What i've done to my Car this week!

Just changing the front hubs on my TR6 to Classic Driveline's bigger units. Having not worked on the vertical link and stub axles before, I can honestly say that I loathe the trunnion bushes, inserting them into the cast wishbones is a pain, much rather the small chassis arrangement of having the bushes in the trunnion. 

I have previously played around with the coil springs for the car and changing those is a royal pita as well.....

The whole front suspension units on those cars seems very clumsy...think Triumph's later small chassis arrangement was superior. A re-design based upon a strengthened version of that design would have been a good idea. 

Never worked on the TR front end, though have spectated on a battle with a Scimitar front corner which is the same IIRC. The thing that always struck me was that the TRs have the same wheel bearing size as the Herald  and Spitfire (just a bit more separation), in spite of the 6 pot lump and 15” wheels. No wonder they suffer from brake pad push-back. Triumph obviously were aware as the small chassis 6pots got bigger bearings!

Good luck in your battle. May the force be with you?

22 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Never worked on the TR front end, though have spectated on a battle with a Scimitar front corner which is the same IIRC. The thing that always struck me was that the TRs have the same wheel bearing size as the Herald  and Spitfire (just a bit more separation), in spite of the 6 pot lump and 15” wheels. No wonder they suffer from brake pad push-back. Triumph obviously were aware as the small chassis 6pots got bigger bearings!

I think it is just the TR6 that has the same bearings!

Roger

Ps they mus thave bought a job lot?

22 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

As a Scimitar owner I recognise the job. Although the later Scimitars like mine had the bigger hub bearings from new. Big heavy car though and still got disc pushback until I fitted the solid bearing spacers.

I took the spitfire out for a run today to a local meet at Barrington. There was a very eclectic mix of classics with a very nice red mk3 spitfire as a stand out for me (photo below is of my scruffy mk4).

It reminded me that there's a leak in the top hose where the fan capillary runs, and that I need to clean the carb needles if I haven't run it for a while!

20230101_122400.jpg

3 hours ago, egret said:

I took the spitfire out for a run today to a local meet at Barrington. There was a very eclectic mix of classics with a very nice red mk3 spitfire as a stand out for me (photo below is of my scruffy mk4).

Decent looking weather for you too. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

3.63 LSD in, standard 3.89 out. 

No preload on the old one that I can measure, must be less than 1lb/ft.

Also did the spring spacers at the same time.

Busy morning, although if the long rear bolt doesn't act up and the front mounting plate is straight (!) it isn't too bad a job. Can't remember, what LSD did you get?

Interested to hear how you got on with the spring spacers. I found them to be too thick and took them back out as they made the car sit far too high.

The brown Spitfire-6 has had some attention, stripping the rusty brake calipers. Pleased to discover it has the GT6 uprights and type 16 brakes. Pistons were very seized, took some persuasion to come out but eventually complied.

I made a video of the whole process (GoPro xmas present!) but will probably take 3 weeks to edit it into something vaguely watchable...

DSC_1035.JPG

3 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

Cleaning the rust out of the locating lip on the calipers is going to be awkward...

Little watch-makers screwdriver with a small kink in the end (or even left straight) works pretty well.

18 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Bloody awful those things. :blush:

It’s quite cunning, just (very) fiddly. Calipers used on a lot of VAG stuff are  similar, but less fiddly somehow.

• Like 1