Milling machine Sieg Sx2.7

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Chippy

It all depends on what you want the machine for!

I have an earlier version of this one that I got at a good price!(it is not a direct drive it has a high and low range gearbox)

http://www.toolco.co.uk/products/vm32b-belt-drive-variable-speed-milling-machine-1

It is ok  but it is not like having a proper milling machine!

They are ok on Aluminium and Brass etc but on steel of quality you have to take small cuts which is slow work but as a hobby machine it is ok

I have made a lot of parts and modified lots of parts (I like to be in charge of my own jobs!)

Keep your eye open for a used one with tooling(that's were you will spend a lot of money) probably as much as the machine because cheap tools are cheap tools!!!!

Roger

8 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Yes Nick, the sieg seemes to be a superior machine with the r8 taper instead of Mt2. 750w brushless motor etc. And they seem to be preferred by the model engineering guys. They havent got the rotating head giving more rigidity by all accounts.

7 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Chippy

It all depends on what you want the machine for!

I have an earlier version of this one that I got at a good price!(it is not a direct drive it has a high and low range gearbox)

http://www.toolco.co.uk/products/vm32b-belt-drive-variable-speed-milling-machine-1

It is ok  but it is not like having a proper milling machine!

They are ok on Aluminium and Brass etc but on steel of quality you have to take small cuts which is slow work but as a hobby machine it is ok

I have made a lot of parts and modified lots of parts (I like to be in charge of my own jobs!)

Keep your eye open for a used one with tooling(that's were you will spend a lot of money) probably as much as the machine because cheap tools are cheap tools!!!!

Roger

Cheers Roger, I know anything at the sort of price im looking at will be a compramise and definitely agree second hand with tooling is the way to go. A bridgeport would be nice but its got to be carried down my long garden. 

Steve

I have a Varco WM18 milling machine, I agree with Roger small milling machines are ok for ali plastic but struggle with decent steel, but I do use it a lot. 
Makes a very accurate drill press and if you put router tools can be used for wood as well!

Would be nice to have a bigger one (or a CNC machine) but don't have the space in the workshop/garage.

I have put digital readouts on it well worth the extra money.

Mike

Hello All

I also fitted DRO on mine(I took a chance and ordered it direct from China)a lot cheaper and works for me as I am old school(Imperial!)plus it does things that are way above my pay scale!

Chippy if your budget will stretch to it go for the WM18 size in which ever make is cheapest because as Mike says they are not that strong!

I took mine to pieces to put it on the stand and give all the bits a good clean and lube(B****y Heavy!)

This is what I would really like! and so cheap even allowing for a new motor(well perhaps a touch smaller?)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elliot-Omnimill-02-Milling-Machine-Lathe-Mill-Vertical-Horizontal-Turret/333289062330?hash=item4d99937fba:g:2eUAAOSwyElc1SY8

Roger

ps you will start making things you did not know you needed and doing ridiculas things because you can and spend hours making or modifying a part that is worth pence!!!! 

7 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

I also fitted DRO on mine(I took a chance and ordered it direct from China)a lot cheaper and works for me as I am old school(Imperial!)plus it does things that are way above my pay scale!

Chippy if your budget will stretch to it go for the WM18 size in which ever make is cheapest because as Mike says they are not that strong!

I took mine to pieces to put it on the stand and give all the bits a good clean and lube(B****y Heavy!)

This is what I would really like! and so cheap even allowing for a new motor(well perhaps a touch smaller?)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elliot-Omnimill-02-Milling-Machine-Lathe-Mill-Vertical-Horizontal-Turret/333289062330?hash=item4d99937fba:g:2eUAAOSwyElc1SY8

Roger

ps you will start making things you did not know you needed and doing ridiculas things because you can and spend hours making or modifying a part that is worth pence!!!! 

The same thing happened when i got my myford lathe, i use it all the time now.

1 hour ago, mattius said:

Been wanting a sieg x2 for a while, just can't justify it to myself.

I've got a Sieg lathe from Arc Euro Trade, its a very good bit of kit and Arc have been brilliant for support.

Yes Arc come highly recommend, its annoying because ive seen some serious mills for similar money but its just moving them (it has to go through the garage and down my garden into the workshop) its not doable on a pallet truck.

Hello Chippy

You can take them to pieces (still heavy but with a truss moveable!)

I have a myford as well but its ok for small jobs but it can not face a Spitfire Flywheel like my old big one can!

The only advise I would give is buy the biggest you can afford and accommodate 

Jobs that are difficult on small machines are easy on big ones (I can skim the drum on a 19" motorcycle wheel on my big lathe!) 1950,s built

Roger

Ah but Its the usual problem though, buy a small one, its not big enough to do a brake disk, buy one to do a brake disk and its not big enough to do a flywheel and on and on.

My view is how often will you do large work vs. small work, i was always doing small work and once in a blue moon doing large work, so small works for me.

I've seen the sieg sx3 in action and it can definitely cut through steel and probably slower than a big beast, but as a novice i appreciate that,

sieg machines are rebranded all the time, keep checking ebay for mini mill...

Small machines are still useful and fun.

I have spent the last couple of days making a new gear lever knob. A bit different as it has RF transmitter in it to operate the OD so doesn't need the cable connection. Turner Ali body with a pespex window. Fun to make :)

156546081176372320232178845852.jpg

10 hours ago, mattius said:

Ah but Its the usual problem though, buy a small one, its not big enough to do a brake disk, buy one to do a brake disk and its not big enough to do a flywheel and on and on.

My view is how often will you do large work vs. small work, i was always doing small work and once in a blue moon doing large work, so small works for me.

I've seen the sieg sx3 in action and it can definitely cut through steel and probably slower than a big beast, but as a novice i appreciate that,

sieg machines are rebranded all the time, keep checking ebay for mini mill...

Exactly, 99% of the time i will be tinkering with a bracket or a prototype part for a project. Once i have perfected the part i can send out to have it cnc copied.Any large turning i can farm out to a guy i use. Ive been looking at some great machines this week on ebay for small money but the logistics of getting them into my workshop is just not doable or put it another way i cant be arsed.

11 minutes ago, mpbarrett said:

Small machines are still useful and fun.

I have spent the last couple of days making a new gear lever knob. A bit different as it has RF transmitter in it to operate the OD so doesn't need the cable connection. Turner Ali body with a pespex window. Fun to make :)

156546081176372320232178845852.jpg

Very cool, i love it.

• 1 month later...

Well I ended up getting a stand alone Rodney, Rodney did a bolt on mill attachment for the myford but they also did a few stand alone mills unusual in that the motor is in the base which is good for c of g. It makes it look a bit light on the top end but everything feels tight and the slide ways are excellent. I pick it up Saturday so can evaluate it more then.