Covid 19, novel corona virus. Split from off-grid thread

2 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Pushing against an open door here John. Though I have to say that the latest round of Moderna boosters in this area (had mine at the end of October) does seem to have provoked more comments about side effects, both feeling poorly for a day or two and a persistent sore arm. I was similarly affected but would still have another if/when offered.

You remind me that I need to chase up a flu jab….

Hello All

We had our Flu vaccination at the same time and since then we have been to the doctors to top up all our other vaccinations ready for our trip to India on the 11th January until the 31st January.

This is the trip we had to rush home from last time as Covid was breaking out!

We thought we were going to have to drive down to London tomorrow to get our Visa's as the Evisa's were off line but they came back on on Monday so we spent about 2hours of head and bum scratching and they came back granted on Tuesday.

The Big plus side it save us a lot of money as the visa's were going to be £149 each and the people doing it were charging £125 each (no appointments free to book they must group book?)

The Evisa's were £35.50 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we are Very happy bunnies!

Roger and the Memsahib

ps I will post an itinery of the trip if you are interested (Kolkata,Darjeeling,Delhi,Agra,Shimla,Ooty. 3 narrow guage railways and main line ones!)

P1060296.JPG

P1060128.JPG

P1060334.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 6:09 PM, JohnD said:

Last week, over 300 people a day were so ill with flu they were admitted to UK hospitals.  This week, it's over 400 a day, a 40% increase.   If that accelerates, then soon we could be facing as many admissions as we did for Covid. 

Call me Cassandra, but this week nearly four THOUSAND people were so ill with flu that they needed to be admitted to hospital.   Ok, rather than "next week" this week is three weeks later, but an admission rate ten times greater over that time should scare anyone who cares about their family, dependants and even their NHS, which still has 12 thousand people in hospital beds where they no longer need to be.

Please, if you haven't had your flu vaccine this year, consider: Flu vaccine is FREE under the NHS, for anyone over 50, or who has other conditions that make them vulnerable.   Contact the pharmacy nearest/most convenient to you where you can get one either when you walk in or by appointment.    You know it makes sense!

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

It does….. if I could only find somewhere within 20 miles that can do it before February!

That's ridiculous!

Had mine back in October along with covid jag number 4. However after five weeks off the bike as a result of various rather taxing ailments from sore throat to mouth ulcers and a nasty cough with treatments including antiseptic mouthwash, antibiotics, steroidal mouthwash and anti-virals I have now developed an irregular heart rate. FFS!

Vexing.

Vexing indeed!  Hopefully a temporary thing caused by a virus? Sounds like you need a couple of weeks somewhere warm, Majorca or a Canary maybe?

There does seem to be a lot of general plague and pestilence about at present. SM has a bark like the hound of the Baskerville just now and when she’s not barking she’s blowing her nose.  I’m trying to be patient…. Might be me next. So far I’ve got away with just feeling a bit old(er), achier and (more) battered. Which is a shame as was feeling really good as we left Oz… bah….

24 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Sounds like you need a couple of weeks somewhere warm, Majorca or a Canary maybe?

Worth a shot :biggrin:

25 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

There does seem to be a lot of general plague and pestilence about at present. SM has a bark like the hound of the Baskerville just now and when she’s not barking she’s blowing her nose.  I’m trying to be patient…. Might be me next. So far I’ve got away with just feeling a bit old(er), achier and (more) battered. Which is a shame as was feeling really good as we left Oz… bah….

Not good :confused:

Hello All 

we are going to stay away from people for just over a week so we can be fitish for our Indian Magic trip!

I will start a thread soon and the itinery (I feel Knackered just looking at it!) still it will be WARM! and 3 weeks away from English winter Crap!

Roger and the Memsahib

P1060324.JPG

P1060332.JPG

P1060344.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been hobbled by covid again, 3rd time now. Barely noticed it last time in July but this time was more of a chore, albeit not for long. Felt a bit groggy on Monday morning so did a test which showed up immediately. Felt worse on tues, and a bit more on weds, but then seem to be getting over it today thankfully. Either I got a cold at the same time or covid decided to invade my sinuses this time... unpleasant...

Hasn't helped with my urgent garage clear-out plans.

Anyway watch out, it's doing the rounds again / still.

This rounds been pretty kind to me, I slept for  about 24 of the first 36 hours, and since yesterday all I’ve had is a bit of sinus discomfort and some tinnitus.  Haven’t even needed ibuprofen.

Currently negative on a RAT, so 24 more hours at home and if there no more symptoms I’ll be happy to head back to the world.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

I slept for  about 24 of the first 36 hours

That's the treatment I probably needed! But had a load of work deadlines, people phoning me up, etc. Got hardly any bloody sleep.

Sounds like a nice quick turnaround for you Craig, glad to hear.

11 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

I've been hobbled by covid again, 3rd time now.

Sorry to hear that Pete.

Got back from Spain last week to messages from all the guys I'd been away with saying they were all testing positive. The LFT was virtually glowing the test I did on Saturday. Mild sore head, loss of taste, a cough and vague feeling that I've eaten something that disagrees with me.

Tested today and still a faint line. Bugger. Dodged this thing for three years

3 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Tested today and still a faint line. Bugger. Dodged this thing for three years

That’s good going really. I’ve had it at least twice. (If you don’t test it’s only a cold?)

Mind you both our “kids” have completely avoided it even though they’ve surely been exposed at close quarters.

And I take 400 IU of VitD a day, it happens to be in the multivit tabs I take anyway.

And I've not had Covid - so far, he says, rapidly crossing his fingers.   But I have had all five of the Covid vaxes I've been offered.

Neither of these stories proves anything.   But the records of vaccination do.  The record of VitD is more speculative.

John

11 hours ago, JohnD said:

And I take 400 IU of VitD a day, it happens to be in the multivit tabs I take anyway.

And I've not had Covid - so far, he says, rapidly crossing his fingers.   But I have had all five of the Covid vaxes I've been offered.

Neither of these stories proves anything.   But the records of vaccination do.  The record of VitD is more speculative.

John

I'm the same as you John. With the exception that I have recently got covid for the first time.

Not sure what that makes of our sample of three but suspect there are a few other factors floating about that prevent our sample results being statistically significant. 

There are people who are COVID immune!    It's suggested that in them, previous infections with other coronaviruses - the common cold above all - happens to have hit on an immune response that's active against COVID.

But my immune history has it odd moments.   When I was working, we were required to get HepB vaccinated.   Good idea, when you are seeing a lot of blood spilt at work.    After vaccination, we had to have a blood sample to show that we had reacted adequately.  Mine didn't, so, another dose! After three doses, I still didn't 'seroconvert' but Occy Health told I was probably OK, and to go away!

Even if I were more COVID immune than my vaxes provide, I don't have standing on a hill, in a thunderstorm, dressed in wet armour, shouting - all gods are barstards  in mind. image.thumb.png.7cf9fcc5697583504512abb72eb7880e.png

Terry Pratchett, 1998

I think I said  recently that no Spring Covid Vax programme planned - I am corrected as there is, but very limited, to:

•    Care Home Residents
•    Aged 75 and over by 30th June 2023
•    Those aged 5-74 who are immunosuppressed

If you or yours fall into these categories, please make sure you get yours!   I do, and I'll be helping with the visits to care homes.

John