Rugby, the beautiful game!

JohnD

Tonight, the Scotland Vs France game showed why there is only one "beautiful game" and it's rugby!    Quite apart from the game itself, and the wonderful last minute try for Scotland, the sportsmanship!

Finn Russel fends off a French tackler with a forearm to the throat.  Unintentional, but dangerous, and it gets him the red card, off!   He goes, no argument, but on his way apologises to the Frenchman, and they embrace!   Truly, a game for hooligans, played by gentlemen.

John

On 3/27/2021 at 9:10 AM, RogerH said:

The same thing does happen in football but necessarily at the highest level.

I dunno Roger, I might have played in the wrong part of the country but my experience of football is that aggressive over-reactions and hostility are fairly normal. That's based on dipping in and out of 5-a-side leagues, Sunday league, and friendly 7-a-sides over the last 15 years around London. Sunday league in particular got fractious every weekend. Anything competitive, the behaviour of my own team-mates has regularly disgusted me. We even had to stop having works kick-abouts because one or two lads always had to turn it into a scrap. Shame because I love playing an actual friendly match. 

Only played rugby once at school and broke my collar bone, so no experience with that version of football!

Hi Peter,

for my sins i follow Preston north End - yes I am that fan - somebody has to do it and picked the short straw.

I mainly follow Champions league stuff and there is  seldom any nastiness. Thankfully the ref's tend to be over zealous with the cards so that may temper things a little.

the further down the leagues the better the behaviour becomes.   Rugby or footy they are the same but sadly footy is up front on the TV all the time. And it would appear that

tv editors tend to highlight the worst bits.

I played Sunday league in the 70's with a reasonable team and things were much better then

Roger

3 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

I dunno Roger, I might have played in the wrong part of the country but my experience of football is that aggressive over-reactions and hostility are fairly normal. That's based on dipping in and out of 5-a-side leagues, Sunday league, and friendly 7-a-sides over the last 15 years around London. Sunday league in particular got fractious every weekend. Anything competitive, the behaviour of my own team-mates has regularly disgusted me. We even had to stop having works kick-abouts because one or two lads always had to turn it into a scrap. Shame because I love playing an actual friendly match. 

Only played rugby once at school and broke my collar bone, so no experience with that version of football!

Used to occasionally play hockey against the “ladies” at school..... :ohmy:Ladies! Umpired by the “lady” games mistress... Much savagery......:pinch:

We made the mistake of beating them the first time we played, which meant absolutely no prisoners thereafter.

50 minutes ago, RogerH said:

the further down the leagues the better the behaviour becomes

That's a good point now I think about it, the local non-league team don't seem to suffer too much nonsense. At the level I play maybe there are a few too many frustrated wannabes who try and imitate the worst offenders they see on TV.

19 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Used to occasionally play hockey against the “ladies” at school..... :ohmy:Ladies! Umpired by the “lady” games mistress... Much savagery......:pinch:

We did the same when I was a teenager, but it turned out the boys had a different idea of "non-contact" compared to the girls and they refused to play us again :whistling:

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

We made the mistake of beating them the first time we played, which meant absolutely no prisoners thereafter.

sounds like the belles of St,TRinians

Roger

4 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Daughter, at 2ndary school, had a male games teacher who suggested that they take up Rugby.     They did, she did, and then she was asked to play for the local side, that had long had a ladies team.     I went along to watch, not having seen school games and expecting a light, passing style of rugby, more akin to netball.    She put the other centre in hospital with dislocated shoulder!   She then advanced to a Blue at college and a Cap for Scotland!   'Ladies' rugby is a formidable game!     As is hockey, whether played by ladies or men.

Edited by JohnD

6 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

it turned out the boys had a different idea of "non-contact" compared to the girls

Yeah..... similar..... except we’d been taught that hockey is a non-contact sport and the girls apparently hadn’t ...... Shin pads had a bloody good workout.

Should confess that boys hockey at this school was strictly for the soccer rejects so the talent pool was fairly shallow. I preferred it to soccer though ...... at least you got a stick to defend yourself...... Damn well needed when playing the girls!

6 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I’m my experience many years ago, mixed hockey is the most dangerous game known to man...

1 hour ago, Millstone10 said:

I’m my experience many years ago, mixed hockey is the most dangerous game known to man...

Shinty..... ice hockey....... leopard wrestling, tiger baiting..... jumping off mountains in a flying squirrel suit.....

.......but yeah, no real argument :smile:

I lived.... (obviously), but I did collect some bruises, including the imprint of the ball in the middle of my forehead......

Once broke a finger during the warm up for a hockey match. Had to play because we only had 9 players. Won the match 4-1, then cut my wedding ring off with a pair of wire cutters (wife not impressed!)  Ended my playing career after dis-locating my shoulder twice. Hockey goalkeepers are an odd bunch....

12 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I lived.... (obviously), but I did collect some bruises, including the imprint of the ball in the middle of my forehead......

That was it - Belles of St.Trinian - wasn't that one of the scenes. (or just a stick over the head - Joyce Grenfell).

Roger

Edited by RogerH