

Spacers are "NO LONGER AVAILABLE" at Canley. I checked all the normal sites and it seem nobody has the spacers. I will do a bit more searching. Might need to just make a set.

If you have a lathe then make the spacers a little long, do an initial build, measure endfloat resulting and then dismantle to reduce the spacers by the amount necessary to give the specified end float. Possibly I still have spacers in my parts pile but will be a little while before I can check.

@Nick Jones A lathe would be useful for many projects. Can you also provide recommendations for how to convince my wife to park her car outside?

@zetecspit Your procedure picture will help. Thanks for sharing.

@iani Thanks for the link. But.... then I wont need a lathe ..... and I will have even fewer reasons for asking my wife to park outside. Pros/Cons.

I’m in the UK, but postage for me is showing as £22.91.  No idea why I see this and Phil sees £ 2.00.  Possibly eBay thinks I’m in Australia as I and this phone were until a couple of days ago.  I would think that one postage fee would cover two sets but you should check with the vendor. He is a reasonable man in my experience.

As for convincing your wife her car should live outside…… good luck with that!

Your problem is precedent; my wife has known from the outset that garages are for “toys” and tools and daily drivers live outside…. The flip side is that she also knows that her personal mechanic will keep her car running and works for food and favours…. So there is a price to be paid!

On 12/2/2022 at 11:33 PM, jeffc said:

I do not know where Nick Jones is but I am in the States and the listing suggests 28.78 GBP. If I need two sets, will I need to pay two postage fees?

I suspect that is the eBay global shipping programme cost. I doubt you would need to pay two sets of fees but still seems a bit dear. I would suggest messaging Mark. He's a decent guy and might be able to do you a better postage deal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...