2L Engine Build

Nick Jones

I LOVE Speedi Sleeves and have saved a lot of old machinery (including Triumphs) with them. And I'll make a note of that number for future reference. :miner:

One of the silly assed things I did for the racer was to make an aluminum front crank seal surface with a speedy sleeve to replace that Oh So heavy stock piece. Yah, I'm an anorak but the sleeves were free so why not? :teehee:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Clark,

Speedy sleeves are a sleeve of very thin steel, sized to fit snugly onto a damaged shaft such that the seal now has a nice smooth surface to run on. As lip seals are flexible they will accomodate the slight increase in shaft diameter. Normally used to cure seal leakage due to a groove being worn during service.

Alec

• 2 weeks later...

Put the cam in today - then did something I've never done before and looked down the follower bores to see where the lobes were relative the centres.

The results were surprising (to me)

New cam (Newman supplied) showed very marked offset from the centre. Most were "behind" the centre, but some were ahead and one nearly central.

Pic 1 shows a typical one, behind the centre line.

Pic 2 shows the other way, well ahead of the centre line to the extent that it looks as though it could be off the edge of the follower.

Somewhat discouraged I removed it again and stuck an old Triumph PI one in there. This shows the same effect, some ahead of the centre line, more behind, but much less so.

Pic 3 shows the same follower bore as pic 2, but with a Triumph cam

Pic 4 shows a typical one.

Should I be worried? Is this why cams and followers get chewed?

Nick

Cam lobe positions 001.jpg

Cam lobe positions 003.jpg

Cam lobe positions 005.jpg

Cam lobe positions 006.jpg

Nick

I've observed this in Triumph 4 and 6 pots and most recently a Ford pre-crossflow. Some of the 'tolerances' do seem over enthusiastic - my best guess is they're off centre to encourage the rotation of the follower and therefore reduce wear overall.

I may be being blindly optimistic however...

R

Is the oil pump's scroll centred? If it's in the right place, then the cam lobes probably are too. Unless it's a reproduction camshaft - if it is, do you have an original to compare the lobe positions?

If you have an aluminium front plate, that could be causing problems. The aluminium front plate I bought from Rimmers was thinner than the original steel plate by a millimetre or so. The result was that the camshaft sat further back in the block, and the camshaft sprockets didn't line up. I moved the camshaft retaining plate forward by putting washers of the correct thickness between the alloy plate and the retainer.

Pump drive gear looks ok for position.

It's an original steel front plate.

Cam is a Newman one. Lobe widths are 13 - 13.5mm as compared to 12mm for the OE PI/Mk2 one, which is possibly contributing to the visual effect. OE one also shows offsets, but more consistent.

Reading on the net suggests I should probably be more concerned about the ones that don't show much offset........

Also there is something odd about the groove at the front for the thrust plate. On the old cam a new thrust plate gives correct end float and free rotation through 360º. On the new cam it gives free-ish rotation for about 120º (well below book end float though) and is very stiff (barely turn by hand with the sprocket fitted) through 120º with 60º middling stiffness transition zone at either end. A used keeper plate eases the problem, but gives variable end-float dependent on position. I've checked for burrs etc run a fine file around to no effect. Presume the groove is cut at a slight angle. The spigot for centering the sprocket is on the big side too - can only pull it on with the bolts and getting it off is a struggle. Reckon the cam-grinder buys the blanks in pre-machined - quality not 100%. These last two issues are not a big deal really but irritating as it wastes alot of time trying to make it right.

Nick

Clp 010a.jpg

I had the same issue with the cam and front plate. Cam was not turning free ove the circle. I was not able to figure out why.

When I tightened the cam retaining plate cam was stiff in some positions and when loosening it the cam retaining plate it Turned free.

Martin

Edited by Martin

Hi Martin,

What you describe is exactly the same as my problem. I think one of the reasons is that the plate does not clamp down squarely due to both bolts being on the same side. One of the used plates gives evidence for this by having a wear mark only in the centre of the arc of contact.

Also, the cam groove must be either of uneven width (though I can't detect this) or not cut quite straight. It could also be that the cam is slightly bent as I also have 0.4mm run-out on the cam sprocket at it's outer edge. Two sprockets measure nearly the same so most likely the cam.

The old, OE cam I tried does not have any of these problems. Unfortunately it doesn't have all its lobes either........

Nick

Happy New Year to everybody!

I experienced once the same problem when tightening the front plate and installing the cam bush. The cam did not rotate as soon as I tightened the bush.

Problem was that I used a bit to much Hylomar gasket sealing compound between the paper gasket and the block/plate. Wellseal sealing compound on the paper gasket does the job much better.

Interesting to see that the lobe offsets of newman cams are different compared to OE cams. Newman should be informed about that issue.

Would be interesting to know what's newman's position about the problem of their blanks.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Just about the last job left was to fit the sump. However, although I never noticed any oil surge issues I still wanted to fit a baffle to it first. So I referred to several previous discussions on this very forum and concocted my own.

I started by filling the sump with the 4.54 litres of water, propping it at the same angle as it sits in the car and marking the liquid surface level.

Then some tape measure and CAD (the cereal packet type) led to an MDF former so I could beat a lip all around the horizontal plate.

Having got the horizontal plate shaped and fitted to my satisfaction (having made a left hand one first!) I then cut a strip and shaped it to try and hold the oil closer to the pump pick-up. This is firmly tacked to the horizontal baffle and sits about 10mm from the floor of the sump. I strongly suspect it is over-kill. I think the horizontal plate is probably all that is needed unless doing autotests on soft slicks.

I even remembered to make a hole for dip stick to pass through!

Some pics

Nick

gastons lane drainage 001.jpg

gastons lane drainage 003.jpg

gastons lane drainage 005.jpg

Yes, slightly concerned about the copper pipe cracking. I'll make a bracket to give it some support in the centre that'll pick up on one of the engine mount bolts. I could also put some rubber tube over it where it sits close to the block (most of the way along in fact) or even stick it to the block with silicon/Tiger Seal to damp any vibration.

Would be better as steel hydraulic tube or even Bundy but have yet to find a source for a reasonable quantity. Not sure I could bend the steel to the relevant shape anyway.....

Do you think it's likely to be a problem?

Cheers

Nick

I assumed you were going to support it from the engine mount based upon the excursion under the mount. That'll certainly help.

I'm just suspicious of copper in vibration prone areas. But then, you guys run copper brake lines all the time without failure?

Hello Steve,

"I'm just suspicious of copper in vibration prone areas. But then, you guys run copper brake lines all the time without failure?"

Yes but there is quite a difference, brake lines are fitted to the body and clipped quite securely, there is far less mass per unit length and to a structure that has little real vibration.

Personally in the above instance I would use a flexible oil line, Aeroquip or similar.

Alec

Hah..... the old primer question. Haven't had that one for a while. It is the final colour - same as the car - which also got alot of the "is that still in primer" questions when I first started driving it.

The LH version of the plate is really the upside down version of the plate as I formed the edges in the wrong direction so they point up instead of down...... Possibly more useful to those in the Southern hemisphere...... :P

Nick