Long term layup advice

Hi folks

My dads old Daimler sp250 hasn’t turned a wheel since 2018. Last used when I took him out on a swan song drive couple month before he died.  It is in a garage and has a cover that has been used for decades. 
it has been started a few times since and is up on axle stands and park brake off. Wheels turned periodically to move disc/pad position. The chrome has had a couple of wd40 applications. As has the under bonnet electrics.

I think points replaced with electronic accuspark type ?

it has all the fluids in it, little if no fuel now. 

battery on a conditioner charger ( or should be)

I will have an hour or so spare this weekend whilst visiting my mum 250 miles away to fettle. 

is there anything critical I should do for the next unknown period of “neglect”

I was thinking chocking the clutch pedal down

may be oil down the bores ?? ( if so how much??)

As I say priority is seeing mum, now visits permitted and not car work so simple but effective is the order of the day.

thanks

H

An engine is under maximum wear stress on starting, before lubrication established.   So starting every few weeks months probably not a good idea.   Can you turn it over on a starting handle, or by a crank nose bolt?    Take out plugs to do so, add a squirt of oil and replace.

Rubber deteriorates without use, so something to protect such parts? WD40??   

For a well upholstered cat like that the seats and interior trim need protection, from mice and damp.   Polish and a cat!

John

I would be taking the plugs out, and spinning the engine over. Then put some oil (few squirts from an oilcan) down each bore. Replace plugs. Would give you a chance to operate the clutch too, hopefully all is well there. Personally not keen on wedging clutches down, as a stuck clutch usually releases OK with a little effort, but damaged hydraulics (assume hydraulic clutch, think the box is similar to the Triumph big saloon?) or cover are more involved.

Otherwise, yes, a squirt of something over hoses, chrome etc all good ideas. Operate brakes, lubricate joints/hinges etc. 

I am wondering if using something like chain lube down the bores may be a good idea, as it clings well, but is pretty liquid when first sprayed. Just an idle thought...

You seem to be doing the right things and I agree with the other suggestions/advice.

What to do about fuel is a tricky one. An empty tank attracts condensation and rust. A full one, preferably with ethanol free fuel and a suitable preserving additive might be preferable, but depends on storage duration.....

What are the long term plans for the car?

An SP250 has a 55L fuel tank.  That's a big investment in fuel to lock away!  As well as a risk if a leak develops.

Could you lower a bag of dessicant into an empty tank to keep it dry?   On a string or wire, so that you can replace it regularly?

A car like this, worth well towards six figures, may merit a significant investment if it faces long term storage.     The "CarCoon" or similar offers dry, warm storage that excludes pests and rodents.    At about £500, they may be well worth the money! https://www.demon-tweeks.com/carcoon-evo-indoor-car-storage-system-525094/?sku=CAREI5BLK&istCompanyId=a2904180-3a7d-4e56-b876-cf81c9512180&istFeedId=6fbc4b04-fd28-4ce1-8513-835c8f118690&istItemId=wptimlqpq&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkZiFBhD9ARIsAGxFX8CNpEuVj8eBKnAhms2rG-6wzUXZPEMR0DKgDoGVWzxcWN7pCTEK6q8aAj1DEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds    No connection etc.etc.

John

I am tempted to drain fuel. 
I think there is greater risk of fuel based condensation ethanol hygroscopic effect and the fuel going off and becoming like a hard lacquer 

I think mum is paying for a small dehumidifier elec but always has !! It drains to outside.

it’s certainly not a 6 figure car   May be tr5 type money as it was a well used car, dad was a user not a polisher ! And it was used for simple road rallying by PO so not concours paint.

Ok, maybe I overestimated value, but the Autoexpress article values ,SP250s as £12K project, £25K 'presentable'.      If I had a car like that, which needed long term storage, I'd certainly consider the cost of a Cartoon as a viable investment!   £100 a year over five?   Well worth it.

Tangentially on the subject of the Carcoon, there was an upsetting news story 2-3 years ago about a chap who drove his classic Merc into one and was quickly overcome by carbon monoxide. His wife tried to get him out and she also succumbed. 

... just found the story - it doesn't use the 'carcoon' name so I might be mistaken. Similar thing though https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/01/couple-died-trying-reverse-mercedes-plastic-bag-9083184/

Miles it should be ideal for Devon lots of boat builders and repairers down here.

there are signs that the paint has disagreed with the fibreglass which is sad. But it was used as a rally car so reliable use over aesthetics was always the order of the day

It was a nice day in Devon yesterday. 

today is wet and windy. 

but soooo good to see my mum. 

sp250 was spun over without plugs there are 8 of them it’s like having 2 engines !!

oil pressure to 50lb and I hope distributed about the place now.

then oil down the bores.

I need to consider the carcoon.

one front wheel needed some persuasion to turn all others good. 

thanks everyone

2DA714F7-1268-4B98-A5B4-66321F9C6CD1.jpeg

On 5/21/2021 at 10:25 AM, PeteStupps said:

Tangentially on the subject of the Carcoon, there was an upsetting news story 2-3 years ago about a chap who drove his classic Merc into one and was quickly overcome by carbon monoxide. His wife tried to get him out and she also succumbed. 

... just found the story - it doesn't use the 'carcoon' name so I might be mistaken. Similar thing though https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/01/couple-died-trying-reverse-mercedes-plastic-bag-9083184/

I can't read that article, as they don't like my ad-blocker!    An urban myth, surely?     This video shows the correct procedure and warns against running the car inside a closed carcoon.     You drive the car in through a wide open back door, with the sides open and the 'coon supported on a frame, get out and  close the 'coon.    Foolproof save for the better class  of fool.     

Anyway, CO poisoning doesn't work so quickly.   It occurs because the CO binds tightly to haemoglobin, so it cannot transport Oxygen to the tissues.     You feel ill, with headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion, it doesn't knock you over instantly.    

Cellars can fill with CO and CO2, as  they are heavier than air, so that someone going down into that would pass out from hypoxia (lack of O2) but even if someone were to fill the 'coon with CO and deplete the O2, by running the engine inside, then the engine would stop.      As soon as someone opened the 'coon the CO would spill out at floor level and O2 in air rush in at head height, so that if they went in they would be fine.

In Italy, the "Cave of Dogs" is semilethal for canines, as CO2 leaks out of the floor, but humans are fine, as long as they don't bend down!

John

PS  This was the subject of an inquest in Cumbria, so no myth, but I note from another report, that "The retired lorry driver attempted to reverse it into the bag with the help of Mrs Workman while in their garage located below road level at the bottom of a slope and attached to the house next door."    Exactly the situation I sketched, a space below ground, with no ventilation, like a cave, and no doubt the engine was running for some time >> accumulation of CO and depletion of O2.

Edited by JohnD

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

An urban myth, surely?

Don't shoot the messenger! I read about it on the BBC at the time I reckon, but could only find the Metro link. Anyway nice to have the science, i'll worry less about dying when I run the car in the garage for 10 minutes with the door open

If your car is facing away from the door, and you can leave a second door open, no probs.

CO poisoning is more cumulative that sudden,   it takes a very long time for the heamoglobin to lose it again.    There have been many tragedies, mainly with gas heaters and sealed rooms in cold weather.     As many as 60 people a year (!!!) die in the UK alone:  See https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/carbon-monoxide-poisoning/#:~:text=Every year there are around,your body) to form carboxyhaemoglobin.