new (and old?) scams, spams and phishing.

JohnD

Thanks, Phil!  Yes, we seem to have similar banking arrangements!

I reported this event to my bank manager, who provided the correct phone number, which I fear I can't recall is the same as before.    I rang them, and they confirmed the same story, that there was a problem at their end with emailing to 'btinternet.com' addresses, which they promise to fix.  This is reassuring, but what was not was that again, I was asked as part of the security questions for digits from my online account passnumber!   And, more than once!

You may have seen this TV  commercial - it was from Barclay's not NatWest, but still:

Bad practice, I'd say, and I'll raise it with  NatWest.

John

• 2 weeks later...

An ad for this appeared on Facebook:

Nanofilm Ecoslick - For 2 license plates (European version) - Alite with ❤️

It claims to obscure one or all of the characters on your car's registration plate, thus making you immune to speed cameras!     This has to be illegal!   It certainly is immoral.   But Facebook doesn't have a option to say "Illegal"!   Only "Misleading or Scam", "Sexually in appropriate" Etc Etc.   Says a lot  about Facebooks ethics.

John

• 1 month later...

Anyone else had this one - at least, I think it's one.

On Fb, you get a "friend request" from someone who is a friend, of a friend etc.   I've had them from people I know personally as well.    They say as my latest does, but not in the same words:

"Have you heard about the CNCS?"

I've replied, "CNCS?", thinking this was some Championship.

"They help both young and old citizens to improve the standard of living and quality of life by Regional Economic Development Authority and I received $100,000 when i applied, don’t have to pay back. No qualifications needed I actually thought you’ve heard already, I think you need to check this out by contacting their claiming help desk and also it’s real and legitimate program . Do you know how to apply?"

Now, CNCS is a US agency, the Corporation for National and Community Service, that makes grants "to support the American culture of citizenship, service, and responsibility" according to the US Library of Congress.  But the message uses dollars, from an American org that supports American causes.   And mentions $100,000!    In the UK??

And WHICH? has a warning about this or a very similar scam: https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/this-scam-offers-you-a-fake-grant-through-facebook-messenger-aPfVw0a2Jvvr outlining just the approach that I have had, on several occasions.

I told my putative friend this, and got  a hurt response - how could I think that they could stoop so low, or be so stupid?  But that could be from the scammers.     Goodbye never 'friend'!

John