Another 1963 BRSCC period film

Hamish

I have added another of dads films for you to reminisce to

its seems even more corny, than the last, if that’s possible 

can you believe I had to jump through so many hoops to get it out there as people had claimed copyright cheeky devils !!! 

Edited by Hamish

Fantastic! Whilst the action is great, I particularly like the incidental scenes of the paddock/spectators.  Background stuff/street scenes etc. is something I always mean to take pictures of myself when on holiday, but rarely remember to so e.g. if I went to London I'd have a few pictures of the houses of parliament (or something) but in reality, twenty years later I'd find much more to look at in a picture of a few cars parked outside a Woolies or something :D

Dad understood he was making a club film. And he knew everybody. So could take the pee out of some of his mates. And try an ensure it was all covered. He did the same with his VSCC films.

film was expensive and the cameras clockwork. You had to wind them up for about 40sec of filming. Unless he wanted SLO-mo in which case he used twice as much film and the shot just 20sec. 
as a racer he know the tracks and hill for good track positioning. 

I think he worked on 4 to 1 film usage. 

Yes, it’s too easy to forget the practical technical challenges and costs of filming back then (and indeed until fairly recently).

Clockwork cameras (literally), chemical film, film cost, developing cost, editing by physically cutting and splicing, adding the soundtrack…….

Huge efforts…. And yet, here it is (they are), evocative views back into motorsport past that are both different and familiar.

Thanks Hamish!

• Like 1

1963 at Brands hatch, I was probably there in the paddock bend stand, look for the skinny 9 year old!....

My uncle and grandfather were marshals so we often went to Brands, used to really enjoy the boxing day racing. I remember the Galaxies fighting with minis, the minis would walk all over them usually on 3 wheels but the power of Galaxies told once they were on the straight!

Great film!

Mike

Enjoyed the video Hamish, and was also intrigued by the comments under it on YouTube - the stuff about Roy James and the Great Train Robbery.

Anyway that took me down a rabbit hole and i came across another YT video which looks and sounds like the same Roscoe Films production... but much lower quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpWPoOwd4wA

Edited by PeteStupps

2 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

Enjoyed the video Hamish, and was also intrigued by the comments under it on YouTube - the stuff about Roy James and the Great Train Robbery.

Anyway that took me down a rabbit hole and i came across another YT video which looks and sounds like the same Roscoe Films production... but much lower quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpWPoOwd4wA

Yup that’s dad and his commentary and film. 

10 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Only the barest rudiments…..

Can’t help but wonder what he would have made of the current digital tech and the uses he would have made of it!

he would have embraced it.

He got BEAULIEU motor museum film dept to help himput his 16mm on to video tape. Dad wanted hi-band u-matic tape as masters. Thisthen went to produce VHSand Betamax commercial tapes that were sold through duke marketing a big motor sport video distributor. 
Dad then went to dvd.
he would have loved digital editing.