PeterC

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, TR5tar said:

I'm cautious about making any statements here, as no doubt it would be used against me. However, always happy to chat privately, so if anyone wants to hear more, then please feel free to PM me and I'll give you my email address and phone number.

Nice to see you back on-line if only here now, I'd be 100% certain the TRR BOD don;t have access to any PM's here.

Give it a couple of days and if you aren't back on-line on the TRR forum I think there will be a massive uproar there.

Keep your Powder Dry! and hope everything works out the way it should eventually.

Alan

17 minutes ago, tr4tom said:

Nope, not on the TR Register forum. No one has access to the pm's apart from the ones sending etc....

I certainly wouldn't guarantee that, as when they do a database back up which they will be doing daily "absolutely everything" will be copied PM's as well. So if someone wants t really know if anything has been said its easy peasy! even if not to a mere mortal administrator!

Alan

5 minutes ago, oldtuckunder said:

I certainly wouldn't guarantee that, as when they do a database back up which they will be doing daily "absolutely everything" will be copied PM's as well. So if someone wants t really know if anything has been said its easy peasy! even if not to a mere mortal administrator!

Alan

Hahahahahahahaha

As said, no one other than the creators can read pm's on there... I'm not a liar thanks....

Hi 

Sorry not suggesting you are in anyway, but unless they are encrypted (which I know they are not) they are not transient as in sent and received and not stored on the TRR server (which they have to be because I can pick them up multiple times from different devices) then if required they can be extracted from any back-up, unless you are telling me that it isn't backed up, in which case heads should roll!

Really Really not trying to be argumentative!  And yes highly unlikely that anyone on the BOD would have the capability, but they could ask someone!

Alan

He's not saying that they do...... only that it's technically possible.

Unfortunately some of the recent actions of the board (or some of them) make it a bit too easy to imagine that they might want that kind of control - even for the only slightly paranoid...........

They definitely can't read the PMs on here though!

Nick

50 minutes ago, tr4tom said:

Hahahahahahahaha

As said, no one other than the creators can read pm's on there... I'm not a liar thanks....

Is this really necessary?

Alan's point is entirely valid (and, as Nick underlines, technically possible) and is no more than a timely reminder to be cautious.

1 minute ago, PaulAA said:

Is this really necessary?

Alan's point is entirely valid (and, as Nick underlines, technically possible) and is no more than a timely reminder to be cautious.

It's as necessary as the posts saying the pm's can be read.

Thanks all. As always, your support for me (and more importantly, for fair play) is greatly appreciated. 

I would like to say that, from what I've heard, all of the TRR forum moderators have been very fair minded throughout. That is very reassuring. You say that I'm "very passionate about the marque" Tom. I'd like to think so, but unfortunately with that passion comes the urge to speak up when I think that something isn't right. That's who I am. I could play politics and genteel games, but that's not me. 

Anyhow, on the subject of who, other then the originator and recipient, can read PMs on a forum, it might be that both Alan and Tom are correct. I've no doubt that moderators cannot read PMs, but I believe it would be technically possible for someone with higher levels of access to do so. Whether or not it ever happens I don't know.  I would hope not. Anyhow, I'm going to try a bit of moderation myself here and say please don't argue over it. I can promise you that there really are far more important things to worry about in the world. 

Best wishes to all,

Darren  

If you have access to the database, unless the PM system has been encrypted, the sysadmin can normally see what’s being sent. 

Some forum software has patches that give lower level direct access to PMs.

do not assume PMs are private, they may well be, but it’s not guaranteed. 

28 minutes ago, tr4tom said:

Oh my lord, this is just comical... Didn't realise this was a school playground.

You seem not to have grasped the terms of engagement in the Ranting Area.  If you make a categorical statement, which is patently not watertight, and accompany it with a basic grammatical error, you are up for a dousing.

6 minutes ago, PaulAA said:

You seem not to have grasped the terms of engagement in the Ranting Area.  If you make a categorical statement, which is patently not watertight, and accompany it with a basic grammatical error, you are up for a dousing.

Has just made my evening :)

I'm sure anyone that has been following this saga on the Forum will be appalled at the arrogance and bullying by several members of the BoD, combined with a lack of moral fibre and and dereliction of duty by the remainder in not standing up to them.   I have met Darren Cummings several times at AGMs and GL Meetings as well as having discussions with him on the Forum and by email.  Despite being a relative newcomer to TRs and the TRR, he is just what is needed on the BoD, being younger, competent and with plenty of fresh ideas.   I offered earlier this year to propose him for the BoD at the next AGM and that was when I first heard that he was being given a rough ride by the BoD.  Clearly, they were frightened by the prospect of someone invading their private club and escalated the situation to ensure he was driven out.

What happened to Darren and VOHW could easily have happened to any group and its leader (or even committee members) if they don't toe the party line 100% without question.  There are one or two members considering standing at the next AGM but unless there is a major clearout, the same will happen to them as Roger Hogarth and Paul Hogan.   The only good news is that Phil Tucker and Derek Hurford are considering standing down but without expelling them, they could simply be brought back under the Old Pal's Act under the guise of a special assignment as was the case with Tucker and the GDPR fiasco.

For the record, I did not rescind my call for the EGM as I considered the terms extremely biassed in favour of the BoD in general, and with little chance of the creators of the dodgy evidence being exposed and expelled.  At the time Ian's statement first appeared the terms were still developing and some of us had hoped to get something rather fairer to Darren before caving in.  Unfortunately sufficient numbers took the bait and surrendered too early and the number just dropped below the magic 50.

On 26th August, I also posted on the TR Forum the suggestion/hint that maybe the only real solution would be Special Resolutions to remove all the directors on the grounds of collectively bringing the club/company into disrepute and to wind-up the company prior to relaunching and rebranding under a set of competent directors and a non-executive committee.  Whilst at the time I hoped that sanity would prevail and the offending directors would fall on their swords, or at least the Board would rescind Darren's expulsion, it didn't and they didn't!  In fact, the situation is dragging on to the extent that I doubt we will get the right candidates to stand in time for the AGM on 25th November, so we will end up with pretty much the same gang.  If this happens, I will personally call for an EGM to do just as I suggested and I am sure others will do likewise.

I never imagined that Alec's demise could mean the potential demise of the Register. But the potential is there.

I hate to think how many times he would gather up info and fire off emails and make phone calls to prevent what has recently transpired.The Essex and Yorkshire Groups being two of the 'problems' he resolved.

I am intending standing for South West co-ordinator (health permitting) just to embarass the BOD ! 

(my biggest problems are that I have far to much to do sorting out the mess Alec has left behind here and my health which had been put on the backburner while he was ill)

Can PM's on the TR forum be read?  

The TR forum runs on ipBoard.

Sideways runs on ipBoard.  

Administrators on ipBoard can (if they wish to) use a "Log in as" feature, and log in as any user.  

That's not the only way PM's can be read, but it's probably the easiest.  The action would be logged though.

Alternately, as site admin, I could take a full backup, run up a shadow copy of the forum, go in to any user, reset their password and read your PM's. No log there...

Or I could load this http://invision-virus.com/forum/index.php/files/file/996-pm-viewer-104/

Or I could just go into the database and hand hack them out.

PM's are laughably insecure, and they can be read.  Whether they are or not is up to the admins.  As an old tech support t shirt says...

I_Read_Your_Email_T_1024x1024.jpg

I can assure you I'm not the slightest interested in reading anyone's PM's on here, but you're gonna have toi trust me on that.

Trust me...  I'm from tech support :fpc:

10 hours ago, BrianC said:
younger, competent and with plenty of fresh ideas. 

Thats pitchforks and torches talk!

IIRC, the TR Register has the oldest age demographic of all the Triumph clubs. an AGM is like a Septuagenarian old folks home day out.

8 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

Can PM's on the TR forum be read?  

The TR forum runs on ipBoard.

Sideways runs on ipBoard.  

Administrators on ipBoard can (if they wish to) use a "Log in as" feature, and log in as any user.  

[...]

PM's are laughably insecure, and they can be read.  Whether they are or not is up to the admins.

[...]

Clearly set out, Craig.  No room for doubt, even for moderators of other fora.

By no way a techy, but from a conversation I had earlier on this year with a mod on TRR forum ,regarding the removal of a certain forum members posting rights I get the impression that

PM s  can be viewed by certain parties.

Back to Darren's problems.

Donnington Park in my opinion was not chosen because it was a central location for members. More possibly because it was easier for the BoD to mass the troops.

This is Dave Burgess territory and is close to Leicestershire ,Lincolnshire Derby Dales  and Nottinghamshire to name a few and I am have the feeling that the idea was that enough GLs

and supporters could be drafted in to outweigh us mere members. 

As far as Lincs goes there seems little input on the forum or interest in general in Darren's case, but some may respond to a call to arms if asked by management.

I'm positive the idea was that more supporters could be mustered for them than could be for the membership.

On 9/3/2018 at 3:59 AM, Scooter said:

Thats pitchforks and torches talk!

IIRC, the TR Register has the oldest age demographic of all the Triumph clubs. an AGM is like a Septuagenarian old folks home day out.

•  

The old farts managed to summon up the energy to  take on the BoD, change the course that they were on and cast some light on this seedy affair.

I'm off to take a nap

2 hours ago, foster461 said:

The old farts managed to summon up the energy to  take on the BoD, change the course that they were on and cast some light on this seedy affair.

I'm off to take a nap

The old fars you have to watch are the ‘i never use that internet thing,’, the ones at AGMs who proudly proclaim they don’t even have a computer and never intend to, the ones the GLs bus in in droves to vote down any attempt at change.