Soot Monster

Nick Jones

3 hours ago, thebrookster said:

Yeah, this reminds me as to why I no longer do my own repairs on the modern cars..........

Well….. yes. Though financial considerations aside, the timings are tricky as well. He has a 40 mile commute at least 5 days a week plus occasional on-call, so being without a car is logistically challenging.  I did investigate the cost of adding him to my insurance for Sooty 1, but baulked at £88 for a week. Because he’s a “young driver”. Been driving just over 7 years (more than 100k driven we calculated, less than the 130k cycled over a slightly longer period), clean licence, no claims/convictions ever and ALL they care about is <25!!  My opinions on the UK insurance industry cannot be put in print….  

Had a shock getting quotes for the 650 Suzuki I just acquired. Last bike owned in 2021, a 2015 Triumph tiger 800xc full comp £300ish same company since buying the bike new. Maximum no claims expired after 2 years, and the previous insurers no longer covered bikes. First quote now without no claims bonus £2700 full comp, really, i just laughed. Rang around, next was £1500 then £650. In the end opted for TPFT £320. 60 years old, access to other vehicles, never had an accident or claim in 43 years of driving cars and motorbikes, means nothing.  Car renewal just came in £200 more the  last year.

3 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Well….. yes. Though financial considerations aside, the timings are tricky as well. He has a 40 mile commute at least 5 days a week plus occasional on-call, so being without a car is logistically challenging.  I did investigate the cost of adding him to my insurance for Sooty 1, but baulked at £88 for a week. Because he’s a “young driver”. Been driving just over 7 years (more than 100k driven we calculated, less than the 130k cycled over a slightly longer period), clean licence, no claims/convictions ever and ALL they care about is <25!!  My opinions on the UK insurance industry cannot be put in print….  

Too right - complete fraudsters.

....added to the difficulty for young drivers is that they can't have TP driving other cars cover on their own insurance (as old fellas like me USUALLY get - but watch out some policies even exclude that for oldies.....)

It's not him, Nick, it's all the other little wastrels who are <25!

Could he become a she - it's very fashionable!

Reported road casualties Great Britain, provisional results: 2022 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Sex Age group (years) 2022 % change from 2019 % change from 2012
Male 0 to 16 38 27 -27
Male 17 to 29 346 7 -17
Male 30 to 49 366 -3 -4
Male 50 to 69 296 -8 10
Male 70 and over 231 -9 5
Male All ages 1,277 -2 -5
Female 0 to 16 16 -16 -24
Female 17 to 29 74 6 -24
Female 30 to 49 85 52 -11
Female 50 to 69 85 -28 8
Female 70 and over 155 -16 26
Female All ages 415 -7

image.png

Edited by JohnD

Yes John, but I would contend that a clean 7 year driving record (which your aforementioned little wastrels presumably can’t match) ought be worth worth rather more than it apparently is.

And the graph you posted doesn’t explain why all out elderly relatives are getting roasted on their renewals just now…..