Camshaft Bearings

Hello All

I went and collected my block and crank today it was a bit more money than I expected but then it has had about 0.030 machined off the block

While talking to the man I noticed a 6 cylinder 4 valve per cylinder twin overhead cam  pent head sitting on the counter!

said that looks nice he said it is a fartrari and the valve guides have to be drilled out 6 x 4 = 24 to do!

The customer had supplied the valves at £150 EACH  Guides £?

I said how much will that cost he said about £900!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  per head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I have spent about £1100 on all parts and machining up to now only balancing to go and valve seats(still thinking of the valve seat cutters!)

I think I will stick to Triumphs!

Roger

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All

I had chance to tinker in the garage today(after fitting a new 24 volt water pump for the house supply in the cold yesterday!)and other DIY  jobs!!!!!

I spent about 1 hour cleaning out my little washer tank and putting clean paraffin in so I could wash the crank and rods etc.

I trial fitted the crank to the block and 1 con rod and piston to see what the deck height will be and one the one I have tried I have 0.012" pop up ?

Which I think is to much ?

When I collected the block and crank I was talking to the man about compression ratios etc(he used to race Mini,s they even had a dyno at one stage!)

He said up to 10.5 to 1 with the 280deg overlap camshaft I am fitting should be ok? (I think I will stick to 9.5+ )

He also said to deck the pistons and not leave pop up as it may cause head gasket damage?

He also said to start at No4 cylinder?(no idea why!)

Another question! I have been looking at the front pulley I have and the vee is a bit worn and I could skim it!

But then I was thinking!!!! what about if I machine it off and make a Aluminium one! (Rimmers sell then for a lot of money!)

Is it worth the effort?

Roger

ps the list of jobs is getting longer I have ordered a cheap oil temperature gauge!(I am a sucker for gauges) and I did what nick said and put 4lt of water in the sump to think about a baffle?(I am glad this only a 4 cylinder engine the thought of doing a V8 or V12 make me feel weak at the knees!)

Roger

I'd consider 0.012" pushing it!  Mine are 0.005" - I haven't had the head off yet to see how clean the piston is in the squish areas.  Might be worth trying different rod and piston combinations?  I did get some variation but only 3 - 4 thou max.  Head gasket would only be an issue if overhanging the bore edge, which it should not be - and if it's doing that it'll cause other problems anyway!  Don't know why start at #4.

Aluminium pulleys........ needs to be the right aluminium (don't ask me which) and there have been plenty of disgruntled customers whose pulleys ate their keyways and whose seals leaked when they quickly wore a groove.  Speedi-sleeve will prevent the latter and proper fitting/torquing should prevent the former - provided the pulley is made of the right alloy grade (and heat treatment state).  Or were you thinking about keeping the iron centre part and grafting an alloy outer on?  Quite like that idea - machine the 36-1 in there as well......

Nick

21 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

I'd consider 0.012" pushing it!  Mine are 0.005" - I haven't had the head off yet to see how clean the piston is in the squish areas.  Might be worth trying different rod and piston combinations?  I did get some variation but only 3 - 4 thou max.  Head gasket would only be an issue if overhanging the bore edge, which it should not be - and if it's doing that it'll cause other problems anyway!  Don't know why start at #4.

Aluminium pulleys........ needs to be the right aluminium (don't ask me which) and there have been plenty of disgruntled customers whose pulleys ate their keyways and whose seals leaked when they quickly wore a groove.  Speedi-sleeve will prevent the latter and proper fitting/torquing should prevent the former - provided the pulley is made of the right alloy grade (and heat treatment state).  Or were you thinking about keeping the iron centre part and grafting an alloy outer on?  Quite like that idea - machine the 36-1 in there as well......

Nick

Hello Nick

I will have a play with all the rods tomorrow.

I was thinking of using the centre of the pulley and grafting a pulley on to it, I had not thought of machining the trigger wheel in to it(I have already ordered one!) not sure aluminium would work well they all talk of steel?(I think! no I know it needs steel or iron for the VR type ((magnetic)) Hall type may be different)

There is a lot to think about? (my old brain hurts) but it does me good!

I will report tomorrow Sir!

Roger

Hello All

I have spent an interesting? day cleaning weighing and measuring con rods, piston and pop up,s

I have found by putting the lightest piston on the heaviest rod I can get them within 0.3g of each other! (which will do me) 

I have numbered the rods and pistons as sets now and that,s how they are staying!

I then assembled them in the bock and measured deck height they are all within the +0.015" to +0.018" range!

So I think I will machine them to give +0.005" (then check the overall weights again)

I have mounted the block sideways on the engine stand as suggested on here and it is much better except I keep falling over the front wheels as they stick out much further than the block with it mounted this way(Or is it me being clumsy?)

Roger

ps all this measuring takes for ever! or am I just SLOW? (still I was taught measure twice cut once!)

I remember an old Technical drawing teacher saying if you forgot to show the fixings on a plan, What you going to do spit on it and wait for it to rust in to place!

DSC06043.JPG

DSC06045.JPG

DSC06047.JPG

1 hour ago, oldtuckunder said:

Where have the two missing cylinder gone?   :biggrin: Ah I see saving on the 50% extra measuring!

Hello Alan

Plus all that EXTRA cast iron! this one is soaking up funds!(Still better I spend it than the kids?) I do not want another 50%

Plus I can just pick the empty block up if I tuck my socks in!

Roger

Edited by rogerguzzi

Well, that block looks just like my old 1300 Herald one (green hammerite).  Fairly sure it isn't though as that was a small crank 1300 and last seen in Perth WA (though recent news suggests it may now be homeless having been ousted by a 6).

4 cylinder blocks are dead light when bare.  I have been known to pick up a bare 6 cyl block but prefer not to!

Don't forget to mark the pistons somewhere else before you machine the markings off the top!

Nick

Hello Nick

I have marked the pistons and rods with paint and marker pen (pistons inside)

I have been looking at the pulley it has a wear ridge were the seal runs!

But if I machine the vee part off and replace it with an Aluminium one I could remove a bit off the crank end so the seal sits on a different part.

I can re position the vee to suit after I fix the blank on.

I think this Aluminium would be suitable? and 25mm would be enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Round-Bar-Rod-3-16-8-dia-5mm-200mm-Various-sizes-and-lengths/281404474552?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=580431555461&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.aircraftmaterials.com/data/aluminium/6082.html

What do we all think?

Roger

ps or fit a speedy sleeve?

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Engineering-Parts-Shaft-Repair-Sleeves-Imperial-Shaft-Repair-Sleeves/c4713_4847_4850/index.html

Edited by rogerguzzi

29 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

I'd speedy sleeve it......

Nick

Hello Nick

I think you are right but you do not have a BIG lathe!

I think I may give it a quick clean up of the vee and make a decision!

I have enough to do really I just get side tracked!(easily bored!)

Roger

21 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I'd speedy sleeve it......

Nick

Hello Nick

I have decide on the Speedi Sleeve I found a cheap one on Fleabay it will not be SKF  probably one of these

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Engineering-Parts-Shaft-Repair-Sleeves-Imperial-Shaft-Repair-Sleeves/c4713_4847_4850/index.html

But bought this one its cheaper than the Aluminium to make a new pulley and less work and Stainless steel!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shaft-Repair-Sleeve-Speedi-Sleeve-Imperial-Sizes/301388131740?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=600365559049&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I am machining the rough casting all over so it should be very near balanced?

I have mounted on a mandrel so I know it runs true to the bore in all planes!

Roger

ps see what I mean about getting bored and side tracked?

18 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

How nice to have the time.......... you've obviously managed to avoid getting involved in the parish council!

Did you find that it is fairly true from the factory?

Nick

Hello Nick

One of the ONLY perks of being OLD and retired

Yes the vee was true but all the unmachined casting ran out! so I have machined it all over(probably a waste of time) but I had to machine it to fit the trigger wheel!

I recon now it is within 0.001" all over! so should be quite close to balanced?

The Speedi Sleeve arrived today so I have fitted that as well(no more rust!) I was un branded just with their own name on the fitting leaflet.

I have just got to decide were to fit the VR sensor I am fancying the timing chest cover(I saw a photo on this site I think of one fitted like that? must find it)

Roger

DSC06050.JPG

DSC06051.JPG

DSC06053.JPG

DSC06056.JPG

17 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

This is what my PI one looked like

That's about where I have ended up. Of course one of the differences between Spit and 6 cyl pulleys is that the Spit doesn't have a harmonic damped pulley so you can mount off the back face, if you did that on a 6Cyl pulley you would have to fix outside the rubber ring, unless you welded close to the inner.

Alan

On 22/12/2017 at 1:54 PM, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Alan

How are you going to use that collet and holder? in a drill press?

Found another use for the collet and holder. Could mount the valves in the lathe and clean and polish carefully without risking touching the seat faces! Now for a careful Lap.

Alan

5a6a2ade5c374_ValvePolish001(Large).thumb.jpg.e46b7af256c0bcd3bcd3253636bcc39d.jpg5a6a2ae571de0_ValvePolish002(Large).thumb.jpg.d87860e305c2c48b9a9902d1aeb72d8d.jpg5a6a2c7a54736_ValvePolish003(Large).thumb.jpg.61f22e1259185d13c7e61d032347de67.jpg

On 29/12/2017 at 11:28 AM, rogerguzzi said:

The Mini valve stem seals have arrived but having looked at them I think I will use the VW ones.

The VW ones are 2mm shorter and the seal is for an 8mm stem

The mini ones I have have a much smaller stem hole (maybe 7mm or less 1/4"?) they do need less machined off the guide but by my measuring the groove that needs to be cut is just as deep if not more! (would be just as weak at that point)

Out of experience now!  I think I can say don't use either!  buy the CW ones they are the right size.

Being as much as cheapskate as any one I thought I'd order a set of the VW ones as they looked nicely made, and also a set of the Mini ones as they are cheap!

Fortunately the VW ones have a firm/solid stem which will not fit my existing machined guides, that were machined for the Reizn Seals (which I couldn't use because they won't work with double springs) but fortunately were a perfect fit for the CW ones.

So OK I'll use the Mini ones, they are also a perfect fit on the guide, I thought they were a tad tight on the stem, but thought well they should work. So valves all installed and using my normal hammer method to tap the valves to make sure no colletts were going to go pop when in use, I suddenly noticed that the seals had moved up the valve stem.

Mini ones are no good they have an unstretched ID  of 5.5mm so just grip the 7.9mm valve stem too tightly and lift with it, the VW are also no good as they have an unstretched ID of 7.25 and I think still a tad tight, whereas the CW one have an ID of 7.75 which seems to be about perfect for a 7.9mm valve stem.

Oh well only 6 valves to disassemble and reassemble!

Alan

Hello All

After thoroughly cleaning the block (all core plugs out and oil gallery plugs ) after drilling center oil way out larger and drilling the gallery out from end to end 11 mm.

I fitted the camshaft bearings and they are spot on size Checked with my go and no go gauge.

Then I had a Numpty moment I fitted the camshaft and retainer plate and all the lobes were to far off center and I thought B***er Newman have made a bad camshaft !!

Then (you are ahead of me) I realized I had not fitted the front engine plate(0.125" thick) panic over they are just off center as should be!

So progress? all core plugs back in , just need the crank back now?

Roger