Not lost in France.

JohnD

But being on the pitwall, and a long wait for this session gave me the opportunity to walk down the line towards the Dunlop Curves, to pay my respects to the memorial to the 1955 disaster.   In case you aren't aware, this killed the driver Pierre Levegh and at least 85 spectators, the actual number being still in doubt.

The memorial is minute, a black marble slab, a foot or so wide, with "In Memoriam 11 Juin 1955", on the concrete wall just outside the crash fence guarding the Tribunes, opposite the pits. 

image.png.80f785d882d10fd280e51d77754824ea.png

This is where the carnage happened.   And this year, it's covered over.

A green canvas sheet covers the entire wall on the circuit side with no gap so that the memorial can be seen.  That's a shame I fear, on Le Mans and on the heritage that we celebrate at Classic Le Mans.

John

Rain last night and this morning, when it was originally forecast for tonight, but it's blown over,  the sun is out and its set fair for Les Quatres-Vignt Heures!   

It SHOULD start at 1600, but was running an hour late this morning, and we still have the "Les Little Big Mans" to go, kids in miniature replicas driving up the Start/Finish straight (pardon my vomit).   But all is ready.      Old fashioned Le Man's Start into a parade lap and then a grid start proper. The heat rises!

John

After hectic post session work in the paddock, plus cleaning, fuelling and battery charging, I'm on a break and a coffee.   Saving the Haribos for the early morning blood sugar crash!  Next session is the night one, starts about midnight, unless there are more delays.

I'll try to get some pics.

John

Edited by JohnD

MiIMG_20230702_005808.thumb.jpg.ee4e34011ef9789d93acfed057f328ed.jpgIIt's night, in fact it's midnight, and we're racing.   Two of our cars are sharing drivers, so the obligatory pitstop is a driver change too. "IN" on the pit board should stimulate them t come in next time around, and here that next time is six minutes away You can't see the cars until they either turn into the pit lane, or the Start/Finish straight. Our first driver is also leading, and here he comes.

IMG_20230702_005728.thumb.jpg.b35b484714930f99c03b62a2dd6853ae.jpg

The pit crew hammer the wheel spinners, check tyre pressures while the drivers change over while consulting.   But our second driver is just behind!    It's a two car pit stop!

IMG_20230702_005740.thumb.jpg.bbb84c69f19b47c125dab0f3b848de79.jpg

The cars must stay still for a certain time so the pit chief  and  counts down and away our new leader goes!  With crew pushing just in case of a stall.

IMG_20230702_005808.thumb.jpg.ee4e34011ef9789d93acfed057f328ed.jpg

And now we have first and second places.   The little trouble with the scrutineers, that loaded our lead driver with a two minute penalty (!) has been withdrawn and he is fair and square the Boss!

Back in the paddock, more checks and servicing. The cars approved, it's off for refuelling and the mood in the pit, now at 0300 is a bit muted.

16882593889344431642232475782976.thumb.jpg.87f363b74a17c17d646cc546cdaa13c0.jpg

Still, we can sleep tomorrow.

John

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnD said:

Our team leader and winner is a modest man but was persuaded to do this. Winner on your right (Nice trophies!)

IMG_20230702_102143.jpg

Excellent stuff John. Always love seeing that trio on the charge!

8 hours ago, Hamish said:

Well done John and Team Talbot. 
enjoy the moment.  
I hope I could go one year in the TR but it’s no way a tourer on about 20mpg.

Been twice Hamish in my 3A with its twin Weber 45's slurping fuel like a good 'un at the rate of 18mpg max and a thumping sports exhaust. Stayed off the main routes and had great drives on uncrowded French roads that suited the TR. You can do it!

Miles

Thank you all, I'm glad to be able to pass on some of my passion.

I should also thank the Crew Chief and No.1 Driver,John and Gareth for inviting me, and Dale and Reg, the professional Motorsport technicians, whose world I invade.  Their kind welcome and generous support are overwhelming.

John

PS. Not to compete with Roger's Travels the MemSahib, I'd like to tell.you what i see and find this coming week too.  Rather than scuttle back home, I'm visiting some road racing circuits, that like Rheims and Rouen have no counterpart in the UK, save some in Ulster.  Hope you enjoy those too.  J.

• Thanks 1

MoThank you, Roger for the freedom to report on hols travels - I'll keep of the castles!  And thank you, Hamish!  GO53 is indeed one of the original Talbot race team, and ours as well, but sad to say, a missed gear change blew the engine in loop practice, hence the Three Talboteers.

Now back to 'my holiday pics'.    I'm now a few kilometers short of Angouleme, after a delightful afternoon with another Triumphero and Motorsport nut, Twocam John, who invited me to lunch after Le Man's.   I was feasted by him and Anne-Marie, and after a tour of his undercroft garage of assorted cars (all running, unlike some i could mention) I had to tear myself away, but too late to make Angouleme today.   Never mind, I have all week.

France is - Ah! So French!   Popped into a Umart supermarche for tomorrow's provisions ( so well fed by TCJ and A-M that I need no supper!). Now, a few token saplings are usual in UK, supermarket car parks, usually tarmacked over after a few years as vandals destroy them.  Here, the car park is shaded by nature trees.  But what tyres are they?    They bear fruit, rasberrylike.   Good lord, they are mulberries!

IMG_20230703_182603.thumb.jpg.5ba933fbaf3b0235d96932bf28352157.jpg

IMG_20230703_182627.thumb.jpg.bf4b2b4be1c57e3d965852d4c7ab03e4.jpg

And my careful previous trip planing, The Mission Schedule, doesn't include a wild camp stopover near Angouleme.  This is Cognac country, lots of small wooded areas, but none of the large Forest found in northern France.   But a little actual searching of reality rather than virtuality had found an 'Aire du pique nique'.   Hard standing to park the van, solidly built tables, on the bank of the Charente river, there is even a tiny loo and washing up sink.   No litter, no graffiti just green grass, trees and the river.

Birds calling, some I don't recognise, butterflies abound, a soft water noise from upstream. I shall sleep well tonight - I need it after that wedkend

• Like 1

Today's mission (accepted!) is to visit the Remparts Circuit at Angouleme.  Just returned from walking the track, and posting while the details are in my head, and while get my breath back!

Two reasons, one the Citadel of Angouleme is a massive rock, overlooking the Charente river.   Like Lancaster Castle over the Line, this must have been a strong defence since the Neanderthals!   I parked on the north side of the river and climbed up the many winding paths up that face, to find and walk the track.  Which is the second reason why I'm breathless.  Whoever thought it would be a good idea to race around this circuit is mad!    It makes Monaco look like Silverstone!

You may have seen videos or even a map of the circuit, but just walking it is gobsmacking.   The start/finish line is right outside St.Peter's Cathedral to begin with, as it were.

IMG_20230704_111706.thumb.jpg.a7f1fdc1bf1973a621689deaf5701ed4.jpg

But the lead up to that is via not just one but three full 360 hairpins, one after another, as the circuit climbs the South side of the Citadel.   

IMG_20230704_111357.thumb.jpg.a43dc641d6ea2f028d96c12005c30d3c.jpg

I fear this pic doesn't do justice to how step and acute are these KO corners! And, the streets of the city are so narrow that today, with many cars parked, there is only room for one-way traffic.

You may follow the course by map, but on the ground you can tell where the corners are by iron brackets set in the pavement, which I presume support Armco barriers.  You would need iron brackets of a different sort to race here!

John