The rebuild that goes one step foward two back!

michaeljf

This does look like a project in its own right! And an interesting one.

Not sure there is a direct European equivalent to the Commodore. Possibly the Vauxhall/Opel Omega or the earlier Carlton. I’d be curious to see a few pics of the diff for comparison.

Is this a known path in Oz? I’ve see the  Japanese R200 used in the US (Goodparts) and also BMW, but not this?

Hello Nick, Will see how I go at starting a new thread for this part of the rebuild. The Commodore started out as an Opal. No as far as I know it's a first. My son is using the same set up for his Datsun 1600 rally car (with Datsun 4x4 front diff),his suggestion to use it on the Triumph. Regards, Michael.

• 1 month later...

Hello all, We are in "lock down" at present. The Commodore drive shafts won't work (2mm to large diameter in cv) so have gone for Nissan Silvia but because of "lock down" can't get all the parts and some of the machining at the moment. Have a small parcel from Rimmers just arrived with some diff seals,keys,rear brake bits and an oil filter adaptor so will be able to get back on to the front part of the car....when we get out of "lock down". The first two pictures are the two Nissan hubs/bearing carriers and Triumph hub and backing plate,the third is the Triumph hub (broken ,one of twins). Regards,Michael.

P9050301.JPG

P9050303.JPG

P9050304.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I have pulled the "diff axles" and found out why they have different part numbers!  Also one needs a complete replacement, it become loose on it's keyway and worn the axle and the flange. I have a MK 2  2.5 P.I. diff that I will use a "set" from, just have to get them apart (my mates 20 ton press isn't interested) and put the new seal and keyway in. Regards, Michael. 

Hello all, Can relate to the big bang. Going to run the Covid gauntlet and go to the mates place (other side of town) with the 2.5 ones (he has been trying one of the TR ones ) and see if we have any better luck with them. The reason for the different part no's is that they are different lengths! one is 73mm r h 95mm l h  from the bearing face to the end of axle shaft. And all this for a seal. Regards, Michael.

Hello, Well we got the big bang a blood. BIG bang (from the TR one and two little ones from the 2.5PI ones) all for the sake of a couple of seals. The sedan ones may have been OK....but that close so replace them anyway and will use those two in the TR. Have pictures but am still thinking about a separate thread for the drive shafts. Regards, Michael.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Well finally back to the motor end. Have the motor back in AND the engine mounts done up! Now have to make some gearbox mount brackets and shorten the tail-shaft. Have taken some photos of the motor with the done up engine mounts but have to work out how to shift them from there to here. Regards, Michael.

Hello, Well to fit the "spin" on oil filter and housing I have to move the clutch slave cylinder!  Starter motor on,Slave cyl. on (then move to fit spin on filter) Radiator and hoses on, Alternator on. And finding some misplaced nuts and bolts (as it has been quite a while). Cut the tailshaft to shorten (as I have moved the motor back "about" 40 mm.and down äbout" 15mm. ) More soon. Regards, Michael. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, The $320 was for the welding, I did the bushes. Yes it is nice welding. First picture is of the second g/box mount (not very clear).  modified mount (it is in a US spec. 4speed non OD car) now fitted with a sedan J type o.d. box and mount plus the motor/gearbox have been moved back 40mm and down 10mm. The second photo is of the new oil filter and it's very close (not very noticeable in the photo) association with the clutch slave cylinder. (have to move the slave cylinder to remove the oil filter!) The oil filter adaptor is fitted because of the rearwood move of the motor. Regards, Michael.             

PB040358.JPG

PB020352.JPG

I have the same adapter on Vitesse and GT6 where the chassis prevents the filter pointing downwards. They both have the filter roughly horizontal, even slightly upwards on the Vitesse. Works fine so long as a filter with non-return flap is used. In your case, anything with the filter pointed mostly down wards and missing all obstructions will be fine.