Is this why my Megajolt wouldn't work?

Earlier this year, I was given enormous support from the Assembly of Sideways, when I was trying to get my old laptop to talk to the Megajolt unit.    Problem never got it sorted, and eventually I gave up.  Not like me, but the racing season was starting and I needed an ignition system!

My other project that you-all have supported me in is the Crank Pulley Damper.      The next stage of that is to compare signals from the front and back of the crank, to see what oscillations occur.     To do that, I've bought a Picoscope, that allows a laptop (or any PC) to act as an oscilloscope.      Software downloaded, installed on the laptop, and I run the programme.    It asks me to connect the Picoscope, which I do, I get the usual XP "new hardware detected" and it lights a red LED on the unit.    But the laptop cannot see the Picoscope unit, even when I move the USB plug to any of the three sockets on the laptop.

So I had a Megajolt that the laptop detected, but would not talk to. 

I now have a Picoscope that the laptop detects, but will not talk to.

That two quite different devices, that should communicate with a laptop by USB cable, have failed to do so, points to the Laptop as the faulty unit!   Is there a fault in the laptop that means it can't communicate via USB?   It's an old one, a Dell (Inspiron 1300) that I bought maybe ten years ago, for teaching at work.     Haven't used it for that since before I retired, and I've hung onto it with these projects on mind.   

Maybe a drastic solution like wiping the hard disc and reinstalling Windows -  But it may be that I need to splash out on a new one!   

John

Did you say XP?

.......that is quite old now.

You may well have a driver problem. Presumably the USB ports do work for some things -memory sticks and so on?

The MJ presumably was connected via USB- RS232 adapter? Picoscope perhaps not?

Reinstalling Windows isn't huge fun.

Nick

John

It might indeed be a driver problem.  Have you tried uninstalling the usb driver?  Equally, the equipment may simply be incompatible with XP - the packaging should give you some indication of which OSs it is suitable for.

The Inspiron 1300 is an old machine and a quick check on the potential to upgrade the OS to something newer suggests that even W7 is unlikely to work, so it may simply be a question of biting the bullet and getting a new(er) laptop.  I used to buy refurbished equipment for the office and a decently specced year-old Dell laptop can be had for very little.

As Ian and Nick have observed, reinstalling any Windows OS involves a lot of brain damage.  Dell outlet is offering an Inspiron 15 with W10 for £245 here.

Paul

I wouldn't rule out an old machine or Windows XP purely on age grounds.  XP is one of the better MS efforts and in fact Megajolt (and Megasquirt for that matter) date from similar times and also use aged tech.  My "car" laptop is a very elderly, though not much used Acer, running XP without even built-in wifi.  Does the job fine....

The issue is that more recent interconnecting cables and the like might not come with drivers that will talk to XP.  There are usually ways around this though they can take a while to unravel.......

Of course, some of the USB - RS232 adapters simply don't work.  I have that T shirt as well.

Nick

Yes, the USB ports work fine for memory stick - that's how I installed the Picoscope software!   And there's no serial port to USB jiggerypokery that my Megajolt unit required for its serial socket  -  the Picoscope unit comes with a USB cable.  Flat one end (USB 2?3?) And squarish the other.

I need to try plugging it into another Picoscope enabled PC.   If it then connects, I'll know that my old laptop is the problem.    Thank you, Paul. For your suggestion!    I was looking at machines at my local PCWorld, and there's a big price jump from £250 "for daily use" and £600 and upwards for new machines.

John

TRied the Picoscope on my desktop - works fine!  At least, it detects and connects to the device.

So there must be some hard/software problem with the old laptop's USB ports, which could explain why it wouldn't talk to Megajolt, OR Picoscope!   

Time to get out the UACT( universal error correction tool - aka credit card) and get me a new laptop.   Thanks for the steer to refurbished Dells, Paul.

John

PS, I disposed of an even older desk top the other day, and had great fun removing the old hard disk, and destroying that.   I didn't go the sledge hammer route, but drilled out the various fasteners to get inside.   I was amazed when I got the drive apart - a "hard" disk really is hard!  It's a thin steel (at least metal) disk, so strong that I couldn't bend it in my fingers, had to use a vice!  

24 minutes ago, JohnD said:

TRied the Picoscope on my desktop - works fine!  At least, it detects and connects to the device.

So there must be some hard/software problem with the old laptop's USB ports, which could explain why it wouldn't talk to Megajolt, OR Picoscope!   

Time to get out the UACT( universal error correction tool - aka credit card) and get me a new laptop.   Thanks for the steer to refurbished Dells, Paul.

John

PS, I disposed of an even older desk top the other day, and had great fun removing the old hard disk, and destroying that.   I didn't go the sledge hammer route, but drilled out the various fasteners to get inside.   I was amazed when I got the drive apart - a "hard" disk really is hard!  It's a thin steel (at least metal) disk, so strong that I couldn't bend it in my fingers, had to use a vice!   

Hello John

Fully trained PC engineer now then?

Roger

28 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Did you get the platter to bend? Must have been an aluminium one, quite often they shatter as they are typically a ceramic/glass substrate.

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

PC World?  Nah!  They're holding a race engineer's position for me at Ferrari!   

John

Hello John

When do you start I bet all the engineers there are trembling in their boots(Italian hand stiched by a dusky maidens from rare unicorn skins)

Roger

ps still dreaming is free at the moment(its getting political now?)