Herald (Vitesse) Estate Project

Hi all,

a year ago I could not resist.

Unfortunately finishing the Mini of my son prevented me cfrom starting with the Herald.

Aim is to have the Vitesse running gear mated with the Estate.

The dismantling began and I´m astonished how solid the car is.

Yes here are the pics

Only welding I found was beneath the fuel tank. Many critical areas (C-posts, windscreen, chassis) very good.

Cheers Martin

post-819-0-18431900-1409499179_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-67631400-1409499230_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-53890100-1409499240_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-65972800-1409499256_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-23887400-1409499266_thumb.jpg

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, those parts look good.  How about wheelarches, tread plates, body mounts (esp under A pillar)?  And of course front corners of bonnet?

What is easier with the authorities - Vitesse becomes estate body style or Herald gains two cylinders and some cc's?

Will watch with interest

Nick

Rear wheelarches are without rust.

Treadplates need repair, a-post looks good.

Bonnet salvagable whith some repairs, but I'm after a Vitesse one as well as after a skylight sun roof.

Authorities, hmmm, will check that out later, both seem to be possible.

Cheers

Martin

Yep, that's right.  Triumph never made any on the lines but a few were converted to special order at the Park Royal service centre.  A few others have been built less officially.

Co-incidently I was speaking to a friend today who has a Park Royal one.  It is in bits and has been for a while but the bits are in fairly good condition.  He has no immediate prospect of putting it back together so I (half seriously) offered to buy it.  I don't think he's selling though......

Would be a very cool car done right.  Not that many Herald estates left now - they got beaten to death in the 80s mostly.

Nick

Here was an unofficial one:

post-690-0-10270700-1409515854_thumb.jpg     post-690-0-10904900-1409515871_thumb.jpg

After the 'Ring it didn't have straight panel, but the body went to someone in Liverpool building another for rust replacement.

IMHO, another profitable model that Triumph missed, like the Spitfire 6 (AKA Gitfire), but then in the 60s, "estate cars" were just vans with windows, utility vehicles, without the cachet of the Reliant Scimitar (and Princess Anne), or the modern hatchback.  It would have been a 'simples' model to produce though, at no extra cost.  Instead Park Royal had to buy complete Herald Estates, and replace the bonnets, engines etc from the Triumph Spares Dept, so the cars were very expensive.

John

Edited by JohnD

• 2 months later...

Martin,

A body shop friend showed me recently that what you have to do with your modern is completely intentional.   In the name of energy absorbtion, front panels are sacrificial and if necessary, so is the engine and front suspension, which all break off and go under.    You were lucky to get away with 'just' that bent cross member, which is only there to hang the plastic bodywork on!

Enjoy your Vitesse Estate!

JOhn

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, tinworm attack......

Nick

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that Triumph engineers designed the cars to, over time, develop deformable elements to absorb some of the energy of impacts.

I'm almost positive it was the "Triumph Integrated iNhibitor With Optional cRumple Modules" or maybe it ended with Optimal Crash Mitigation

Edited by pomwah

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

unfortunately s l o w  m o t i o n. Allways some niggles with the Mini of my son where I have to digg in. Drives me crazy that little car.

Nice result, only some minor holes showed up after sand blasting.

post-819-0-33299200-1438687130_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Suspect it is some ancestral version of Evostick contact adhesive (the one that could take you a trip is used in confined space!).

You could try Carb cleaner - that seems to dissolve nearly anything......

Not sure I've even seen a floor which is intact along the front edge joining section before.....

Nick

Have you tried heat?

A paint stripper heat gun might be enough, else a gas torch - the propane type, not a gas axe!

It might soften enough to scrape off.   Paint stripper hook tool, the shield shaped type, for the curved bits.

Good luck.

John

Edited by JohnD

celly (nitro) thinners should do it, but tend to evaporate too fast.

Get some kitchen roll/loo paper/tissue and tinfoil. Soak a layer of tissue with the thinners, cover with foil and leave for an hour. That tends to shift most stuff. May need several layers of tissue to hold plenty of thinners.

so, took some paint stripper and put some plastic foil on it. Will wait some days and then report back.

My idea was to leave the bitumen in the car, but I hated the sticky adhesive, which had soaked up dirt from 40+ years and if i let it there, covered with carpet I would always have in mind that this "Bähhhh" is underneath my ass.