Project Binky episode 24

Project Binky has been going for a long time and I look forward to seeing the car when finished, must admit I am getting impatient though!

Even though Matt of Urchfab seems more into drifting and the more youthful end of the modifying old car scene, I do enjoy his series about the Ford Pop/Mazda MX5 amalgamation.

I am extremely curious about how thy intend to get it road registered as the mods certainly exclude it from using the original Mini or Toyota ID. Presume SVA but not mentioned anywhere I’ve noticed.

The small matter of the final build of the mechanical components, paint and trimming are all out there still. Good couple of years left I reckon..... Then there is their lorry project too......

Blackhurst looks noticeably older and wearier already.....

SVA needs unmodified chassis according to website, not sure they can claim that despite using all the mechanicals from the celica which would give them the required points.

Once parked up in Caen ferry queue post CLM next to a GT40 replica that was built on an old Granada suspension, engine box etc and had the plate from that, mind as soon as he had the plate and it was registered it gained a full on V8 and transaxle.........

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles

I can't believe they haven't thought it through, mind is it Ep 1 or 2 where they expect to be done in a few months, rules were probably different back then.........they look so young....

Mark

Edited by mark spit

In previous life, Blackhurst & Brunning were a moderately successful rally team, in I think  a Peugeot 205.    Richard referred to that car in a recent episode, when they robbed it of some part!  That's when the intro sequence comes from.

As said, Binky is to be a road car.    After seeing that 'cooling pack' they fitted to the front, that probably good.   The slightest encounter with a hedge would make for another 24 hours of solid work for Blackhurst to conjure up another set of radiators!

On which;    in that last, they cut grooves in a pipe end to make barbs, instead of raising a bead, and bent alloy pipe with first a pipe bender and then heat from a flame torch to form alloy tubing.   Just showing off their talents?

John

• 4 months later...