Covid 19, novel corona virus. Split from off-grid thread

Humanity?   Well, humans are intrinsicly selfish, even to their genes.

When there are at least 35 world companies looking for a Covid-19 vaccine, does the Orange Dicatator hope to buy them all for America?   Why, when Moderna in Boston, Novavax in Maryland, the Sabi Institute in Washington DC, among other US companies are working in this field?        Has someone fed the Great Man with Little Hands a hot market tip that he believes?  CureVac has laboratories in Boston too.   But to bet on one company?  Because the failure rate of new vaccines is high - either they prove to be toxic or ineffective - the odds that one will be "The One" are low.

Hopefully they tell him where to go.......

It's going to be..... err...... interesting.... in the US.  Given that there are 3rd world countries out there with better public health systems and better support for the poor.  And there was the Trump administration busily dismantling the tentative first steps taken towards a civilized system (Obamacare) to make sure it couldn't hurt the profits the health giants.  

We are globallly between a rock and a hard  place, at least until avaccien is found. Wuhan locked everyone down and stopped th spread, but now has no  herd immunity. UK aims for herd immunity to allow us all to come out to play -but only in UK- later this year. But that means isolating the oldies. Nations without either herd immunity or a vaccien/drug are going to see COVID for years to come, outbreak afte outbreak.

All the above changes for the worse if the virus mutates to defeat a vaccine or drug.

1 hour ago, mattius said:

I think sanity of humans (if it hasn't already) is going to go out the window soon, 

Especially the over 70s if they are locked up for 4 months!

Maybe we, the over-70s, will be allowed to come out to play when all the disease carrying youngsters are curfewed.

Looks like our trip to Melbourne in late May/early June to see birth of grand daughter and marriage of step daughter has just been sunk with Scott Morrison setting 14 day self isolation for all foreigners arriving in Aus. :down:That would be fun after such a flight. Just got to wrangle the refund now!

Stay sane and safe everyone.

when you start to see everything that is being cancelled (either  as a result of government actions or secondary effects) you realise that this will have a enormous effect of business and peoples life styles for at least 6 months. 
We are, by default, doing what a lot of XR has been asking us to do. At the end of this I wonder if things will go back to how there were before.
Already industry is starting to rethink the whole global supply chain approach to manufacturing, there is a lot to be said to being able to manufacture stuff for yourself (everything from cars to pharmaceuticals). If we developed a vaccine in the country we don't have the facilities in the UK any more to mass produce it, we have to rely on the EU of China...

Mike

9 minutes ago, mpbarrett said:

when you start to see everything that is being cancelled (either  as a result of government actions or secondary effects) you realise that this will have a enormous effect of business and peoples life styles for at least 6 months. 
We are, by default, doing what a lot of XR has been asking us to do. At the end of this I wonder if things will go back to how there were before.
Already industry is starting to rethink the whole global supply chain approach to manufacturing, there is a lot to be said to being able to manufacture stuff for yourself (everything from cars to pharmaceuticals). If we developed a vaccine in the country we don't have the facilities in the UK any more to mass produce it, we have to rely on the EU of China...

Mike

It's war against covid. UK can build a vaccine factory given the funds. The skill base is here.
"Just in time" operations look like hubris now.

Peter

Strange how "what goes around, comes arround"

BBC today;

"European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has called on member states to fight the pandemic with a rapidly co-ordinated response and pooled resources.

She said the bloc would boost production of equipment such as ventilators, test kits and masks, which would then be shared across the EU instead of each country making its own supply.

"The export of these products to non-EU countries would be strictly controlled."

With Brexit, the UK left the European Medicines Agency, which licences drugs, and can authorise "accelerated" release in an emergency.   The Uk is also unbale to be part of the EU's bulk-buying structure for vaccines, and if those are developed and available from an EU source will have to queue with other non-members.   

This was pointed out yesterday by a letter to the Guardian from leading academics and lawyers at the London School of Hygiene, the Amsterdam Law School and Queens, Belfast.   See: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/why-brexit-will-delay-uk-getting-vaccine-and-cost-more

If you don't belong to the club, you don't get club benefits.   That's how it works.

John

No, we left the EU!  Didn't you get the email from Downing Strret?    "We got Brexit done!"

Yes, we still have to pay dues, great negotiating, greatest negotiating in the world - oh, hang on, that's another moron isn't it!

Daughter (Cons.Physician) on 14 days from today after No.3 grandson gets cough and fever, so S-i-L (Cons.Surgeon) can't work either, and is furious!

Already, four from her dept and five from his, are in the same position.    

So, stay isolated, you oldies, or your pneumonia will be treated by an orthopaedic surgeon!

John

5 hours ago, JohnD said:

Daughter (Cons.Physician) on 14 days from today after No.3 grandson gets cough and fever, so S-i-L (Cons.Surgeon) can't work either, and is furious!

Already, four from her dept and five from his, are in the same position.    

So, stay isolated, you oldies, or your pneumonia will be treated by an orthopaedic surgeon!

John

Its like wild fire:  propagation in an excitable medium. Schoolkids deliver the sparks- that might be a deliberate ploy. But your families' experience exposes the flaw.  Worse, I dont see a dip in the functioning of NHS is the governments models......

Yes, well isolated ....for most of the year I expect.

Peter

My work are very much blazing their own trail on this one: we've just been told that, unless pregnant or high risk, everyone must be in the office or will be marked as 'unauthorised leave' with subsequent disciplinary measures. No actual mention of those displaying virus symptoms!

Several major clients have suddenly got no income, so are looking to cancel or suspend contracts. For some reason that means we all have to show our faces at the company HQ in central London.

No skin off my nose really, but i've got some mild flu-like symptoms (no cough though) so was working from home to be considerate. Tomorrow i'll go in and give the director a firm handshake, possibly before I wash my hands.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PeteStupps said:

My work are very much blazing their own trail on this one: we've just been told that, unless pregnant or high risk, everyone must be in the office or will be marked as 'unauthorised leave' with subsequent disciplinary measures. No actual mention of those displaying virus symptoms!

Several major clients have suddenly got no income, so are looking to cancel or suspend contracts. For some reason that means we all have to show our faces at the company HQ in central London.

No skin off my nose really, but i've got some mild flu-like symptoms (no cough though) so was working from home to be considerate. Tomorrow i'll go in and give the director a firm handshake, possibly before I wash my hands.

Wipe snot on your hands first, an ideal  opportunity to clear out those oldie directors. You want directors who are smart and on the ball, not those who plan mayhem.

Peter

7 minutes ago, PeterC said:

Wipe snot on your hands first, an ideal  opportunity to clear out those oldie directors. You want directors who are smart and on the ball, not those who plan mayhem.

Peter

I think he'd be more cautious if he was an oldie! Probably mid-40s or thereabouts. Good idea though, I'll say 'sorry my hands are clammy from the sanitiser' ... haha