Wideband AFR Questions

Hi all

Looking at getting a wideband AFR sensor and Gauge for the Vitesse which is on carbs. Long term I intend to fit fuel injection and megasquirt. 

Got a feeling the engine maybe running a bit lean further up the rev range, although overall,  plugs look to be burning OK, I have been using colour tune.

Couple of questions.

Do you think an AFR is worthwhile fitting on a car running carbs?

Thinking either Innovate or AEM, any preferences?

What I can't work out is how the sensor communicates to an ECU when fitted. Looking at a AEM gauge,  the sensor and power supply connects to the back of the gauge but I can't see any other inputs/outputs a megasquirt could connect to. 

Thanks

Mark

on the AEM one there is an analogue signal from the multi pin connector on the back of the gauge, this can be feed into a Megasquirt board. This is what I have on my Herald.
Beware that you can scale the output range by changing a small DIL switch on the back of the gauge. The manual shows the different ranges and you can calibrate the Megasquirt to suit the signal range.
When the AEM gauge is switched on it displays Pn for a few seconds this is the selected output range set by the DIL switches.

If you do connect it to a ECU its worth checking on the ECU that it showing the same reading as the gauge, easy to get the calibration wrong.... you can guess why I suggest doing this ;).
I assume all the AEM have this feature but I can check later what model I am using.

yes I think it is worth having I used mine on the Herald when it was on SU's and used one on a TR6 with PI.

Only used a AEM and it just works don't know about Innovate.

Mike

Wideband is a useful tuning tool.  Possibly slightly frustrating on carbs as much harder to make changes.

I only have experience of Innovate (LC-1) which has worked fine for me.

The LC-1 (now obsolete and replaced by the LC-2 I think) has two analogue outputs.  One can be connected to a dash display and the other to an analogue input on the ECU.  You don't have to use both if you don't want to. It also has an RS232 connection for laptop connection which can be used for configuration or (fairly limited) data logging.

Hello Mark

I went for this one after the first cheap one started playing up!

It  has been on the car for 12 months and about 4500 miles and it seems accurate and sensitive 

https://www.fuelperformance.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=343_373_826&product_id=4886

Roger

ps at the end of the day you get what you pay for!

Mark

I fitted my Spitfire with PLX  Wide-band O2 sensor system with the same future expectations to use with fuel injection.

PLX is inexpensive system that has multiple sending units that gang together and connect to one Multi-output gauge.The gauge however has been constantly loosing data feeds and not displaying correctly, the secondary connections to my micro-squirt spot on with no issues!

I'm running a vintage Weber DCOE carb for now, planning to switch out for throttle body later.

The O2 sensor has been a great help with tuning the carb and watching the overall performance as i switched to EDIS ignition, map sensor, throttle position, temperature sensing.

With the Micro-squirt you need some type of intermediate system to feed the ECU since it can not handle Wide-band directly, i believe this is also the case with most of the mega-squirt platforms!

I have purchased an Innovate AFR gauge and controller to try next, tired of PLX gauge never working correctly.

Also looking at new Multi gauges hitting the market that display from Micro-Squirt/Mega-Squirt ECU Can-bus connection. If any one on this forum has tried one please let me know how it works!

Andy

I have the AEM with Bosch sensor on my TR2.

I made two mistakes.

1. I connected it so that it came on with the ignition before the engine started. The problem is that the sensor is very sensitive to thermal shock and starting a cold engine can cause small droplets of condensation to hit the sensor and damage it. The sensor failed so I replaced it and fitted a manual switch on the dash so that I could switch it on after the engine warmed up.

2. I welded the 18mm metric fine boss into the exhaust pipe slightly lower than the centre line (I should have removed the tubular manifold to get better access)  which allows any droplets of condensation to find their way into the sensor. 

Otherwise I have found it very helpful in setting up the twin HIF6 carbs. which I have fitted together with the later longer TR inlet manifold.

Regards, Colin

Since this thread is recent I thought I would just add on with recent question on Wideband systems!

As stated previously I was using a PLX O2 Wide band system but was unhappy with system stability.

Just completed wiring Innovate LC-2 controller (with gauge) and find the gauge reading is not matching output to micro-squirt, It's a full point off on AFR (i.e 14.5 on innovate gauge is 15.5 in tuner studio on the micro-squirt).

LC-2 default settings are 1-5 volt wide band on output 1, and narrow band on output 2. At start of project I re-programmed output 2 for same settings as output 1, I then programmed in matching values in Tuner studio and downloaded to micro-squirt.

After seeing the difference between systems I then switched/flipped the output wiring and the result was the same, so both outputs are putting out the same signal. 

My old PLX O2 system when working, the gauge reading exactly matched tuner studio micro-squirt display with no difference.

Wondering if the folks using Innovate have seen the same problem or have had no issues..

Andy

• 2 months later...

A few points to consider. 

1, don't get silcone on the sensor it will kill it so for example if you used a high temp silicone sealant on the exhaust upstream of the sensor that would kill it. Ask me how i know.

2 if you are using Megasquirt chose a gauge on the drop down list of supported gauges, saves doing manual calibrations.

3 make sure it has a 0-5v output to hoook up to the ecu.