Hello Ian

I forgot to mention I do not think you can fit the full length studs to the rear hubs unless you remove the hub or drill a hole in the back plate!

I think I shortened mine very slightly then you can just about wangle them in but still have enough threads for the nuts(well there is on my Minilites type wheels)

Roger 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So thats an extra 10hp just by the application of red paint.  New stainless pistons as well.  Looking forwards to putting it all back together at the weekend.

Never really understood the apetite in the classic car market for the sex shop look, looks much better now to my eyes at least.

Hello Ian                I have examined and measured to old one and I think worked out what was wrong with it apart from being loose! As you saw all the needle roller were present but the f

Posted Images

Yeah, the thought of pulling the rear hubs off doesn't make me excited...  I need to do some careful measuring I think.

I took 6mm off the length of the front studs.  That gives me the full length of thread in the nut engaged and full insertion of the spline drive to tighten the nuts so I dont mind doing a little cutting as long as it make sense to do so.

Hello Ian 

I can not remember how much but 6mm may be enough.

I seem to remember there is one position with the brake shoes out and new studs at an angle you can just wiggle them in(I scrapped a couple until I got the right length!)

I think I have a drive shaft with the hub and brake plate attached (given to me buy Nick and I have tried to get the hub off even with heat!)) so we or you or I could play with for best length ? 

Roger

• Like 1

Hello Ian

I  had a measure of the spare shaft today

I recon the longest you can fit without removing the hubs is 42 to 43mm overall length.

The studs I have are 50mm overall.

I recon when fitted it would give you 12 to 13mm plain and 17to 18mm thread.

Which gives about 10 to 11 threads(turns of the nut.)

The old stud is 35mm overall and a new one I have is 38mm overall.

You could just drill a hole in the back plate and fit a grommet to seal the hole or borrow the hub puller?

Roger

Hi Roger, the studs I bought for the front measured in at 50mm so similar length and I took 6mm off to give the max engagement of the spline tool inside the nut.  

IMG_2924.jpg.ef42eeefe1085f621a5d5b6131077065.jpg

If I was taking 7mm or so off the studs for the back wheels that's still fine I think as its similar to the front.  The overall threaded length inside the nuts is about 24mm.

Looks good. 

There's not a huge space in the boot but enough and add in all the rest I've carried all sorts. It was our only car for eight years. 

Camping weekend for three, 

With a roll hoop and the roof down I've carried a single bed and 4.8m long tongue and groove floor boards. 

10 ft Christmas tree (in a sleeve fortunately. 

Best was probably a 5 ft x 3 ft coffee table along with purchaser of said table. On it's end vertically between us. Passenger (co-pilot) needed to provide feedback when turning right out of a junction.

:D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

There's not a huge space in the boot

It’s fair until you put the spare wheel in....  

1 hour ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Best was probably a 5 ft x 3 ft coffee table along with purchaser of said table. On it's end vertically between us. Passenger (co-pilot) needed to provide feedback when turning right out of a junction.

Nutter....:tongue:

Spit looks really good on the Cosmics RM :smile:

• Like 1

Compared to our MX5 the spitfire has a capacious boot, plus the area behind the seats. Space for camping gear for 2 when we do le mans etc.

Still scratching my head about a table though... 

In my vitesse I have moved some long lengths of 4x2 (probably 4m+), usefully perched on rollbar and screen frame. Not tried that with the spitfire (yet)

• Like 1

Zetecsit reminded me of turning a land rover into a very top heavy Land Rover.  Not sure what the weight was but it wasnt a great idea - image10.thumb.jpeg.41ecf5409950a61ef15fada7e9c83c3f.jpegvery challenging round islands but I think a coffee table in a Spitfire is an equally special effort.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Ian

Did the wheel studs fit ok?

Roger

p s  you are ready to join one of our  runs now?

Never had a chance to fit them.  Fell asleep in front of the rugby yesterday.

Needed to do a long run today to prove to myself I can still run a good distance post operation as I am supposed to be racing on the 13 March.  I am sure the event will be cancelled but I need to ensure I am ready so needs must.  Covered 10 miles today with no drama so looking good to at least get round the event without issue. 

Then having a shopping trip sprung on me and a trip to the father in laws with the purchased supplies has wrecked the day. 

Will get done during the week.

I will be ready!  Thanks for the studs, hope the wine is OK?

Hello Ian 

I remember a doctor saying when he feels the need to exercise he has a lie down! (and that has served me well up to now!) 

Roger

ps there is loads of space in a spitfire as Clive says!

We get 2 fight size suitcases in and pack the rest around and as Clive says loads of room behind the seats for tents etc!

Plus you do not need 14 pairs of socks etc for a 14 day holiday you just wash them and hang them out in a warm climate so the old one to wear one spare and one in the wash!

That is what me and the Memsahib have done for the last 10 years in Spitty and have had some fantastic holidays I could bore you to death with the photos!

DSC07405.JPG

DSC07573.JPG

DSC07585.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

in the pursuit of keeping a teeanger happy I added a hidden bluetooth amp in the boot and wired up four small speakers as apparently a sharp radio /cassette from 1976 wasnt cutting the mustard.

IMG_3092.jpg.8308d075997a3a922eb59f0c81ca71a9.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg.1cddef044eac42274ad4e1b180314427.jpg

Hidden behind the trim panel in the boot.  Works really well.  Spotify and the Spitfire are now friends...

Anything for a quiet life :) 

Hello All

I fitted a cheap amplifier which I can plug my old type phone into but I only have 2 speakers in the back

I find by the time it is loud enough to hear properly the whole world can hear it along with the twin pipe exhaust!!

So I find I do not use it much!

Roger

19 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

I fitted a cheap amplifier which I can plug my old type phone into but I only have 2 speakers in the back

I find by the time it is loud enough to hear properly the whole world can hear it along with the twin pipe exhaust!!

So I find I do not use it much!

Roger

A fair observation... I was fighting a loosing battle with a teenager.  Having a couple of additional tiny speakers in the small glovebox each side helps a little.  I need to spend a little time setting the balance of front to back but it will do for me and keeps all at home happy.

57 minutes ago, Radioactive Man said:

A fair observation... I was fighting a loosing battle with a teenager.  Having a couple of additional tiny speakers in the small glovebox each side helps a little.  I need to spend a little time setting the balance of front to back but it will do for me and keeps all at home happy.

Hello Ian 

The best thing to do is have earphones in (but illegal!) 

I did once on a club trip to Holland and was travelling on my own but nearly crashed several times while travelling at SPEED and trying to find another album on my tablet thingy !!

Roger

ps Our local garage had a couple of interesting cars in when I called in !

This is what I want to get back to !

Our local group leader has reserved some chalets at Spa for the 6 Hours so fingers crossed I can watch some good racing again at one of the Best circuit in the World!

DSC00687.JPG

• Like 1