When leaders don't

GT6MK3

8 minutes ago, JohnD said:

His  entourage are saying that he will reject any adverse verdict by the Privileges Committee

Well obviously.......  none of that group believes in taking responsibility for anything.  They think public service is about absolute power without responsibility for their actions.  Unfortunately the political classes have not been held to account nearly enough in recent years and this badly needs to change.  I really hope we might be seeing the beginnings of this.

On 3/23/2023 at 9:19 PM, Nick Jones said:

Dare we hope that the Boil is about to be finally lanced, the unflushable, flushed?

This quote from Will Walden today struck a chord: “A man with an elastic relationship with the truth, swearing on a Bible to tell the truth about whether in the past he told the truth or not – I mean you literally couldn’t make it up.”

Quite.

There is so much going on in the world today, yet despite this being so,
we are being forced to endure even more of this man’s pish,
as headline news no less.
Och Och, has the media not got a more useful role?

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile the inability to tell the truth appears to be catching with a rather extensive outbreak of fibbery in our neck of the woods relating to party membership numbers, finances, the whereabouts of the best part of half a million quid and exactly why now was the best time to quit the party leadership.

Jeez!

Edited by Escadrille Ecosse

Yeah. Disappointing at best. Does maybe put a rather different slant on the resignation. 

Then there’s the Labour Party’s unforced descent into the gutter with their latest media campaign to discredit the government. Substantial own-goal in my view. 

Bring back the the Monster Raving Looney Party. Looking like the sanest choice :pinch: 

11 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Meanwhile the inability to tell the truth appears to be catching with a rather extensive outbreak of fibbery in our neck of the woods relating to party membership numbers, finances, the whereabouts of the best part of half a million quid and exactly why now was the best time to quit the party leadership.

Jeez!

After all those years like her or not. What a legacy !!!

Possibly we should reserve judgement - the man was released without charge?

Who knows what political shenanigans  have triggered this.

Like her or loathe her, she’s been a far better leader than the procession of horrors that have passed through Westminster in the same period (I know that’s a woefully low bar, but still)

19 minutes ago, Hamish said:

After all those years like her or not. What a legacy !!!

Eh! Sorry I don't want to sound rude, but Eh!

The last SNP leader is a self confessed sex pest and Russian apologist and now this one who did look at least competent and mostly honest if a bit of a martinet, is looking increasingly like a liar and a thief.

And her grip on the party was such that the people she leaves behind have no real experience in management, even if they were particulalrly competent which based on Humza's record of serial failure in office to date looks unlikely.

I recal the moans on Sideways regarding the election process for replacing the blond buffoon. Our current morally questionable vote dodging leader was brought in by a mere half of the 70,000 SNP membership - not even the 130,000 we were assured it was.

So I'm not sure what legacy you mean. And after the best part of 20 years in power still blaming everyone else for everything. We have a drugs death rate four times the UK average, what was once a world class education system is floundering and worst of all a fixation on the independence issue to the exclusion of all else which has largely ovetaken the whole country.

The main 'legacy' of all that is a polarised electorate split virtually 50/50 on the topic and a debate that has reached an impasse with neither side prepared to listen to the other.

It is this creation of mutually exclusive echo chambers which in my mind is the ultimate failure. A good leader finds ways to bring both sides together even if they have different views on a divisive subject. She failed do this.

Nothing to be proud of.

I await a flaming :ninja:

1 hour ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

I await a flaming :ninja:

Why would we do that? You have watched this with far more skin in the game and from much closer quarters than most of us….. So far our other Scottish correspondents have held their peace….

I should say that I strongly disagree with her basic mission of Scottish independence. While I can certainly sympathise with the urge to free oneself from the Westminster clusterfuck (we’d all like that), the United Kingdom will always be stronger united, as it was stronger and more prosperous as part of the EU.

That said, she has always seemed to me to have a greater grasp of the requirements of leadership and most basic honesty(!) than the clowns parade down here….

Our political system is in dire need of overhaul, and the ridiculous thing is that that lies largely in the hands of those profiting (all too literally in many cases) from the current unfit system.

May be legacy was the wrong word ! Nothing worthy implied at all. 

may be 

after all these years the last memory to be tagged with is this latest scandal 

when she thought she was going quietly on a no news lull. 

I am afraid that that there are very few if any politicians in for the right reasons. Too many are in it for a “career”.

"Career" politicians.

Do our Peers count as 'politicians'?  Yesterday's Guardian included a piece from a Noble Lord, and past senior civil servant, I think.  He pointed out that over the last ten years several hundred had been ennobled, for 'services to politics', whereas the number who had reached the ermine for their expertise, in business, industry or science was a small handful.   He opined that the role of the Lords is to provide such expertise to complement the politics of the Commons, and that more Lords with such experience was essential.

John

Edited by JohnD

• 1 month later...

And while on the subject of not giving a damn (see my last Sootmonster post) a couple of depressing stories in the news.

One new, to me anyway. How in the #### can you 'accidentally' claim expenses for a fine?

Four MPs are being asked to repay hundreds of pounds in driving fines which they claimed on expenses.

Maybe some of the public should be allowed to 'ask' them personally.

Three Tory scumbags and an SNP scumbag. Would appear that Keir may have a better grip on his party than the other two.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65736601

And and old running sore on the case of another (now-ex) SNP MP scumbag with her nose in the trough and an utter lack of morals after she knowingly travelled with Covid back from London during lockdown and has consistently refused to accept she did anything wrong. At least the SNP eventually felt they ought to chuck her out of the party.

At long last Parlament are planning to vote on excluding her and thereby forcing a by-election at which she will undoubtedly lose her seat. With even the SNP recognising pretty much zero chance of them winning it any time soon.

However interesting twist in that Boris's friends are worried this could set a precedent and are planning to vote against the motion. Shits upon shits....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-65702313

• 2 weeks later...

Rees-Mogg Sr. was made a life peer, and according to Debrett's the children of such peers "may use courtesy titles" - eg Sir or Lady - but only during the lifetime of the parent.    R-M Sr. died ten years ago, so R-M Jr. was a "Sir" until then.

Gosh, aren't we antique?

Rees-Mogg Sr as editior of the Times was a rather more humane individual. At least in the earlier days.

Junior is a tw@t and a remarkably unpleasant tw@t at that.

However you don't have to use his new title when you meet him, "oi, pompous tw@t" would serve.

Or Moggy.. Dictionary definition 'a cat, especially one that doesn't have a pedigree or is otherwise unremakable'

That fits the bill for junior too I would suggest :biggrin: