Sign in to follow this  
andymcp

Herald 13/60 twin SU carbs

When fitting twin SU carbs to a Herald, what do folks use for the throttle pedal?  Modify the Herald setup or install a Spitfire type?

Why do you need to modify the Herald pedal? You just make up a cable of the right length with the relevant ends.

Actually, that's what I meant by modifying the Herald setup.  Years ago I did see a car with a Spitfire pedal, that the guy said bolted straight in.  Just canvassing opinion.

I believe the Spitfire pedal will bolt in, but not tried. I quite like the Herald pedal, one of the easiest cars to heel and toe because the pedal is so large. Having said that, never tried a Spitfire might be just as good.

But the normal problem is throttle cable length as the Herald one is too short. I made a custom cable from a bicycle brake inner and outer, I've had no problems with it. The only awkward bit is the bulkhead ferrule, which I had to remove from the old cable and araldite (other brands of Epoxy are available) to the new one.

Herald pedal it is!  I'll start with a Spitfire cable and see where I end up...

Cheers Guys.

I have a feeling the Spitfire cable is no good either, because the bit through the bulkhead is shorter due to the pedal design. If memory serves me correctly a Vitesse cable is a bit longer, not sure if RHD or LHD though.

These days I just make cables up.

I use PTFE/teflon lined outer, and similarly coated inner cables. Buy some small solder less nipples and off you go.

The adjusters are also available. All off fleabag....

Premade cables for cars don't seem to last well or be very smooth.

Or available at your local bicycle shop, AKA 'brake cable'.    They will have screw on end nipples and anything else you need for a neat installation,

J.