Current thinking on fluids etc.

After about 6ish years I'm finally in a position to get my spitfire back on the road.  It's a mk4 with a 1500 engine in it.  I was wondering what the current view on fluids is.  In the past I've used the halfords own brand 20W50 classic car oil that came in a tin, and standard classic safe coolant.  The idea being that I did very low miles and replace annually.  Is this still (was it ever?) the sensible, or are there better things people now recommend?  I figure changing fairly regularly covers many sins, but I understand the 1500 can get the oil rather hot in places.

p.s. I'm extremely happy to see members of the forum are still doing amazing things with these cars!

Welcome back :smile:

Use a decent quality 20/50 and change yearly works for me.  Halfords classic oil (made by Comma iirc) is ok or have a look at the Classic Oils website as they do a reasonably priced one with good zinc levels.

Whether you need to aim higher depends a bit on how you aim to use the car and whether you have overdrive.  As you mention, the 1500 can be tough on its oil - higher speed cruising, especially without OD can get things warm.  Valvoline VR1 is a decent step up.

Thanks Nick,

I do have an overdrive so can keep the revs under control.  Other than a refresh of the bushes and a set of stiffer, lower springs, it's as stock as a car of it's age can be expected.  The classic oils website does look rather helpful.

In terms of how it'll get used, I'm currently being pressured (very gently) by my brother to take it to a track day at the bedford autodrome.  He's recently acquired a VX220 and has got the bug.  There's probably a year of shakedown before I'm content that it'll behave on a track.  I'm also concerned that my spitfire would be bordering on dangerously slow, but I don't really have a handle on how fast a spitfire actually is compared to something like a stock mx5.

Track day..... yeah. That’ll test your oil.....

On Tuesday my oil temperature was going from 70C to 120C in slightly less than a 15minute session....... Conditions were cool. I have had temperatures of 135 + on warmer days.

Even the slowest MX5 (MK1 1.6) is somewhat quicker than a stock 1500 Spit..... as for a VX220......!

I've owned a few 1500 Spitfire's, still have a mk3. I've driven a standard mk1 1.6 eunos (mx5) as my daily for the past seven years. It would leave a standard Spitfire in its dust, no question.  But I have vivid memories of Paul Lucas embarrassing Aston Martin's at Brands in his tuned Mk3 Spitfire 1300, barely being reeled in on the straight. Eddie wilkings, Kevin Ginger all had very quick Spitfire's, and could live with a lot more modern powerful machinery, and leave a lot behind in the wet. They were all excellent fast drivers, with well set up cars, which probably cost a fortune to build. These were dedicated track cars, so a different animal, than the inevitable  limitations of a  mainly road going car. A Spitfire does have a lot of potential. 

I am not a great fan of VR1. It is better than the std quality 20/50, but changing again to millers CSS20/60 proved a leap forward. It just held oil pressure better, and didn't degrade nearly as fast.

I would be very tempted by a good quality synthetic 10-60 oil, some have good levels of zddp too. I think Roger is using one?

And yes, trackdays are brutal on oils. 

Finally.... the recommendation of an oil cooler on the 1500 is not baseless. Certainly helps, the 1500 seems to be the engine that is hardest on oil.

This is all excellent information so I take it that with , an oil cooler, some good tyres and pads and god-like driving skills then I should be good :laugh:

Unfortunately I'm at a point in life where spitfire is low on the financial priorities, so I'll have to triage the improvements even more than I'd like.  The rear suspension is the next thing I have bits for.  Waiting on my dad to get his workshop back running to make some UHMWPE buttons for the rear leaf then an overhaul of the back end can commence.

Setting my sights on an ebay oil cooler seems to be sensible too.

edit: gearbox and diff oil replacement seems prudent. Is any old 80W90 gl4 ok?

Edited by egret

Hello Egret

This is the oil I now use it is a bit more expensive but still cheaper than engines!

This was the best price I could find!

I have an oil cooler with a thermostat (80deg) and now with my new oil temperature gauge it sits at a shade under 90 deg the same as the water temperature gauge (Both new so I assume the calibration is correct? and it is the same gauge just a different face!)

I have about 75 psi at start up and about 50 psi at 1000 RPM when warm.

5ltr Mobil 1 10w60 Engine Oil | RAC Shop

Roger

3 hours ago, egret said:

edit: gearbox and diff oil replacement seems prudent. Is any old 80W90 gl4 ok?

Hello 

Myself and Nick like the Redline gear oil It stays the same colour not going black like ordinary gear oils again more expensive but have you seen the price of a new differential?

Red Line Synthetic Oil. Heavy ShockProof® (redlineoil.com)

Roger