Not lost in France.

JohnD

All, 

Crossed the Channel this PM, en route for Le Man's, and ensonced in my first 'wild camp' 

Unlike some of my others, last year, this seems to be a quite popular spot for family walks and exercise.  There are even marked routes through the magnificent 'Foret Dominiale'!    And as I was able to catch an earlier ferry, I have time in hand, so out with the bike and let's try one of the routes.

Now, this site is signposted to "Le Colonne Blanchard", which I didn't bother to translate in my mind, but the route took me past this memorial column:

IMG_20230626_170510.thumb.jpg.48f1cd538dc394d48917f9df5ab3d5e2.jpg

Deep in the woods, the worn inscription, although gilded is difficult to read:

IMG_20230626_165227.thumb.jpg.1373c592d8798019379c76baf0627263.jpg

but when I puzzled through it, it's amazing!  I think it says:

"In the reign of Louis 16th, MDCCLXXXV, (1785?) Jean Pierre Blanchard of Andelys in  Normandy accompanied by Jean Jeffries Englishman left the Dover Castle  In an "aerostat" (hot air balloon?)
On the 7th January at a quarter past one, they travelled for the first time in the air above the Pas de Calais, and descended at three and three quarters at this place where the people of Guines have erected this column to the glory of the two voyagers."

Wow!  The astronauts of the 18th Century!

Rouen and le Circuit des Les Essarts tomorrow!

John

PS See the Wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Pierre_Blanchard

Edited by JohnD

I do seem to be finding old, and new memorials.   The Rouen- Les Essarts race circuit is still there, it has to be, it's part of the public road network.   So, it's qualities as a race circuit are there to enjoy for anyone, and I recommend the uphill section especially le Virage Samson, a more than 90 degree turn left, tight, uphill and banked.   At speed it must have been tremendous!

But it's another corner of this circuit that was its doom.   Les Six Freres was where Jo Schlesser died, at the wheel of an all-magnesium Honda that John Surtees, the Honda No.1 driver, refused to race in that French Grand Prix of 1968.  Surtees thought the car was just too dangerous to drive, and he was tragically correct.

After that, the French GP never came to Rouen again, despite Six Freres being made 'safer' by sharpening the corner, now a layby.

And now, LPthere is another memorial, new since I last visited. 

IMG_20230627_144917.thumb.jpg.f1f560d6c0d273562606abaf6235ab39.jpg

As you can see, it's in memory of not only Schlesser, but five other drivers, four of them killed since the course was "improved".  Six brothers, indeed.

The memorial looks recent, and has two unfaded wreaths, which by their inscriptions seem to be from the family of Gerry Burrell, whose Scots origin and memory is clear from the saltire of flowers.

Motor racing then was a cruel sport, killing its best without mercy.  Thank goodness circuits are safer now, and its probably a good thing that we race at Rouen no more.

john

Edited by JohnD
  • Thanks 1

Made it to Le Mans!  And linked up with Le Chef de m'Equipe!    Who handed me my papers and said, "Good luck"!   Why?  Because I now have to wait in line for my papers to be "accredited".  He reckons about three hours!  As I'm in the second line already with another forming alongside, and space in tbe field for another ten lines, I'm sure he's right!

16879512352494879197749466705765.thumb.jpg.c6bd2663e0962b8210c9d57231484818.jpg

Meanwhile, you know my love of 'wild camping'.    This morning, I had a breakfast visitor:

IMG_20230627_210403.thumb.jpg.2e646c07dda07e7ff5a705ced49c2822.jpg

Yes, really that close, and not 'myxie' at all!

John

Sorry for the running commentary, but there's nothing else to do!  The marshals are admitting two or three vehicles every ten minutes or so about 20 an hour.  And there are at least 100 in this field!  Fortunately, I'm now No.6!! 

Have to move forward!

John

No, Hamish, although as we field a team of only four cars, when it was six last year, maybe it was.  Can't recall!

Spent today in  minor fettling and polishing - I am the garage boy after all! - the Talbot's, a gorgeous Chevron ( in the paddock with the oh-my-stars! GT40s), and a Blower Bentley that are also mounts for

two of our co-drivers.   This year, CLM commemorates it's own centenary, and that of Bentley, with a grid exclusively for them.  I can't imagine so many have been brought together, ever before!   This short video scan is just half of their exclusive paddock!

John

8 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Blimey John.

You appear to gave landed in a car dreamland. 

I never imagined that many Bentleys were still raced. Incredible 

I'm told that they don't.  Many (most?) do not and never have raced, and the CLM organisers have allowed drivers without race licences to enter, to maximise the grid.   The prediction is that there will be a mass, Le Mans style start, followed by temporary retirement of the majority until they rejoin for the finish.  Unless there is a mass crash at the Dunlop Bridge!

John

11 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Although I have just spent almost 20 minutes browsing that website looking at cars I'll never own :laugh:

I’m afraid I am a regular attendee on that site - but I limit my search to FIA up to about 1970 for my escapism.

John you are a lucky man that is some paddock for a special year !

I feel it, guys, I feel it! 

Just had a patrol of the French SAS? through the paddock.  Automatic rifles at the ready, dark glasses, armed for bear.  No, I didn't take a picture! 

They stalked through, heading for the pedestrian exit - and found it was locked!    Retreat, men!

TeeHee

John

No! They're there so they don't need to be cleared of flies and debris before night practise.

But, quel horreur!   One of our four has spun a bearing, probably main.  Oil pressure bottomed.  Discussion, could the spare, just built, be brought from the UK, but sense prevailed.  It's out, we're down to three cars!

On to night practise, untimed so less pressure, just after 2200.

Edited by JohnD

3 minutes ago, JohnD said:

No! They're there so they don't need to be cleared of flies and debris before night practise.

Learn something new every day, can it would be a pain cleaning the grill and lens if the grill doesn’t come off.

Great line up John, looks like you’re having a good time!

57 minutes ago, Hamish said:

I used to turn the lights to the low drag setting on dads car. I’m sure it made no difference :biggrin:

6477B3C8-047B-490B-BD24-3CEB0242D219.jpeg

Makes a massive difference Hamish. Especially to a young lad helping his Dad :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

But, quel horreur!   One of our four has spun a bearing, probably main.  Oil pressure bottomed.  Discussion, could the spare, just built, be brought from the UK, but sense prevailed.  It's out, we're down to three cars!

On to night practise, untimed so less pressure, just after 2200.

Sorry to hear about the car John. Bon chance for the remaining tres amis..