8 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Buyers premium 25%!! :pinch: Thieves they are. And 20% VAT….  

Bargains??

I saw that. So you pay 50% more than the hammer price. Ouch.

And as usual wrong end of the country for me. 

Hello all,

looking at the current prices for the Harrisons and the Bridgeports, even plus 20% VAT on hammer and 25% premium they don't seem dear to me?

Say a Harrison at £800 plus £160 Vat plus £200 premium so £1160 for a machine which normally will have little wear seems reasonable?

Alec

Hello All

I agree £1200 for a Harrison is a bargin 

The small Chink one I bought 2 years ago is now about £1800!!!

Plus so little wear on these

Plus just the right size for a home workshop and with power slides both ways and screw cutting and built like a Brick Outhouse.

You just need a single phase motor or one of those converter thingys

Transport might be a bit high and getting down the garden path a problem?

Roger

8 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

I think the excessive premium is depressing the bids on these. Ex-college gear is mostly "light use" and reasonably well maintained. Not from the auction, but I recently got this via a dealer and it's ex-college from Castleford:

image.thumb.jpeg.b332350ac05dfa65361bb86fb4992167.jpeg

Good choice. I splashed out a few years ago and bought a Oxford, exactly the same machine except it is green. I find it flatters my welding abilities, it always seems to produce good welds no matter what. (excepty when I forget to turn the gas back on at the bottle)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zetecspit said:

Good choice. I splashed out a few years ago and bought a Oxford, exactly the same machine except it is green. I find it flatters my welding abilities, it always seems to produce good welds no matter what. (excepty when I forget to turn the gas back on at the bottle)

Good to hear that Clive, I spent quite a bit of time agonizing over this one (used) and other new options (Parweld XTE 171C, SWP MIG 180 TURBO, R-Tech MIG180) - to me it's a big amount to spend, so I wanted to make the right choice, especially with so much panel work to do on the cars. 

On second look, that is the next model up. More power (though my 180A will happily stick 6mm stuff, and with care 8mm) but yours has more power steps, mine has 6. Which is enough, but more seems a good idea. 

Pretty good on thin stuff too..

Edited by zetecspit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zetecspit said:

On second look, that is the next model up. More power (though my 180A will happily stick 6mm stuff, and with care 8mm) but yours has more power steps, mine has 6. Which is enough, but more seems a good idea. 

Pretty good on thin stuff too..

I picked it over the other options because it went lower on the amps 

I'd need to rewire the garage before using it at the top end. 

7 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

I'd need to rewire the garage before using it at the top end

I've often wondered about this (having the same issue with my welder, although the current complete lack of garage nullifies this somewhat), would it not be financially viable to purchase a small genset instead? For example, Machine Mart have a 5.5KVA Genny for about £600, I'd imagine you can pick up a decent second hand one for far less. For how often it would be used, surely far cheaper than wiring a full new circuit in?

6 hours ago, thebrookster said:

I've often wondered about this (having the same issue with my welder, although the current complete lack of garage nullifies this somewhat), would it not be financially viable to purchase a small genset instead? For example, Machine Mart have a 5.5KVA Genny for about £600, I'd imagine you can pick up a decent second hand one for far less. For how often it would be used, surely far cheaper than wiring a full new circuit in?

It's an interesting angle and not one I'd even thought about - good idea!

The thing is, the current feed to the garage at the new house is p1ss poor, there's an old 2 way fuse box where I'd like a more modern consumer unit. So I'm faced with having to renew it all even if I just want to use compressor/power tools in confidence. Also... son is about to qualify as an electrician. I'd like to get a serious armoured cable run in direct from the meter box with a good isolator, then a 3 way consumer unit, a proper ring main and lighting set-up and a couple of 16A sockets for the welder and compressor. 

After all that I'll probably end up spending more then a gen set on materials alone. Illogical, but I have a bit of an OCD about this sort of thing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

It's an interesting angle and not one I'd even thought about - good idea!

The thing is, the current feed to the garage at the new house is p1ss poor, there's an old 2 way fuse box where I'd like a more modern consumer unit. So I'm faced with having to renew it all even if I just want to use compressor/power tools in confidence. Also... son is about to qualify as an electrician. I'd like to get a serious armoured cable run in direct from the meter box with a good isolator, then a 3 way consumer unit, a proper ring main and lighting set-up and a couple of 16A sockets for the welder and compressor. 

After all that I'll probably end up spending more then a gen set on materials alone. Illogical, but I have a bit of an OCD about this sort of thing

If the labour is free, it won't be too expensive apart from the armoured cable. But I would suggest a 40a D or C rated breaker in the house to feed the garage. Better still, an RCBO. I have searched for a reg that would allow a 100ma rcd in the house, but it has eluded me. Still, I do have one I will probably fit, with 30ma in the garage itself. Shhh.

• 4 weeks later...