Windy-gun worn out?

I have a second-hand windy-gun, air, not battery powered as it says.     It's a Sealey, looks like this with a blue finish, but I've seen exactly the same design being sold under many names :

Image result for SEaley windy gun

Problem is, it's not very powerful!    It can just about tighten nuts to 40lbs-ft, and is no use at all in loosening seized nuts, even with the four position adjuster at '4'.     At the speciified 90psi of air pressure, which my compressor achieves, it should be able to get to 200lbs-ft.     I've had it apart, and there are no seals that might be leaking.

Is this just a knackered old tool that should be replaced?    A new one is £70, not impossible, but as said in another thread, we should be able to fix these things!

JOhn

I understand that about lesser compressors, Nick.      I'm using a direct drive compressor that is rated at 14cfm, with a 60L tank.     Once full, I've never had the compressor cut in while I'm using the windy-gun, which  you only use for a few seconds per nut anyway.    That would show that it wasn't coping with the air consumption, but I think it is.

But you say "regulator".    The valve that goes between the tank and the airline?    Can those be iffy?  The one on my compressor looks like this:

Pressure Switch Air Valve Manifold Compressor Control Regulator Gauges Inflators 

When I use the gun against a nut, the second, small dial drifts down very slightly and then rises again, as the tank opens.    The compressor doesn't cut in, even with as  long a blast as I'd give a nut before I tried something else.    That says to me that the pump is man for the job, but maybe not the gun.

I should thank you both for your comments!    I'm not arguing, just clarifying the situation!

John

Edited by JohnD

My compressor has a connection direct to the tank. I use that when using a rattlegun, and it works. Using a hobby type regulator, as mentioned above, is hopeless.

The guns are pretty simple inside. I gave mine a good cleanout with white spirit, blew it out , then threw some engine oil in to soak it all. Can make a bit of a mess when first used after the oiling though.

Try it in the direct-to-tank connection John if you have one.  That looks like a "piddly little regulator" to me.  The reason the compressor doesn't cut in is the gun can't take the air it needs.  Air hammers / chisels are another tool with a very high instantaneous air demand that work poorly if the regulator is too small.

If you are a regular air tools user you should have an in-line oiler that puts a fine oil mist into the air to keep them alive.  A separate air hose is strongly advised of you also do paint!  If only an occasional tool user then you may prefer to manually oil the tool before and after use with a few drops down the air inlet.

Agreed with above, your regulator is most likely not supplying enough air.

If I have four or five air tools in use on deck on a ship, then my G.S. Compressor cannot cope and bottle pressure drops. Our air systems have many many times the flow and capacity of John's, so his setup should be struggling with continued use of an impact gun!

Phil

I can try it as an experiment, if I can work out how to reconnect that air line.    Short circuit past the regulator?   Or T-piece between tank and regulator???

But beacsue the Compressor is so boody noisy, I've enclosed in a noise suppresisng box, quite successful , and exiled it to a far corner of the garage.   Then run a lemgth of wall mounted hose to a wall mounted retractable reel in the centre , so convneient for anywhere.     So I need some emans of switching the regulator out.

But why the regulator?     With gas cylinders, they ensure that downstream presure is constant , as the cylinder is used up and the pressure falls.    BUt here we have a bloody great (well not so great Phil!) compressor to keeep the pressure up.   So ditcvh the regulator??

JOhn

I'd be thinking about a t-piece before the regulator, as it is unlikely you would use more than one piece of equipment at a time? Be easier to plumb in than disturbing the compressor setup?

Why do you use the regulator? Normally only needed if you have equipment that needs a lower pressure than what is tanked, if all your equipment is 90psi and that is what is in the tank, it is pretty superfluous. Certainly onboard we run everything direct from the line (tank), very rarely use a regulator.

Phil

Even if you do need to drop the pressure such as spraying, you can always run direct from tank and use a remote regulator on the end of the airline just before the tool/spray gun this way you get more accurate pressure at tool/gun. Line losses are accounted for.

12 hours ago, JohnD said:

I understand that about lesser compressors, Nick.      I'm using a direct drive compressor that is rated at 14cfm, with a 60L tank.     Once full, I've never had the compressor cut in while I'm using the windy-gun, which  you only use for a few seconds per nut anyway.    That would show that it wasn't coping with the air consumption, but I think it is.

But you say "regulator".    The valve that goes between the tank and the airline?    Can those be iffy?  The one on my compressor looks like this:

Pressure Switch Air Valve Manifold Compressor Control Regulator Gauges Inflators 

When I use the gun against a nut, the second, small dial drifts down very slightly and then rises again, as the tank opens.    The compressor doesn't cut in, even with as  long a blast as I'd give a nut before I tried something else.    That says to me that the pump is man for the job, but maybe not the gun.

I should thank you both for your comments!    I'm not arguing, just clarifying the situation!

John

John,

What pressure are you running it at - ie: wht is the small dial saying before it dips? I'd turn that large red screw clockwise till the pressure is at the max rated for the gun.

C.

John

Don't forget that the pressure drop along the length of hose can be significant. It may be that with the length of hose you have the gun is not getting the pressure that the regulator is set at particularly if the regulator is at or near its flow capacity. Can you experiment with a short hose between the regulator & gun & see if that improves the performance of the gun.

Dave