What I did during my “holiday”...

What I WON'T do during my 'holiday' is to fly one of these.     Fire balloons have been popular for celebrations, but critices as a fire, and wild and farm animal risk, quite rightly.

The Brazilians are a wonderfully exuberant people, and they seem really fond of these:

Sometimes they lift fireworks, sometimes giant banners, sometimes both.     They are built as a communal effort, like the Carneval floats made by the Samba Schools for the Rio parades before Easter.   I'm surprised they didn't have some for the Rio Olympics, but I fear that they are just too dangerous for even Brazilain H&S!   Unmanned, unguided they have landed in cities ans det light to them!

Here's one from Sao Paulo ("Sampa").  You can tell they are enjoying it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFQcJltxZe0&feature=youtu.be

It won't play here, but click on the link!

John

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hated toc hange these parts on the Golf4 / Audi A3 of my daughter / son in law.

I was active, painted the storage room next to the kitchen and fabricated a tool to fasten the Bilstein shock absorber nut of my Polo. 

Abstellraum.jpg

slottednut.jpg

Hello All

I have been working on this Motorcycle(its only been in my garage for about 4 years!!!!)

Its not even mine!!!!!!!! (I am a sucker!)

I am going to built it mechanically and my mates son can do the tin ware.

I have had to make a few parts and re machine  parts after welding etc.

Then I can get on with slightly taming Alan's Vitesse so it is a bit more road friendly but still quick!

Roger 

DSC01481.JPG

DSC01484.JPG

DSC01488.JPG

DSC01491.JPG

DSC01505.JPG

DSC01508.JPG

Just now, JohnD said:

That naked  chain sprocket, right behind your left ankle, looks a bit of a hazard!

I was just thinking the same, wouldn't fancy ridding it in flares!

hi Roger, nice looking bike. Those are serious looking springs under the saddle.

The justice system is classified as an essential industry in the current climate, and while my 2 main customers have got almost all their employees working from home, I still need to be able to drive to and from their offices to keep the computer networks running.  With the Bogan van gone due to hail damage, and the Monaro likely to follow, I’ve been scouring the country for a replacement that fits into the government’s requirements to be tax effective, and my requirements to be enjoyable and affordable.  I was originally going to go full bogan and get a worked V8 Ute, but then decided to be a bit more grown up.  
I worked stupidly hard last year and early this one before the C-19 crisis hit, and got stuck at home with no holiday due to the virus, so had a few more $$ than normal, and decided to bite the bullet yesterday and buy something I like.  My loaner that got me through the last month was due to be returned, so it got dropped off, and I went on a bit of a mission acquire, pay for and bring home my new daily transport.

CF921A40-3167-41E4-9B6C-A7E2F9514596.jpeg

AF301D14-419C-46C3-8C0C-395DE847E665.jpeg

Not sure if I’m finally growing up, or just having a mid life crisis.

Hello All

Well today did not go as planned!!!!!

First the clutch was slipping now I have put some oil in the chain case then we ran out adjustment on the cable so I had to modify a small cable holder!

Then it would not start a few bangs and coughs so my mate son started to try and bump start it(he didn't half get red in the face in the afternoon sun)while me and his dad looked on!

So now I think the Magneto is faulty?(we have a spark but I would say it is not the biggest I have seen!) and a spark outside the cylinder does not mean it is any good inside the cylinder!

So the next plan is for ME!!!! to take the magneto off my KSS and try it on the MAC(mine was rebuilt years ago but with modern lacquered wire so should be ok I hope)

A couple photos for you of Big Brother MSS and Sporty Sister KSS!

Roger

DSC01522.JPG

DSC01520.JPG

DSC01519.JPG

On 4/23/2020 at 3:51 PM, GT6MK3 said:

Not sure if I’m finally growing up, or just having a mid life crisis.

My mate was forced to sell his after buying a new house, he still tears up when you talk to him about it, love of his life!

Was a few years older than that mind you.

Nice bling Craig!

Edited by mattius

• 2 weeks later...

Though there is much that is grim on the cursed island at present, we have been blessed with a really rather exceptional spring weather-wise and plant life is appreciating it.

We are deep in apple country here.  Cider apples. The apple blossom has been outstanding. This is one of the few remaining "old fashioned" orchards, with full sized trees over sheep-mown lawns.  Sadly the pictures have failed to capture just how much blossom there is

IMG_4546s.jpg

Lambs too.

IMG_4547sc.jpg

The flowering cherries in the churchyard have had a good year as well

IMG_4566s.jpg

IMG_4569s.jpg

Seems appropriate on VE day.......

Speaking of which...... we had this rather strange variant of a street party this afternoon..... social distancing observed and no cake sharing

IMG_4578s.jpg

Among those present, a gent who remembers the actual day as an 11 year old and the actual celebrations.  Surprised me - turns out he's a good 10 years older than I thought he was!

Wow Nick, your part of the world looks idyllic. 

I was roused from my bank holiday lie-in by the Red Arrows streaking past the window, but I was too slow to get a photo. 

Later on me and my daughter printed our own bunting using a cardboard press and a swede(!), she then sewed it together and hung it up. Here's a pic with the union-jack-coloured London Eye just about visible in the background.

DSC_6672.JPG

10 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Though there is much that is grim on the cursed island at present, we have been blessed with a really rather exceptional spring weather-wise and plant life is appreciating it.

We are deep in apple country here.  Cider apples. The apple blossom has been outstanding. This is one of the few remaining "old fashioned" orchards, with full sized trees over sheep-mown lawns.  Sadly the pictures have failed to capture just how much blossom there is

IMG_4546s.jpg

Lambs too.

IMG_4547sc.jpg

The flowering cherries in the churchyard have had a good year as well

IMG_4566s.jpg

IMG_4569s.jpg

Seems appropriate on VE day.......

Speaking of which...... we had this rather strange variant of a street party this afternoon..... social distancing observed and no cake sharing

IMG_4578s.jpg

Among those present, a gent who remembers the actual day as an 11 year old and the actual celebrations.  Surprised me - turns out he's a good 10 years older than I thought he was!

What a lovely village street, take the cars out and the picture could have been taken in the 1940's!

Yes the blossom has been beautiful, helped by the sunny weather and very clear air seems to make everything brighter...

Mike 

I've somehow managed to find myself supplying the local hospital with 3d printed mask straps, i printed a handful for the Mrs a couple of months ago, then some for her friends, then a few spare, now over 1000 and getting emails from NHS supply chain (i don't think they realise i am one guy with one printer) lol how did that happen?

Managed to build up a backlog of supplies so i can rebuild the 3d printer today (3 fans have worn out after running 24/7 for 8 weeks), i need it back in action on Sunday to get me back on track! No pressure...

You think i can use this as an excuse to buy a new 3d printer?

IMG_20200504_112121.thumb.jpg.d724ffbfe3ab4d61f868a51e21760f49.jpg

Warm and bright again this evening, so took my exercise on two wheels.  

Beautiful pink hawthorns

IMG_4586s.jpg

Halfway halt - Burrow Hill

IMG_4598s.jpg

IMG_4593s.jpg

IMG_4589s.jpg

IMG_4594s.jpg

More orchards........ and where there are orchards....

IMG_4600s.jpg

Home of Somerset cider brandy.  Rocket fuel!

10 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Seems reasonable.  Though looks posher than ours already :smile:

Hah, bought it for £150 from china 3 years ago, it should not still be running all the abuse its had, its a frankenmonster but still going strong...

Hello All

I thought I would have a go at this CAD design lark!

So I assembled all the right tools needed and after a couple of false starts managed to get the hang of it!

So what do you think of my first attempt at CAD?

I used all the right tools a LAP and a TOP now I just have to make it in steel

Roger

ps Cardboard Aided Design !

DSC01558.JPG