365 photos in 365 days

4 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

Day 61.

34DE7470-C5EE-4E5B-8509-3380A3566085.jpeg

That soapy bubble is air leaking out of what should be an airtight manifold.  Drat.

Is this a weld that is leaking, or a seal?      I've found that it's really difficult to affect a seal in a MiG weld.   I've had to grind out and reweld a fabrication several times to get it tight.   I'm told, can't say,  that a TiG seals better and brazing is best!

John

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, JohnD said:

Is this a weld that is leaking, or a seal?      I've found that it's really difficult to affect a seal in a MiG weld.   I've had to grind out and reweld a fabrication several times to get it tight.   I'm told, can't say,  that a TiG seals better and brazing is best!

John

It's leaking out from under an adapter plate.  2 problems - I made it out of 3mm sheet rather than 6, and there is a slight raised lip on the edge of the original flange.  

New plate made from 6mm stock tonight at the Alan's house of big boys tools, and a relief filed for the lip.

Fingers crossed it hold air when tested in 24 hours.

Day 65.

WCYKzK+MQguOwlg34L5g0A.jpg

The smug, self satisfied smile of the engine builder who's pressure test hasn't dipped in over 5 minutes.

3 minutes later there was a "Pop", followed by a "Ppppffffffffftttttttttt" as the seal broke, and all the air leaked out.  

Less happy face.

Just over 300mmHg, or about 6 psi.  The seal in question is an adapter plate the reed valve for the carb mounts onto - it wont ruin the engine if it leaks, but it will cause a lumpy idle, and has the potential to cause runaway acceleration.

Good news it the cylinder itself and the gearbox are sealed.

Need to look at a gasket rather than just goop.

Your lighting, and the semi-scientific subject, makes me think of:

An Experiment on a Bird in an Air Pump by Joseph Wright of Derby, 1768.jpg

An Experiment on a Bird in the Air Pump.  by Joseph Wright of Derby.

All you need is a family with varying degrees of interest around you, and a Dr.Who (Tom Baker style) costume, and you have it!

John