OK, I give in. Where the hell do you guys buy your syringes from, cause I cannot seem to find them at all!!

I don't have a ruddy prescription, I refuse to be registered as a user of 'recreational' drugs, all I want to do is find out what out what my Compression Ratio is!!

Cheers,

Phil

Look for oral medication type if your using it to measure your combustion chamber. No actual needle part just nub. I got mine for pennies at Shopper's (if you don't have those just try the local pharmacy) Vet clinics will have them too!

No problem at all here?

Cost less than 50cents for a 60ml syringe at the pharmacy and no prescription needed.

plenty of them on ebay

60ml

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=60+ml+syringe&_sacat=See-All-Categories

50ml

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=50+ml+syringe&_sacat=0&_odkw=60+ml+syringe&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

60mls is  bit big.

I would use 10  and 2mls sizes, fo a chamber that is about 40mls.

1mls are available (on eBay) so you could measure to less than 0.1ml, but really it's impossible to measure to less than 0.5mls as there is no clear end point.

If you do the calculations, a difference of 0.5 mls makes very little change in CR.

John

If anyone can get their hands on old fashioned glass syringes you're laughing.

Mineral liquids degrade the rubber of the plunger in plastic syringes, so that when you come back to do another measurement, the rubber has swollen and the plunger is stiff or seized.    A glass one lasts for ever, or until you break it.

But then plastic syringes are supposed to be single use, so buy a batch (£2 for 10 1mls on eBay, probably similar for five 10 mls, I haven't looked.) and use one per cylinder.

John

Matt - syringes not needles :)

I've got them from three or four local places without any issue at all (bought, lost, bought, lost etc)

You can't do anything naughty with a syringe.

thats what i tried to explain to 3 pharmacies, they all classed syringes as the same a needles.

John, sorry but I have to disagree about refilling a smaller one several times instead of using a one fill big one.

When checking against a burette the larger single fill was more accurate.

By the way burettes aren't that expensive from ebay and much more accurate:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=burette&_sacat=See-All-Categories

John, sorry but I have to disagree about refilling a smaller one several times instead of using a one fill big one.

When checking against a burette the larger single fill was more accurate.

By the way burettes aren't that expensive from ebay and much more accurate:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=burette&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Yeah, I quite see the point on burettes/pipettes, however both myself and another gent over on VT have pointed out, these require a reasonable level of skill to use. Despite myself having a pretty reasonable aptitude for sciences, I never managed to fathom the dark art of using burettes!! Well, it was either an inability to use a burette, or I managed to prove a lot of scientists wrong!!

That's how I learned to use a burette at school - we never had issues with accuracy?!

I can't see how that is any less accurate.

Must be more accurate than any cheapo syringe.

Not that you need that much accuracy but it sure is easier.

I don't dispute that a burette is accurate, merely unwieldy.  With a burette I have one more seldom used apparatus sitting around.  When needed I must set it up then manipulate a heavy lump of cast iron exactly inline with the discharge to dribble thru the hole in my sealed plate.

With a syringe, I take it out of the drawer, fill it with water and inject it into said hole until all the air escapes thru the other hole.  Read the difference and Bob's your uncle.

Now if I was in a professional shop CCing cylinder heads daily I might opt for the fixture... 8)

No, spitNL, you misunderstand.

The end point which is not clear is the point at which the chamber is full.

BUT!

I'll bet that I can read a 1ml syringe to an accuracy of 0.01mls.  Diabetics do this regularly, as they are the major users of 1mls and need to adjust their dose of insulin, which often comes in 100Unit/ml cocentration.   So if they need 47 units, they must measure 0.47mls.    Not .46 or .48, 0.47.

I challenge you, or anyone, to read the burette you linked to, and which would be typical for garage use,  to less than 0.1mls!

That's an order of magnitude, ten times, bigger than the error of a 1ml syringe.

BUT this is irrelevant, as the ENDPOINT IS NOT CLEAR!  You cannot tell easily when the chamber is full, so like Ted I use an easy-to-see point, which I know is not correct.

The error in that may be as much as 0.5mls, but even that is not significant when calculating CR.

Try it!  See how much your CR changes if you change the chamber volume by 0.5ml! See: http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

The important thing is to choose  a technique and an end point, point and stick to it, get experienced in using them and use them for all the chambers.   Having equal chambers is as importnat if not more than the absolute CR, which is a pile of nonsense anyway, as the dynamic CR is much less.

John

Perhaps I am missing something about the end point not being clear, but the way I have used to measure chamber involves covering the chamber with a bit of glass (with a small hole) oil the head surface to seal the glass then inject soapy water through the hole. A bit of detergent in the water reduces the meniscus. Position the hole  so that it is at the edge of the chamber and tilt the head so that the hole is raised (to let air out as you put the water in. The only difficulty in detecting the end point is due to the minimal meniscus at the injection hole.

Position the hole  so that it is at the edge of the chamber and tilt the head so that the hole is raised...

That is so obvious now you mention it! I had the hole in the middle & had endless fun with the last little bit of air  :B

BTW you don't have to have a stand with a burette (although it probably helps).

I use a burette on a stand with a piece of perspex with two holes, one for filling and one to the air to escape, along with degreaser in the burette.  Very easy, accurate and importantly repeatable.  I also have the advantage of a light aluminium head which is easily leveled on the stands I have.

Pete Richards