IPhones in UK?

Amigos, How does it work to buy an IPhone in UK?  I'm thinking of getting my wife a 7S for Christmas.  My provider, Virgin USA, has used and new phones for sale at a slight discount.  What's the easy way to get one in UK?  I believe her provider is EE?  I expect stocks to dwindle soon as Christmas approaches and I don't expect 10 sales to increase the supply.  Any thoughts or opinions?  I'll be in town at the end of October so I plan to hit the local mall on a day she works.  Thanx, Steve

In town, as in UKtown, Steve?  DEpends which town but hook-up with some Sidewayers?

I bought a new phone last year, staying with my provider (vodafone), went to a Vodafone shop, and it was a five minute job to transfer my chip and all my contacts to the new phone, at no cost.    It may be as easy if you wnat to change provider, I don't know.

BUT, I think there might be difficulties if you took the new phone home to Vegas.     I bought mine specifically to go to Rio - when I got there, no Vodafone network, nada!   I bought a cheap burner phone, which did me while I was there.

JOhn

Yeah, there's very mixed opinions on USA spec and UK spec phones being interchangeable.  They're much cheaper in US but they don't work with a few providers.  All very techie and complex if you're over forty I guess...

I'll be in Hemel Hempstead for a few days.

Edited by GT6Steve

Hi Steve

You can either buy phones that are locked to a specific cellular supplier (or their international partners when roaming), if you put in a sim from a different cellular supplier it will be blocked. Or you can buy an open phone that will accept sim's from any cellular operator.

You can also buy S/H phones that have been unlocked/jail broken from their original supplier.

I use an  open phone, so can buy and use a sim from any operator if I wish. When I go to the States I usually pick up a cheap PAYG sim, as my phone has dual sim slots so can decide if I want to use the operator Vodaphone has as a partner in the US or the US sim.

If you can pick up an open/unlocked 7s in the States then your wife ought to be able to just pop in the sim from her UK provider and go, at worst if its a different size sim, they will normally supply a new one, and the good providers will also do a data transfer service. If your buying one from Virgin USA just check it isn't locked to their network (if they do that in the States)

Alan

On a very quick look, unlocked S/H iphone 7's on ebay here,  cheapest £400 most  £600-900

As opposed to new & on a 24 month contract from Vodaphone including data and calls

Get 10GB of free data
16GB + extra 10GB of 4G data
Unlimited minutes
Unlimited texts
Take your home plan abroad
3-month free trial of Secure Net, then £1 a month thereafter
 £48 a month  £10 upfront

So sometimes its a weigh up if its cheaper, to buy a phone outright, then buy a sim only data/call/text monthly plan from a provider, or to just take the bundle including everything from the provider. 

Alan

I'll be there Friday Evening, October 26 and fly out Tuesday Afternoon, October 31.  I'm not sure what she has planned for the weekend but I know I'm free Monday morning.  It's a long way to drive and there is that working for a living bit but otherwise I'd be tickled to meet ya.

got it and replied.  There's always glitches in any system, particularly when new.  If it's any clue it says my Inbox is full and stays that way after deleting some messages.  Had no idea I had 231 inbox messages.  Must've never been emptied LOL

Unlocked IPhones can be purchased direct from Apple stores in the UK.

Nearest one to Hemel Hempstead is in Watford - https://opening-hours.today/en/view/openinghours/apple-store/intu-watford-shopping-centre/watford/55a3cdec1e782#lat=51.753241&lng=-0.44863199999997505&p=hemel-hempstead

I just drop a local PAYG sim into my unlocked iPhone, works a treat.

Another option is to buy an unlocked iPhone from Argos.

I don't think I have ever been to Hemel Hempstead although I think I may have passed through /close by on a train,

anyhow a Google search shows two Argos stores in HH:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&q=Is+there+an+Argos+in+Hemel+Hempstead%3F&oq=Is+there+an+Argos+in+Hemel+Hempstead%3F&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160k1.2409.19192.0.19620.37.37.0.0.0.0.211.3371.33j3j1.37.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.36.3278...0j46j0i131k1j0i46k1j0i3k1j33i22i29i30k1j33i21k1.0.fe0ehoHv1Sg

Ian.