What's your vice?

TR5tar

No, I'm afraid the topic might not be as interesting as it sounds. 

Out tidying in the garage last night, I sat at the work bench idly spinning the bar of my vice, and as I did so I noticed a slight judder on it as the jaws parted and a gritty sound as it moved. It has probably been like this for years, but I'd never really noticed, probably because I'd been too focused on whatever job I was using the vice for at the time.  Anyhow, I cleaned the vice up a bit and greased it, and it now runs fine. It did start me thinking ... it could be that that vice hasn't seen fresh grease in 40 years. I can remember my father and grandfather making the bench and fitting the vice when I was about 10 or 11, so that's 42 years ago. I suspect the vice originally belonged to my grandfather, and I know that he'd have kept it in good order, but my father wasn't too hot on maintaining tools, so I doubt he ever greased it, not that I can criticise, as I've had it nearly 8 years and have only just done it.

All this made me wonder about the age of the vice. I cannot see a name of the maker on it, but on one side it says "Made in England" and on the other it says "No. 3A", and some other letters that I cannot make out, before the number "68982".   Does anyone recognise this particular vice and know its age? 

IMG_2090.JPG

If you think Classic cars attract anoraks then try looking at Vices (or perhaps Vises) on the internet. There are some serious devotees out there - and I mean that in the engineering sense.

Difficult to read serial numbers:- ever tried Brass rubbing? Used to make an impression or copy of a brass tomb engraving, but rubbing a pencil over a sheet of paper against engraved or raised numbers on engineering can bring out even very difficult to read lettering.

Alan

22 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

What are the chances that the writing is Rd689821 ?

If so, google Parkinson Handy Vise.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/show-us-your-bench-vice-s.52872/page-141

You've nailed it, thanks. It is indeed Rd689821. Looks to be something a bit different and possibly a bit older than I originally thought. I've not found information on the exact model, but there's this page about the maker ... https://www.northlincsweb.net/ParkinsonsShipley/html/vises.html