Clutch hydraulics

PaulAA

Chaps

Clutch slave cylinder failed last weekend and I will be replacing both the slave and master this w/e, if TNT deliver the goods in time...

In its previous life, a PO replaced the brake fluid with DOT5 and I'm wondering whether to keep things simple and fill the new clutch hydraulics with the same stuff.

Is this a truly stupid idea?  Making sure that folk don't mix mineral with silicone in the brake system has been (and continues to be) a pain in the butt, but if it's all silicone... maybe easier..?

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulAA

Paul

if it was me I would simplify things with dot 5. But I don’t remember the simplest things even if I did it  !!

if you have others working on the car it’s also worth it but also add a label to each reservoir with the fluid type.

(Don’t think I would go that way by choice mind but that’s just me)

But the po has made that choice for you. 

Just make sure your new parts are dot 5 compatible. 

H

Hello Paul

When I bought Spiity in 2010 it had already got Dot 5 in the Brake system so when I fitted an overdrive to it (6months later) I replced the seals in the clutch hydraulics and filled it with Dot 5

Neither has given me any trouble since (then I do not do track days to cook the brakes!) in 30,000 + miles

I used to get a very slight long brake pedal but has been cured by fitting solid spacers to the front wheel bearings(pad knock back)

Roger

ps I changed the solid pipe to flexible when I fitted the new engine and used the old one as a remote bleed(next to the master cylinder)

Just to make you more confused.

DOT 5 is silicone-based.

But DOT 5.1 is GLYCOL-based, and will mix with old DOT 4.  Prob best to flush the whole system with DOT 5.1 if you are changing, rather than leave a mixture., but simple to do for the clutch, but at least any residue will not cause a problem.

Probably the best way to tell the difference is the fluid's efficacy as a paint stripper!

John

38 minutes ago, JohnD said:

But DOT 5.1 is GLYCOL-based, and will mix with old DOT 4.  Prob best to flush the whole system with DOT 5.1 if you are changing,

Are you confusing us or yourself John....?

DoT 5 (the silicone stuff) is usually purple-ish in colour - at least when new.

Nick

Thank you, chaps.  Silicone for simplicity it is.

I've twice had the accursed silicone replenished with mineral.  Most recently, it was DOT 4 ("I've never seen brake fluid go purple before, chief" Agghhh!), which seems to maintain a sullen yet non-corrosive relationship with the DOT 5 incumbent.  But the first time was with 5.1 ("you're in luck, sir," says the mechanic, "I found something even better than DOT 5"), which proved to be a wildly aggressive mix, ruined all the seals, contaminated the pads, drums & shoes and took a week to flush out of the pipes and dry.

Paul