Electric window motors

rogerguzzi

Hello All

I have mave a pwer drive for the X-axis on my milling machine but the motor I have is not strong enough(old battery drill one)

I was thinking about one of these as the are cheap as chips!

But I have no experiance of them.

I assume they are just brush type motors and reversing the connection makes them go up or down?

But the unit I have built does speed contol as well buy either altering the voltage or something clever with pulsing or what ever(will have to take the lid of and look!)

So do we think one of these would work? or a similar one just cheap

08' MERCEDES C63 W204 OFFSIDE RIGHT REAR ELECTRIC WINDOW MOTOR A2048200642 | eBay

Roger

ps a proper kit to fit the milling machine is £350!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Roger

I used BMW E43 front window motors when I converted my TR4A. They are mighty powerful with no anti crush built in as such. Ideal for slicing carrots.

Just two wires. Reversible and not power hungry/  If you need the drive spindle protruding further then the E46 would do this.

Ebay £10 - 20

I had to cut of the external drive gear ad remake the internal buffer. If you need to get into the gearbox just bash the lid off and remake.

Roger

Hi Roger  Part 2

Speed control.  varying the voltage is NOT a good way to do this as it knackers the torque.

Using one of the cheapo pulse moduls on ebay is better.  Constant torque with 0 -100% speedy things.

Something like this CONTROLLER  any will do it keep the AMPS above 10a @ 12V

Roger 

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Roger  Part 2

Speed control.  varying the voltage is NOT a good way to do this as it knackers the torque.

Using one of the cheapo pulse moduls on ebay is better.  Constant torque with 0 -100% speedy things.

Something like this CONTROLLER  any will do it keep the AMPS above 10a @ 12V

Roger 

Hello Roger

I think I have something like that in the control box I made with a centre off switch so left and right with a knob for speed control

is this the one?

bmw e46 320d touring n/s/f passengers side front electric window motor | eBay

Roger

Hello Roger

I think I will push the boat out and go for that one (bread and dripping for the next week!)

The stupid thing is I could afford the made to measure job but we do not do that do we unless there is NO alterative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why we mess with old cars?

I found a couple of Velocette (motorcyle) bearings that I have and will never use that retail at £350!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But we were raise in an age of make do and mend (it's a bugger at times when for a few £'ss you could save hours!)

But no fun in that is there?

Roger

Hello All 

The window motor arrived today I was suprised how small it is I was thinking wiper motor size?

It is just 2 pin as Roger H says so does left and right buy just reversing the connections.

Now I have work out how to fit it as the gear on the outside is all one piece with the inside (I have a big biscuit tin full of gears and toothed belts from my NCR ATM repair days (they were just like a big Meccarno set of gears and belts!)

But unfortunatly they are the wrong tooth form!!!

So I think I will make a sleeve to fit over the gear and maybe glue or pin it over the Motor gear with a shaft to fit the NCR ones which would give me a few gearing options!

Roger

Hi Roger,

I was faced with the same problem - the attached gear was of no use. So I used an angle grinder to cut it off but leave the spindle untouched.

The spindle is fixed so you need to break inside the worm drive gearbox and somehow attach your gear to the internal buffer.

I made a new buffer such that the new gears could attach to.

The first pic shows the buffer insitu (on the left) and removed. The second and third pic shows the new buffer with the three legs

The new buffer is quite easy to knock up on the mill.

Roger

DSC_5248a.jpg

DSC_5286a.jpg

DSC_5288a.jpg

Hello All

Well I have spent to much time modifying the motor with a new belt pulley  and mounting it and lining it up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

BUT !!!!! when I came to test it it does not have enough power speed is ok not at highest speed will not do without light hand assitance is about 3.25" (85mm) in a minute

But the motor is getting warm and seems to slow down (Bugger Bugger)

The proper made job is looking more attractive by the minute?

Roger

ps selling those bearings is looking good? plus I hate to think what a complete cam box with cam and bevel gears would fetch or a pair of unused bevel gears? or a complete gearbox etc

DSC03009.JPG

DSC03012.JPG

DSC03013.JPG

Hello All

Its no good I could not click the buy button with any finger and I tried them all!

So back to the drawing board (or bum scratching!)

So had another look on Fleabay and found these type (I have 24 volt in the garage from the battery bank and the controller is I think 6 to 36 volt!)

So how about one of these ?it looks like the pullety is held on by a circlip so easy to change for ones I have(thanks Olivetti and Barclays Bank !)

Electric E Scooter Motor 24 Volt 120 Watt Model ZYT6832 (used) | eBay

I will be to about £20 on this project this is gettig serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the proper kit !

Warco WM 18 Milling Machine Power Feed

Roger

ps does 100/120 watts sound enough?

21 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

ps does 100/120 watts sound enough?

You could be slightly scientific about it and measure the torque required (spring balance and measured rod).  Then if you know the max rpm you want you can work out the power required.  If you want it to power when cutting you'll need to measure that.  Then add a safety factor......

I'd like one on mine too - but on X & Y axis. And stepper motors - controlled by computer.....  CAD CAM.....

Hello Nick

At this rate I might just keep winding the handle!

I have DRO which I took a punt on and bought from China and it works perfectly and I think it has bits that could do other things!

but great for basics(ie getting back to the same place within a gnats! so backlash does not matter!

It has allsorts of programs for circles and loads other other things that are beyond me(seat of the parts engineer!)

I may just put the handwheel back on and do it manually I would still be watching just in case! and it is only one offs!

Roger

Hello Nick

This is the one I fitted to the milling machine (I took a punt on a chinse supplied one I think less than half UK price and it is still working 2+ years later)

I fitted this type to my Chinese made lathe and they work well and are much cheaper the main reason was all the dials on the lathe are metric and I am Imperial!!

Roger

DSC03017.JPG

DSC03018.JPG