Aaron's Spitfire

Well, seeing as someone thought I was on here anyway I thought I'd join up - especially now you're up and running again!

Anyway, I'm Aaron; I'm 17 and I own a Flamenco Red 1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500. I bought from the previous owner - who worked on an abandoned WWII RAF airfield - and the airfield police chased us thinking we were doing wheelies! (it wasn't TOO abandoned) It was right opposite the Tangmere aviation museam too, so maybe they bought it thinking it was a very cheap RAF fighter...?

bmCwi.jpg bmTZi.jpg

bnari.jpg bnfqA.jpg

It currently resides in my garage, awaiting new bearings for the front wheels :)

Aaron

my spitfire was my first car, i actually found it cheaper to insure on mainstream insurers rather than classics insurers. Saying that i had a friend who swore by lancaster, they insured him for pennies at 17

Welcome Aaron!

Good choice, looks a nice car.  Hope you enjoy it.

But at 17, how are you insuring it?

Over on the TSSC site they are agonising about insurance for young drivers.

John

Are you; by any chance; John D - D for Davies? And are you on the TSSC with the same profile picture?

If so you'll have noticed me there :D

Insurance is (while still OTT and very expensive) a lot cheaper than it is for modern cars!

thats him aaron.

dont worry the insurance comes down quick, if i was to insure my car as std it would be £104 a year fully comp. saying that just watched a program where a guy got quoted 29,000 to insure a 700 quid fiat.

Hi Aaron

Welcome, nice car. I fished around for a couple of quotes for my 19 year old nephew who has been driving since 17 and got through a selection of Nova's, clio's ect. The last car a vauxhall astra convertible I think he was paying around 3000 GBP, :o which I thought was ridiculous. The best quote was from Peter James. I based the quotes on a 1300 mk4 Spit which was around 600 GBP and a 1500 Spit was around 900 GBP. Anyway he bought a Golf in the end so paying around 1600 GBP. MY first car at 17 was a 1600GT MK1 capri in 1980. Third party fire and theft insurance was about 150 GBP and I was earning about 60 a week.

Cheers

Mark

Yeah, insurance is an odd thing :/

My £1300 car costs £1300 to insure; my friends £850 mini costs £850 to insure.

I should have said I bought it for £100!

More videos and pictures :D

[urrl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGM0dGqolxY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]video in the garage[/url]

Pictures: (random ones too ;) )

P1030603.jpg

P1030604.jpg

P1030605.jpg P1030606.jpg P1030607.jpg

P1030608.jpg P1030609.jpg P1030610.jpg Still, at least I've got matching tyre treads :PP1030611.jpg

P1030612.jpg P1030613.jpg

TOAD!P1030602.jpg

I'm sure I'll find more; but I'm currently stuck with a duff PC and the school network :(

Today I have been mainly trunnion dissembling:

First I thought it was far more difficult than I expected. Then I realised I was simply hammering the concrete floor away from underneath   :B:oops:

IMAG0039.jpg

So moving onto a plank of wood I dissembled it; cleaned it out and it's now drying ready to be rebuilt. Any ideas on what grease I should use?

IMAG0040.jpg

Aa

IIRC

One black top hat shaped bit through the hole in one of the larger metal discs so the plastic brim is one the same side as the lip. Do this twice.

Insert one plastic top hat with disc into each side of the trunnion. Might need a gentle tap with a knocky implement.

Slide the metal tube down the middle.

There should be 2 rubber sealing rings, put these round the inside lip of the smaller metal disc.

This then goes onto the larger disc so the rubber ring is inbetween the 2 metal discs.

That all make sense?????

Mark

OKay; I can't get the bearing runs (is that the right word?) out. Any ideas?

Hi Aaron, I assume you are talking about the bearing outer races, the rings, set into the rotating hub?

There's a well developed science and skill to handling bearings. I gather that you're a newbie to this so I'll try to be gentle.

And that, my friend, is the key. Be gentle. You shift bearings with subtlety and finesse as they are delicate creatures.

If you examine the hub carefully with all the grease removed you'll notice cutouts on each side of the hub exposing the backs of the races. With a suitable drift (punch, screwdriver, dull chisel) you're going to tap the back of the race back and forth to either side and gently walk the race out of it's machined bore. Take care to keep it even as cocking the race in the bore will bind it tight and damage the precision bore of the hub.

Back and forth on the race will work it out. Some heat from a 500Watt halogen yard light will expand the iron a bit to perhaps help.

Balance and finesse. Mind you the amount of force required is relative to the bearing size so you may start with some stout whacks if needed to get things moving, just don't cock the race in the bore.

Insertion of the new race is a bit more difficult as the stakes are higher. One misstep will damage your new bearing.

Prepare for this job and think it thru ahead. We're going to encourage you to use heat and cold to alter the relative sizes of the bits to facilitate reassembly. Cold will shrink the bearing race and heat will expand the hub allowing things to slip together easily if you've setup for it.

Put the bearing race in the freezer or set it on a piece of dry ice. The hub you can put in the oven at about 250F or set it on the 500 W lamp. These buggers are entirely adequate for all of my work if patient.

After the hub is hot you'll need to bring it to a solid flat surface to accept the bearing. Gloves will be required.

Grab the bearing and fit it to the bore of the hub and lightly tap around it's periphery to press it down into the bore EVENLY. If it goes askew and cocks from a heavy hand at one side it will bind. To add to the aggro, the pieces are changing dimensionally as they adjust to ambient so you must work smoothly.

If you do get in a serious bind STOP. Tap the bearing back out and rethink what went wrong.

The job you're doing is relatively easy and the Point of DS Tech is to help folk like yourself learning these skills. We're here for ya...

I'll wager Youtube has hundreds of instructional vids as well.

Good Luck and shout out, Steve

• Like 2

Thanks a lot!

Not to sure how happy mum would be about me using the oven for that though ;)

Yeah, I meant the bearing races. I'm using a borrowed copy of a 2003 Triumph World Article on how to replace them; though they're of course in a fully tooled-up workshop! :unsure:

I found the slots; but nowt want to move :/ so it's a good thing I didn't start whacking it!

Thanks a lot!

Not to sure how happy mum would be about me using the oven for that though ;)

Yeah, I meant the bearing races. I'm using a borrowed copy of a 2003 Triumph World Article on how to replace them; though they're of course in a fully tooled-up workshop! :unsure:

I found the slots; but nowt want to move :/ so it's a good thing I didn't start whacking it!

It's likely they'll be stubborn at first. Test the waters and calibrate your whack to get the result. Do you have a vise at least?

I did this in 1972 with three big spanners taped together cuz I didn't have a hammer. That was just after I got the 71 Spitty and the learning stories are often hilarious.... :blink:

Nope, I don't have a vice :/

It's got all dark now; so I won't be able to work on it till tomorrow :angry:

Why did you have to do that on a year old car?

I spent as much time working on that poor girl as I did driving her. I told everyone it was a love/hate affair as It was broken as much as it was fixed. Luckily I was in SoCal so I could bike everywhere. Picture hauling a Spitty trans on a ten speed to and from the shop. That worked OK. Now picture hauling a full length dressing mirror on that same bike. That DID NOT work OK. When it shattered I didn't even look back, just kept on going..... :P

BTW, bits of that original Spitty still reside in Spitsix sitting across the garden at the moment. The Commissioning plate at least. ;)