Herald / Vitesse wiper motor upgrades.

mk2vitesses

I posted this on the Club Triumph forum, but thinking about it most members on that forum would not be into modding stuff!

So the plan was to two speed my Heralds wipers as I had done on the Vitesse.

Back when The Vitesse was modified I was led to believe the "Field" coil was a special, I set off and bought a dud DR3A unit from a MK1 / 2 Jaguar.

The unit had six wires not the three + earth on the TR wipers, I found a great write up by the MGA Guru.

This is where I found that the extra winding was in fact a 10 ohm resistor, there is a handy spot where the park mech on the Jag unit is unused in the Herald / Vitesse DR3.

So I added a resistor 10R 10W, I now have a two speed wiper for about £5, I replaced the brushes while it was apart for £10.

Anyway I refurbished the Jag unit and plan to sell it on as it worth more used as intended.

I have bought one of these switches to complete the job.

https://www.autoelectricalpartsuk.co.uk/automotive-switches/automotive-rotary-switch/wiperblade-control-switch-064650

I hope this is of use to someone. 

20220917_181109.jpg

20220917_181129.jpg

20220917_183442.jpg

20220918_170931.jpg

20220918_173257.jpg

20220922_133315.jpg

Hi M2V

having mod'd it to 2 speed I'm sure you are aware that FAST speed uses ONE wire (with the resistor) - green/Brown on the TR

And that slow speed is TWO wires  Green/Brown + Green/Red.

GREEN = 12V

Black = earth

On the TR as standard the Fast speed came ON withthe first click.  SLOW was second click.  BUT this is not absolute. It can be wired the other way round.

Roger

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi M2V

having moded it to 2 speed I'm sure you are aware that FAST speed uses ONE wire (with the resistor) - green/Brown on the TR

And that slow speed is TWO wires  Green/Brown + Green/Red.

GREEN = 12V

Black = earth

On the TR as standard the Fast speed came ON with the first click.  SLOW was second click.  BUT this is not absolute. It can be wired the other way round.

Roger

Hi Roger, yes I'm well up on that. Did my Vitesse years ago.

I was told at the time by the only place I could find fixing these motors, the field coil was special on two speeds with a extra winding. I never looked into it as I had plenty else to keep me busy!

The field winding isn't special. It is a single winding - and this gives the single speed with its max torque.

Lucas used a resistance wire to give the higher speed when switched in.  It must have been cheaper than a fixed power resistor.

It looks like a winding but ut isn't

Roger

4 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Thanks for posting this Simon. Who knew it was so simple!

Thanks also to Roger for the additional details to complete the picture. :smile:

No problem, I was surprised at how easy it was!

Again these diagrams were from the MGA guru, both switches closed is slow, slow switch open is fast.

A simple Off On, On switch would work, with a diode to provide the armature return path. Polarity subject to the cars battery polarity.

Screenshot_20220922-222152_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20220922-222207_Drive.jpg

On 9/28/2022 at 10:34 AM, Nick Jones said:

Thanks for posting this Simon. Who knew it was so simple!

Thanks also to Roger for the additional details to complete the picture. :smile:

Been looking at rain sensors, there are several ways it is done. The most common seems to be the IR sensor, Infrared light is beamed at the windscreen at 45 degrees. The reflected IR is sensed by a IR diode, when rain is on the screen the IR gets defused.

I might look into using one for an intermittent wipe function.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mk2vitesses said:

Been looking at rain sensors, there are several ways it is done. The most common seems to be the IR sensor, Infrared light is beamed at the windscreen at 45 degrees. The reflected IR is sensed by a IR diode, when rain is on the screen the IR gets defused.

I might look into using one for an intermittent wipe function.

very interested, I do find auto wiper very useful on our Golf 
I think they have some clever self calibration in them to cope with different conditions. I expect that the systems on most moderns will be bus based so could be difficult to reuse on a Triumph.

mike

Clever stuff indeed. Thanks for posting.

Wipers are one particular feature where older cars lag behind today,
(when I ever get it on the road,) I am going to try aero wiper blades on my Dolomite Sprint.
Dolomites already have a two speed motor operating levers, but it may prove necessary to swap
the wheelboxes to permit fitting more modern wiper arms with stronger springs?

The reason for trying aero blades is really to avoid the rather shite rubber in "tradition" blades or refills
although I did find completely by chance that OE Fiat 35cm back window blades were rather good.......

I did once have to pull over and stop during heavy whilst driving a T2000 because the wipers were only making 
matters worse. Went and bought Lucas (when they still existed) the next day.

Thanks,
Ian

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

very interested, I do find auto wiper very useful on our Golf 
I think they have some clever self calibration in them to cope with different conditions. I expect that the systems on most moderns will be bus based so could be difficult to reuse on a Triumph.

mike

i have bought for £6 off Ebay a IR sensor made by Hella, I will see if I can use it in some auto wipe system.

The sensor is not on a buss system, there is a control module that reads the IR level to detect rain.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Hopefully that’s all ended up as you first intended…..

Where will you place the sensor? Some seem quite bulky?

Found this….

https://cdn.hswstatic.com/pdf/rain-sensor.pdf

I had brain fog, drew the cct in pen then thought I'll do a nice cad cct!

The one I have gone for sticks to the screen behind the interior mirror.

Nissan Micra, Renault Megane sensor. Uses IR to sense rain by absorption of reflected IR.

Picture 1 of 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 1:06 PM, mpbarrett said:

just come across this rain sensor,
Intelligent Rain Detection Module - Pimoroni it has  serial O/P so would need a micro to read it.
but it is very small, 12mm diameter so could fit behind the mirror in a herald.

BTW Pimoroni has all sorts of lovely electronic gadgets :) 

Mike

SEN0545_768x768.jpg?v=1662994009

An image of Intelligent Rain Detection Module

Nice looking device.

It would be the better option to use a micro, but sometimes the KIS principal is best.

The analogue nature of the sensor I have will not require any programming skills.

Have you found any info on interfacing the unit?