Life changes

TR5tar

There is something of the survivalist about those pictures, Nick.  As a namby-pamby pen-pushing office dweller, I have nothing but profound respect.  Is there a dead bear just out of shot?

However, being a minimalist by necessity (TR lives in a communal secure basement car park with no work- or storage space), I have discovered the magical - supernatural, even - quality of swearing.  I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders just before Christmas without a ramp or jacking the car up, all by the power of obscenities in three languages.

Paul

1 hour ago, PaulAA said:

Is there a dead bear just out of shot?

No mate, we ate the last of those years ago..... possibly a rabbit or two :tongue:

1 hour ago, PaulAA said:

There is something of the survivalist about those pictures, Nick

Have to agree that the back of the car port is not the most polished part of the estate, and "The Dog" is not one to carry on developing a product once basic function has been achieved, though he is improving in this respect.  He's also not one for tidying up until absolutely necessary (and his definition of necessary is way down the track from mine!); I'd like to think his training was coming on in that respect too, but the state of the garage on his return to Uni proves otherwise.....

I'm envious of the ability to swear in three languages.  Though I still have a few stray African swear words from my youth they don't really seem to work on machinery.....

Nick

It is no claim to fame that I swear heartily in six languages, but, through trial and error, I have discovered that there is little or no mechanical benefit to swearing in Welsh (too obscure), Russian (too lyrical) or Czech (too bloody difficult to summon a truly guttural invective at short notice).

Paul

Before anyone takes the opportunity to demonstrate, I'll draw a discreet veil over this descent into scatology, however envious of a polyglot ability to be obscene.    Fire-resistant overalls are prefectly adequate, IMHO, for welding, as if they won't catch fire the worst that can happen is a sore spot on the skin where a 'spark' got through.    But equally, what is the worst that can happen if you drop a heavy weight on your foot?    Toe-tection essential, Nick!  Wellies?  No protection at all!   As well as being like a black hole for attracting sparks or embers.

Chris, "Plenty of 'Safety Clogs' on the market.  Google is your friend"   Those aren't "clogs"!  They're plastic and rubber, like Crocs with a steel toe cap!     Proper clogs, PROPER clogs, have a rigid wooden sole, with at worst a Vibram rubber undersole and at best 'irons', so you can draw sparks from the floor.     And agony from your opponents.

Image result for The cloggies

John (channeling Josiah Arkwright)

Edited by JohnD

I think those must be machine made clogs, Menno.  here's a man making Dutch clogs by hand:

But Lancashire clogs have a wooden sole and a leather upper, often with laces.  Trefor Owen has a Welsh name but a Lancashire accent, and makes proper Lancs clogs!

The bit of brass at the toe (a 'tin') is only to protect the toe of the sole and leather when kneeling on a hardfloor.  It's not a proper steelie, and that's why it's so hard to find a steel toed clog.

John

Edited by JohnD

Yeah, yeah, not my feet, I do my forge work in flip-flops......................... :whistling: (joke!).

Dunno why wellies, he's got a pair of proper rigger boots with steel toecaps and a couple of pairs of lace-up safety boots.  At least they are not my wellies in that pic getting puncture wounds and burn holes..... 

Nick

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

But Lancashire clogs have a wooden sole and a leather upper, often with laces.  Trefor Owen has a Welsh name but a Lancashire accent, and makes proper Lancs clogs!

Impressive, but, just as he is using a sewing machine (albeit hand powered) I think just a bit more modern technology like  a saw might speed up the sole production, a couple of hours is a big chunk of time on every pair!

42 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Dunno why wellies, he's got a pair of proper rigger boots with steel toecaps and a couple of pairs of lace-up safety boots.

Currently running steel toecap wellies by Dunlop, they are even neoprene lined!   Will see if they outlast my normal record for wellies which is about 6 months, doesn't matter what make, how expensive I seem to go though wellies like a formula 1 car goes through tyres!

Alan

Indeed, machine-made. I didn't mention this in my previous posting. The machine is steam-driven! A very, very wealthy person in the village has donated a large sum of money to have the original steam-mill restored. In the shop are a clog-maker and a carpenter. Once a month there's a free tour for visitors.

The man I mentioned has done more things like this. He was used wearing a certain brand of shoes. When the (Czech) company went belly-up, he bought the complete factory and turned into a company that makes money again - and he can still wear his favourite shoes. 

BTW: his daily driver... went to Mongolia in the Roller back in 2012

22985_r_660_358.jpg

The pleasure a welding while wearing shorts and  wellies with no socks is one that many must do at least once or twice or thrice, I dont know what the one for four is.

And please dont wear nylon overalls when welding.

As for angle grinders get one with a press switch not a lock on switch, its rather obvious why once the grinder has done a few laps of your jumper.

Adrian

10 hours ago, ahebron said:

wearing shorts and  wellies with no socks is one that many must do at least once or twice or thrice

do the "spatter dance" :biggrin:

10 hours ago, ahebron said:

its rather obvious why once the grinder has done a few laps of your jumper

oh yeah....... :pinch:

Interesting thread Darren, I also really enjoy metal work, one very big concern with all welding, cutting and grinding is not only the PPE its the mess it creates. Grinding dust gets everywhere and loves to attach itself to a good paint finish,  the colour then changes as the dust oxidises in our damp climate. I have just about completed the welding work on a TR6 my next job is to deep clean the workshop, such a mess.

A purpose built shed would be highly recommended.

Paul