One of the nicest things thats ever happened to me

A couple of weeks ago I was stupid enough to have a ladder slide out under me causing a "rapid unplanned disassembly" of my left shoulder. On tuesday I got screwed back together.

Before the operation the anethetist came out to the waiting room to take me to a consultation room. I had a laptop bag with me tucked under my chair (thus out of sight). Before leading me to the consultation room he asked me if I had a bag, and if so would I like him to carry it for me. That kind of active consideration was typical of all the staff I dealt with at the hospital (Peterborough City) 

later that day I was being prepared for the op. My shoulder was marked up etc and there was a standard last minute run through a check list questionare. I have a dark sence of humor which I use to deflect stress so when they got to the question "so what part of you are we operating on" I was unable to resist keeping a straight face and saying "left leg".

It was stupid and disrespected their professionalism and their need for a rigid system of disiplined checks. They pointed out that it was not a time for jokes.

Due to tha pain and difficulty coping with living alone Ive only been getting 3-4 hours sleep a day for the last two weeks which gets depressing.

When I got home lastnight I discovered that while I was unconcious they had shaved my right thigh. Finding that hat little human touch of humor shifted me from tears of pain and depression to tears of joy. I dont supose its easy to understand how much that meant to me. It may seem wierd but it's genuinely touched me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It is the little things like that that that shows that you are not alone with your inner turmoil. There are genuine people that do take notice and do care.

Take it easy and rest up that shoulder.

• Like 1

Nice human touch.  Hope the op went well and has done the trick. Was this the “better” procedure you mentioned in the other thread?

Wish you a speedy and full recovery. Family physio (aka the House Cyclist) reckons you should get mostly back if you do what your physio tells you and work hard! 

Definitely do what the physio says diligently. DO NOT do extra as that doesn't help.

Also, consider eating some stuff that aids bone healing, think eggs, dairy, spinach, etc. 

I dis-assembled my collar bone into 4 pieces two years ago. I didn't know this till in the operating theatre ante-room. One of my options at the earlier consultaion had been to just leave it to heal itself :ermm: which would have left limited range and an odd shape I suspect, not great for an active cyclist/climber.....

Anyway, 1 plate and 13 screws later it was sort off re-assembled, started physio (private) at 1 week, driving after 4 weeks, back at work at 6 (construction) but I wasn't supposed to over exert or work above shoulder height with it. Pretty much sorted at 8 weeks, no issues since bar loss of a bit of skin feel as nerve had to be cut to get the plate in, full range/strength.

Best wishes for the recovery

Mark

mossmonaco,

Apologies in advance for not recalling your real name (see minor spat in the "When Leaders don't" thread.   This time I looked on your personal page but couldn't find it!)

I am delighted for my ex-colleagues in medicine that you were so pleased with the way they treated you, right down to the straight-faced scolding for making jokes!  Proper NHS!  May I suggest, if you haven't done it already?   Some hospitals' web sites include a section for comments, and while those often contain complaints, praise is always welcome!

And finally , as they used to ay at the end of the TV news, that shaved patch on your thigh wasn't an ironic reply to your joke, but where they put the "diathermy plate".  This is an earth for the high frequency electricity device that the surgeon uses to stop bleeding.   In the tiny area of the end of a pair of forceps, it heats the tissue.    Over a large area of skin it doesn't, but it needs good contact and skin hair can prevent that.

John

• Like 1

Thanks John (and others). Ive done the website comments and written some personal letters of thanks. I will bow to your superior knowledge about the diathermy plate but the idea that they did it as an ironic reposte is so delicious that I will choose to believe it as an "alternative fact" and "alternative facts" are always immutably true!

don't suppose anyone is interested in buying a ladder? it comes with a rapid decent facility and its only slightly dented....

Simon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mossmonaco said:

the idea that they did it as an ironic reposte is so delicious that I will choose to believe it as an "alternative fact" and "alternative facts" are always immutably true!

:smile: This…. 
Good to see your sense of humour is intact.

I’m going to pass on the ladder offer though. Once they get a taste for human flesh….

Sorry to hear about your accident Simon and the repercussions. I wish you a steely determination for physio rehab; it is very hard to keep up with the exercises in my experience (knee) but depressing if you don't.

Hopefully you'll find a routine for the exercises that works.

And a reminder to all the rest of us that ladders are more dangerous than we give them credit for. My work sent me on a two-day course (!) before allowing me to climb a ladder for them.

We all have a great example to follow in Triumph - Andy Cook, who had a knee replacement this year and has already achieved near 90 degree knee flexion and is back on his bike!  All down to determined and scrupulous following of physio exercises.  Well done, Andy!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 1:15 PM, PeteStupps said:

Sorry to hear about your accident Simon and the repercussions. I wish you a steely determination for physio rehab; it is very hard to keep up with the exercises in my experience (knee) but depressing if you don't.

Hopefully you'll find a routine for the exercises that works.

And a reminder to all the rest of us that ladders are more dangerous than we give them credit for. My work sent me on a two-day course (!) before allowing me to climb a ladder for them.

it wasn't the ladder that did the damage- it was more to do with the way the ground got in the way of my fall.

Seriously-I was incredibly stupid and careless. I was working in a tall coridor using a section of an extending ladder.  Because of the limited ceiling height it was not possible to put the ladder sufficiently vertical. I was working alone in an empty building late at night and I was overtired. While up the ladder drilling and screwing to attach trunking to the wall (yes i was making things worse by pushing against the tool wall in the direction the ladder would slip) I heard the 'creaking' sound as the ladder started to slide and failed to act on the warning. 

We can all look back at our youth and wonder how on earth we survived acts of mindblowing stupidity, at the age of 62 I dont seem to have learned enough.

I have an appointment for post-operative assessment and xrays on friday- I'm going to get coppies of my x-rays and hang them on the wall as a reminder.

Thankyou to those who have sent their regards, please dont be as stupid as I was!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simon,

You will sympathise with this:

Respected sir,

When I got to the top of the building, I found that the hurricane had knocked some bricks off the top. So I rigged up a beam with a pulley at the top of the building and hoisted up a couple of barrels full of bricks.
When I had fixed the building, there was a lot of bricks left over.
I hoisted the barrel back up again and secured the line at the bottom and then went up and filled the barrel with extra bricks.
Then I went to the bottom and cast off the line.

Unfortunately, the barrel of bricks was heavier than I was and before I knew what was happening, the barrel started down, jerking me off the ground.
I decided to hang on, and halfway up, I met the barrel coming down and received a severe blow on the shoulder.
I then continued to the top, banging my head against the beam and getting my fingers jammed in the pulley.

When the barrel hit the ground, it burst its bottom, allowing all the bricks to spill out.
I was now heavier than the barrel and so started down again at high speed.
Halfway down I met the barrel coming up and received severe injury to my shins.
When I hit the ground I landed on the bricks, getting several painful cuts from the sharp edges!

At this point I must have lost my presence of mind because I let go the line.
The barrel then came down, giving me another heavy blow on the head and putting me in hospital!

I respectfully request sick leave.

This was by the late and lamented Gerard Hoffnung, who made it much funnier when he spoke it.  Gerard Hoffnung - The Bricklayers Story (youtube.com)

JOhn

Edited by JohnD
  • Haha 1

You and me have a similar sense of humour Simon.

Reading above cheered me up no end whilst sitting here in bed 317 at Derby Royal Hosp.

Feel a bit of a fraud being here really.

The guy opposite me is in a bad way but you couldn't wish to meet a happier chap, in lots of pain, difficulty moving etc. but he's always giggling away.

They tried twice and failed to take any blood. His comment.."see I told you I was dead" and off he goes giggling again. Bless him.

It appears I have pneumonia, weird when I came in with high blood sugars. I am type 2.

Was feeling weak and had head throb....suspected manflu. Head sorted with paracetamol and codienes but sugar wouldn't drop and last tested was 31.8.

They still testing.

But how the hell did I catch pneumonia?

I work from home and only go out to either M&S or B&Q. With the amount of money I spending there, they can't be trying to kill me! And being an anti social arse, don't venture out much....so does Shelsley Walsh need a government health warning?

Then there's the woman in the bay opposite. She keeps going off on one shouting help, help, help...then, ah Janice glad you're here.....then lots of other little snippets from her past...wonder what it's like in her world...ah we now hear someone has just throw some of her money down.....on what or where only she knows!

Bless her too.

2 hours ago, Steve 13-60 said:

You and me have a similar sense of humour Simon.

Reading above cheered me up no end whilst sitting here in bed 317 at Derby Royal Hosp.

Feel a bit of a fraud being here really.

The guy opposite me is in a bad way but you couldn't wish to meet a happier chap, in lots of pain, difficulty moving etc. but he's always giggling away.

They tried twice and failed to take any blood. His comment.."see I told you I was dead" and off he goes giggling again. Bless him.

It appears I have pneumonia, weird when I came in with high blood sugars. I am type 2.

Was feeling weak and had head throb....suspected manflu. Head sorted with paracetamol and codienes but sugar wouldn't drop and last tested was 31.8.

They still testing.

But how the hell did I catch pneumonia?

I work from home and only go out to either M&S or B&Q. With the amount of money I spending there, they can't be trying to kill me! And being an anti social arse, don't venture out much....so does Shelsley Walsh need a government health warning?

It's strange- I certainly didn't feel like a fraud occupying a hospital bed with a broken shoulder.

People don't genaraly die from a broken shoulder. Without hospital treatment pneumonia (the old mans friend) kills millions of people per year. A week bofore my accident I visited an elderly friend of mine who was 'under the weather' At first I listened to his pleas that he was OK, but the next day I put my foot down and against his wishes rang 111. The ambulence took him into hospital on blue lights (pneumonia). He survived because he went to hospital.

Think of it this way-if you hadn't heroicly inhaled th nasty litly paticle of contageon that resulted in your pneumonia then someone else would have. Despite your diabetes you selflessly 'took the bullet' that might have laid waste to some poor MG owner! Also, thank heavens it wasn't manflu- its a well known scientific(alternative) fact that manflu is 23 times more debilitating than pregnancy.

A few years ago my mum had  replacement knee joints fitted. before she went under the knife I suggested she should tell the surgeon that she would like to be given the removed bits of bone to take home afterwards. Naturaly the surgeon asked why (got him) and recieved the deadpan answer - for the dog.  

Forcing herself to do the physio made mum cry with pain, but at those times she could recall the look on the surgeons face.

Hope you are coping ok and that you will soon be back cossetted in your draught-free Herald getting blasted with hot air from the powerfull heater fan

Mum is now 87 and thinks nothing of taking the dog for a two mile walk in hilly cornwall

16 hours ago, mossmonaco said:

it wasn't the ladder that did the damage- it was more to do with the way the ground got in the way of my fall.

Seriously-I was incredibly stupid and careless. I was working in a tall coridor using a section of an extending ladder.  Because of the limited ceiling height it was not possible to put the ladder sufficiently vertical. I was working alone in an empty building late at night and I was overtired. While up the ladder drilling and screwing to attach trunking to the wall (yes i was making things worse by pushing against the tool wall in the direction the ladder would slip) I heard the 'creaking' sound as the ladder started to slide and failed to act on the warning. 

We can all look back at our youth and wonder how on earth we survived acts of mindblowing stupidity, at the age of 62 I dont seem to have learned enough.

I have an appointment for post-operative assessment and xrays on friday- I'm going to get coppies of my x-rays and hang them on the wall as a reminder.

Thankyou to those who have sent their regards, please dont be as stupid as I was!

You were very lucky. 

I had a friend who was very capable at DIY and was working up a ladder in his garage, not very high, and the ladder slipped, he fell and hit his head on the concrete.
Went into a coma and died a few days later. So unexpected and sudden...

mike

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, mpbarrett said:

You were very lucky. 

I had a friend who was very capable at DIY and was working up a ladder in his garage, not very high, and the ladder slipped, he fell and hit his head on the concrete.
Went into a coma and died a few days later. So unexpected and sudden...

mike

Yes, in many ways I was lucky. Didnt die, didnt break my neck did it in a country with a nhs, didnt do too much damage to the ladder....

• Haha 1

Hi Steve,

nobody expects to get Pneumonia - it just appears.

In your sedentary life style (that you described) try breathing deeply and regularly.

This will help remove excess fluids from your lungs, and this is where the bugs love it.

Roger

Pneumonia is a weird one, always considered it to be an older persons illness until last week when my lad was admitted to hospital with it. He is 15. I have never seen him look so rough. He is a scrawny athletic type and gave no other warnings other than having flu type symptoms.

He is home now and on the mend, just need to curtail his athletic abilities for a while.

Pneumonia? Pah, had worse mosquito bites! Only came in cos concerned about high blood pressure. I'm type 2 and it was over 30, normally less than 5. Plus chronic lymphatic leukemia.....which is my main concern. Heamo dept useless, they phone to tell you you have Leukemia. No explanations. So you go into blind panic mode assuming ya gonna pop ya clogs any minute. Then 6 weeks later they say...Oh, we're not concerned, just gonna put you on watch.

F**k me, if you said that on the first call the whole family wouldn't have worried and I would have bothered McMillans.

They sent me a letter saying they will call on date X and to organise a blood test. Earliest I could get was the date following the call. But ya can't phone em. So have to let them call you so you can tell them. Then he says, ok, we'll phone again in 3 months! I was f**kin livid and shouted, No, you'll phone within a week and tell me what crack is...

So far....radio silence.

Should have posted on Rants really.

Meanwhile I'm sat here buzzing with energy like a Duracell bunny, but tied to a bed!

Wanna go home and finish building me kitchen.