• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Recent Posts

• Hello All                   I got as far as windows 10 and thought that's enough I do not want things on the cloud(just store them to a big old hard drive ? I up grade our laptops to Solid state drives but only 500GB which is enough for normal things and starts up quick! Then back up onto your old mega hard drive because you are not after speed then! Plus they do not seem to want Defraging??(different thechnolagy??) plus as cheap as chips now? Roger ps I maybe talking complete rowlocks but it seems to work for us? pps I did buy a cd off Fleabay which is a dealer one so I can load W10 as many times as I like and it was cheap?
    • Windows 11 is just willfully different for no apparent reason other than being different 
    • Chuck showing inside and outside jaws fitted (yes, yes, I know - illustrative only!). This because I found a stray set of jaws. Unfortunately they are for the cheap chuck on the turntable, not the one on the lathe. I use aerosol cutting and drilling lube from Toolstation.
    • Known as a condutor air gap in the trade
    • Yeah…… Building on the “improvements” already inflicted by W10.   The one-drive and cloud business really winds me up.
    • Hi Folks just wanted to put this on your radar as a fun run out with the Guildford Motor Club non members welcome https://guildfordmotorclub.org.uk/?page_id=403 devised to honour my dad as a founder member and instrumental in getting his mate Mike Hawthorn to be the Hon Pres when it started.  great bunch of people who alway organise great runs and mapping. 
    • cleaned and given away...    I 'thought' I had copied everything across to the new PC... I am very careful about backing stuff up and keeping copies on the PC, NAS box, NAS box backed up to USB disk and USB disk put into shed etc... I might go back to an old backup (plenty from since 2018 when I first fitted the EFI), and then start from there. I will do an in situ calibration of the temp sensor today and get that working. Its surprising critical to EFI software, nothing seems to work properly unless you have a good accurate temperature reading!   Changing the default locations for the Document folder is much more difficult than it was before Windows 11..... I could start a separate rant about the 'improvements' put into Windows11.. mike
    • An update on my broadband issues. After it just stopped working my first call to BT diagnosed a failed router and a new one sent out. That arrived a couple of days later but didn't work either. My second call to BT the diagnosis was a line fault in the house which would require a BT (actually EE) engineer to come out. First appointment was a week away. He came round, listened to what I had to say and pretty quickly suggested that the problem was in the local cabinet not at the house. Either a failed component or 'finger trouble' by someone doing work in there at the time I got cut off. He did his standard tests for the records and then handed things over to Openreach for the 'outside' stuff. Two days later a pair of engineers arrived and sure enough someone working in the cabinet had disconnect my line. Back on line in 20 minutes. Apparently this is not an uncommon issue. The 4G router did a fair job while all this was going on. The main issue being that the 4G signal in our area is not that good (quite a lot of Glasgow is a bit average) and combined with the the thick stone walls of the house made things rather slow. As for 5G...
    • This is very annoying. All changeable in the file settings but still just a faff. And occasionally a major OS update points things back to the cloud again. The assumption that we're all instantly connected to a high speed data link at all times is just effing arrogant. Bah humbug. Anyhoo. Go with Roger's suggestion if you can to recover things.
  • Topics