My TR4 Rebuild is now running

Hi folks,

my 3 month TR4 rebuild that I started in Feb 2010 is now effectively finished. (just 10 years late)

On Sunday I took here for a 5 mile run and all was pretty.  The mixture was seriously rich and the brakes were not impressive.

I took her out again yesterday for a 10 mile run having weakened the mixture and she ran much much better. The brakes also improved with each application.

I backed the rear brakes off one click as they were binding slightly.   I did a much shorter run in the early evening and it felt very good.

Will take her put later this morning having weakened the carbs a touch more. 

Compared to my TR4A she is so much more solid. The doors do not rattle etc.

Don't like the thin rimmed huge steering wheel

Roger

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

as a round up on the brakes - A few days after starting this thread I eventually found the problem with the rear brakes - the off side rear wheel was getting hot

Sadly not before tearing the whole car to pieces (not quite)

Because I am stupid I started to look at the brake slave cylinders - the near side cylinder was seized on the back plate - I sorted this but not after lots of rude words.

I broke the brake pipe line down (starting at the front)  to see where fluid was flowing (or not in my case)

I eventually homed in on the offside flexible pipe. Everybody knows that if the brakes don't work then look at the flexible pipe - well I did (eventually)

Indeed the flex pipe as well knackered (and it is only 59 years old.

I replaced all 4 flex pipes in time for the re-booked (three times) MOT and all was well.

• Like 1

Just to add to the drivel above - there are 3 flexible pipes - 2 at the front and 1 at the back for the live axle. It was this rear one that was duff.

It was the rear near side wheel that was getting hot - hence me concentrating on the near side slave cylinder (ooops).

Roger

Congratulations on getting your TR back on the road. All that perseverance paid off. 

My presumed easy fix to my Vitesse door catching the tread plate, led to a chassis up restoration.  Only took about 14 years, never really ends though. All good fun.